havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
what is the members use//opiun of thr rio series of spay lines? what

#102206 - 11/06/02 11:36 AM Re: rio lines
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I have the Rio Versitip and have only used the floating tip so far. from just that stand point I like it . I haven't tried the sink tips as of yet because I seem to have trouble getting any sink tips off the water. I went out and bought one of those sinking leaders and I have trouble getting it off the water. So I am at a loss as how to get a 15 sink tip out of the water. If it don't get any better I'm might just sell the whole outfit and forget about it.

#102207 - 11/06/02 03:13 PM Re: rio lines
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I am using the Versi tips also,I really like the line.
Prefer this line right now because I dont need to carry extra spools.
I can change to either of the sink tip or the intermediate , floating line.
I thin kthis line is slick as any other and I like the taper. Perfect for the Nwest.

#102208 - 11/06/02 04:50 PM Re: rio lines
FlyH20 Offline
Smolt

Bigone,
I think the rio spey lines are one of the best on the markets today. The Key to these lines is being able to properly match them to the rod you have. The windcutter w/ tips is by far the easiest to learn with because of it's shorter head and ability to load a rod. I prefer a line with a longer head so my fav is the mid spey which is easier to mend than the windcutter. Every rod is different even if they have the same line rating some rods need to be under lined and some need to be slightly over lined. What rod are planning on using? I hope this helps.
JoJo

#102209 - 11/07/02 01:34 AM Re: rio lines
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I myself, agree with Jojo on most of his opinions.

Rio's Speylines are some of the finest made with the best tapers to be found plus the Slickshooter Process produces a super slick line that shoots like a rocket when needed.

I would shy away from the Windcutter unless you are fishing a super short rod, especially if you are a novice. It may be easy to learn how to cast on the Windcutter but learning on the Windcutter will allow you to devolp bad habits that will be magnified when you try to toss a longer belly Spey line.

Learn on the Midspey and jump down to the Windcutter if you decide you prefer a shorter head.

I have listed a link to Simon Gawesworth's line reccomendations for all the popular Spey rods out there...

Rio Line Reccomendations

#102210 - 11/07/02 01:42 AM Re: rio lines
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Old Man-
If you are having trouble pulling your sink-tips out of the water, let me give you a couple hints.

First of all, after the fly has swung below you, pull the tip within about 5' of the rod tip. While facing directly downstream, bring your rod up high so that your reel is about face level. Throw 1-3 roll casts which will pull the tip up to the surface...once the sinktip is up to the surface, false cast and pivot around to the angle you would like to make your cast and cast.

Make sense??? Hopefully it does!! smile

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 967 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |