Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1021885 - 02/10/20 11:50 PM One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

WDFW News Release

OLYMPIA – Fishery managers with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) approved a limited-opening recreational smelt fishery for Friday, Feb. 14.

A portion of the Cowlitz River will be open to recreational dip netting along the shore from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. for one day only.

The portion of the river open to dip netting extends from the Highway 432 Bridge upstream to the Al Helenberg Memorial Boat Ramp, located approximately 1,300 feet upstream from the Highway 411/A Street Bridge in Castle Rock.

This is the first year since 2017 that a recreational smelt fishery has opened on the Cowlitz. Columbia River smelt – also known as Eulachon – were listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in 2010.

Each dip-netter may retain 10 pounds of smelt per day, with no more than one day's limit in possession. Ten pounds is about a quarter of a 5-gallon bucket. No fishing license is required to dip net for smelt in this limited fishery.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1021886 - 02/10/20 11:54 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

The actual memo must have been written by a English major.....it went on and on and on.

I shortened it......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1021900 - 02/11/20 08:27 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I hope Russia got the message so they can line the river bank with the usual cast of characters.

#1021929 - 02/11/20 10:49 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

One half day on a work day, with less than a week's notice. Glad I don't depend on the smelt fishery being a reasonable opportunity....

#1022057 - 02/12/20 07:07 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
IMO - if a "run" of any type of wildlife will only support a 1/2 day opening every couple of years, then it should just be shut down entirely. Maybe I'm wrong here, but that doesn't sound like sustainable conservation to me.

But hey...thanks for the "opportunity" WDFW!

#1022067 - 02/12/20 07:54 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I suspect this opening has more to do with the fact that they are having a commercial opener for this same destroyed run.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1022069 - 02/12/20 07:57 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: NickD90]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: NickD90
IMO - if a "run" of any type of wildlife will only support a 1/2 day opening every couple of years, then it should just be shut down entirely. Maybe I'm wrong here, but that doesn't sound like sustainable conservation to me.

But hey...thanks for the "opportunity" WDFW!

Agreed. Gotta get that "threatened" designation downgraded ASAP apparently....

#1022070 - 02/12/20 08:38 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Rape the resource until it's quit kicking that's our motto..

#1022080 - 02/12/20 09:17 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I fail to see how WDFW can open this fishery for anyone. These are ESA-listed fish. This is NOT incidental take. It’s direct take. And there are no hatchery smelt that might compete with wild smelt on the spawning grounds. These are all wild fish. NMFS can exempt ‘incidental take’ but I’m not sure how they can allow ‘direct take’ of a listed species.

Plus, there is no requirement to possess a fishing license! This galls me more than anything. Given their budget situation, why does WDFW allow participation in this fishery without a license?! Anyone from anywhere can dip 10lbs of an ESA listed species without so much as a $15 fishing license. So an unlimited number of people can harvest a State-owned resource without providing any support to the State. I know of no other fishery anywhere in the State that allows the harvest of a State-owned resource without a license. How hard is it to require one?

And given the precarious situation in the ocean, principally the lack of forage fish, why are we harvesting the spawning adults?

This is an outrage, on a number of levels.

#1022081 - 02/12/20 09:31 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
NickD90 Offline

To add, how much will be spent on enforcement? You know there will be a couple of field officers in there checking limits.

Wouldn't those dollars be better suited for something else that is more viable? LIKE A SEASON FOR A CERTAIN RIVER SYSTEM UP NORTH!!!

foul

#1022082 - 02/12/20 09:42 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

You guys are soooo nearsighted.

Obviously WDFW needs to get some filming done on their reality TV series.

Some camera time and 15 seconds of fame far outweigh the needs of the WA State sportsmen.

#1022084 - 02/12/20 09:46 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
NickD90 Offline

Break out your best track suits fellas...we gettin' on TV!

Dosvedanya little river smelt!

#1022085 - 02/12/20 09:47 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: cohoangler]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Great observation cohoangler. You are 100% right.

Especially without the CR endorsement not in effect anymore.

What a circus.

#1022087 - 02/12/20 09:52 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: NickD90]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Break out your best track suits fellas...we gettin' on TV!

Dosvedanya little river smelt!

"So, no good eh, full buket."
I jus move here.
what is regulation?"

I see it too often...Especially on that river.

#1022089 - 02/12/20 09:57 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Why doesn't someone send that bit of info to the Daily Olympian????

"I fail to see how WDFW can open this fishery for anyone. These are ESA-listed fish. This is NOT incidental take. It’s direct take. And there are no hatchery smelt that might compete with wild smelt on the spawning grounds. These are all wild fish. NMFS can exempt ‘incidental take’ but I’m not sure how they can allow ‘direct take’ of a listed species.

Plus, there is no requirement to possess a fishing license! This galls me more than anything. Given their budget situation, why does WDFW allow participation in this fishery without a license?! Anyone from anywhere can dip 10lbs of an ESA listed species without so much as a $15 fishing license. So an unlimited number of people can harvest a State-owned resource without providing any support to the State. I know of no other fishery anywhere in the State that allows the harvest of a State-owned resource without a license. How hard is it to require one?

And given the precarious situation in the ocean, principally the lack of forage fish, why are we harvesting the spawning adults?

This is an outrage, on a number of levels."

#1022090 - 02/12/20 09:57 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Hang em high bitches!!!!

#1022109 - 02/12/20 11:36 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I believe that the license requirement comes from the Leg. They decide what requires a license and fees.

#1022117 - 02/12/20 01:39 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Good catch Cohoangler. Smelt are ESA listed. There is no Resource Management Plan, no application, no NMFS review, no NMFS approval. By any measure this is an illegal fishery that NMFS is allowing to fly under the radar. But no way in hell can they allow the fly fishing season on the Stilly for steelhead and cutthroat that might, just might, harm an ESA listed Stilly Chinook.

#1022125 - 02/12/20 02:09 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
No Tribes to piss off on the Cowlitz, perhaps?

#1022127 - 02/12/20 02:18 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: Carcassman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
No Tribes to piss off on the Cowlitz, perhaps?

The petition to list the smelt under the ESA was filed by the Cowlitz Indian Tribe, but they are non-treaty and don't have treaty fishing rights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |