Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1020796 - 01/28/20 06:19 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
If I remember correctly, someone told me that one of the Tribal hatcheries were experimenting in holding hand spawned hen steelhead in tanks, giving them seeing what could be done to get them healthy before releasing them, things like putting into salt water tanks, feeding them and giving them antibodies, etc. . The hope was to get a high percentage of hatchery or brood stock repeat spawners. Has anyone heard of any experiments in doing this, and if so what the results were, and if not, then why not?

#1020797 - 01/28/20 06:34 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I know this has been tried off and on since the 70s. Also know that some hatchery steelhead were "reconditioned" and put into lowland lakes for OD.

#1020799 - 01/28/20 06:55 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
My team did try steelhead reconditioning. First thing is you need them into a reconditioning pond to start as soon as you can, the longer you hold them the greater the mortality. Second your going to need a more than one barrel of formalin. ( fungus ) Then getting them on feed to build up their strength is critical and floating feed works best.

Now straight to a lake just as soon they arrive at a hatchery works best but most hatcheries cannot do that as eggtake is important. Bottom line it can be done but you will loose around half of the adults. Then when you get them into a lake strangely enough they do not bite well until late summer and then they are as aggressive as can be. No idea why other than it takes that long to get themselves right.

Edited by Rivrguy (01/28/20 06:57 PM)

#1020803 - 01/28/20 07:48 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: Krijack]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Krijack
If I remember correctly, someone told me that one of the Tribal hatcheries were experimenting in holding hand spawned hen steelhead in tanks, giving them seeing what could be done to get them healthy before releasing them, things like putting into salt water tanks, feeding them and giving them antibodies, etc. . The hope was to get a high percentage of hatchery or brood stock repeat spawners. Has anyone heard of any experiments in doing this, and if so what the results were, and if not, then why not?

I think that the Yakama Nation has been doing this consistently longer than anyone else I know. Here are links to some of their project reports:

CRITFC Steelhead Kelt Reconditioning

Yakama Nation Steelhead Kelt Reconditioning

And a presentation to the PSMFC (For some reason the link procedure wouldn't work here:
https://www.psmfc.org/steelhead/2016/Hatch_Tues_PM_Kelt_Steelhead_PSMFC_2016.pdf

Edited by OncyT (01/28/20 08:06 PM)

#1020804 - 01/28/20 07:54 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
River Nutrients

One year on our creeks we had huge Carpenter Ant emergence. The wild steelhead kelts (especially females) were plugged with them and in really nice shape. We had some pretty bright ones whose bellies were rather tight. Further, we passed downstream almost every female that had gone up. Some were close to dead and really fungused while others were pretty clean.

Often thought that fishing a big black ant, dry, in late May on a steelhead river just might be a kick.

#1020831 - 01/29/20 09:05 AM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: Carcassman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Often thought that fishing a big black ant, dry, in late May on a steelhead river just might be a kick.

It's almost like you had a flashback to the Wenatchee River in the early 80s wink

A black ant in the surface film was actually quite productive...but those were summer runs, of course.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1020839 - 01/29/20 11:00 AM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
River Nutrients

I was working with winters, but the females really gorged post spawning.

I wonder if, pre all the development and logging, if there weren't big spring bug emergences like ants and termites that helped feed the kelts.

#1020840 - 01/29/20 11:02 AM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I remember some study done on a remote stream in Russia I think that didn’t have any fishing pressure. I think something like 30% of the females were repeat spawners.

Males were much lower as females dump their eggs and head back out while males will hang around and try to spawn multiple females so have much higher mortality.

#1020841 - 01/29/20 11:04 AM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: Carcassman]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I was working with winters, but the females really gorged post spawning.

I wonder if, pre all the development and logging, if there weren't big spring bug emergences like ants and termites that helped feed the kelts.

For sure.

#1020846 - 01/29/20 11:39 AM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I hope that, unlike with the Snider Creek program, WDFW actually monitors the success of this program with respect to number of broodstock captured, number of eggs derived, egg to fry success, fry to smolt success, and most importantly, smolt to recruit rate. Absent these parameters it will be impossible to know if the program is any improvement over leaving the natural broodstock in the river doing their reproduction . . . naturally.

While producing fish for harvest is a desirable outcome, I'm less enthused if it comes at the expense of simply annually mining wild broodstock from the natural environment and its wild steelhead population.

#1020849 - 01/29/20 12:18 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
River Nutrients

Some of the Kamchatkan streams have 90% repeats and many Alaskan streams are above 50%, with most being female.

Just given the situation in Kamchatka (really cold water) I would expect old smolts. As I have noted before, I have never seen a wild run in WA/OR/CA where the first time spawners had an R/S that averaged 1.0; they were all lower. The Keogh study showed that as smolts got older, the river produced fewer, exacerbating the R/S issue. Repeats are mandatory for wild steelhead, unless you can find a system where almost all the smolts are age-1. And, as noted above, most of the repeats are females.

#1020854 - 01/29/20 12:53 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: Salmo g.]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I hope that, unlike with the Snider Creek program, WDFW actually monitors the success of this program with respect to number of broodstock captured, number of eggs derived, egg to fry success, fry to smolt success, and most importantly, smolt to recruit rate. Absent these parameters it will be impossible to know if the program is any improvement over leaving the natural broodstock in the river doing their reproduction . . . naturally.

While producing fish for harvest is a desirable outcome, I'm less enthused if it comes at the expense of simply annually mining wild broodstock from the natural environment and its wild steelhead population.

I couldn't agree more.

#1020859 - 01/29/20 01:08 PM Re: Calawah captive brood steelhead [Re: bushbear]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
This has always been my problem with broodstock programs, as well...if there was documented proof that they resulted in more wild fish, or even a no net loss to wild fish while adding harvestable wild-ish hatchery fish to the mix, I'd be all over it.

Mostly what I hear from the proponents, however, is anecdotal and focused on the quality of the hatchery fish they get to harvest.

If all we are doing is removing wild fish from the gene pool, making hatchery fish out of them, and harvesting them, then we may as well just harvest the wild fish, that program costs zero dollars.

Or...don't.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman), 1088 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |