THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1022128 - 02/12/20 02:29 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
That'd be correct. The Cowlitz Tribe successfully petitioned NMFS to list smelt as threatened back in 2007.

Although they don't have a treaty on which to derive treaty-reserved fishing rights, the Cowlitz Tribe has been extraordinarily helpful in many natural resource issues in the Lower Columbia, including estuary restoration and recovery of Columbia whitetailed deer. Their commitment to restoring their historic homelands in SW Washington is impressive, even on a shoe-string budget.

They can't be happy about this either.

#1022129 - 02/12/20 02:52 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
But since they don't have fishing rights, WDFW does not have to ask permission. What is their Political Donations budget?

#1022272 - 02/13/20 08:35 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Well, I know it added to State revenue.......saw a guy walking out of Bass Pro today with a new smelt net. One day and done.....

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1022314 - 02/14/20 12:43 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The folks talking about the politics of the season have some valid points, but from a pure fishing perspective, that was fun. I don't know what is normal for that run but there was a constant stream of fish going by just before 8:00. After the first scoop they dove, but were still there. Half a dozen of us got limits in 10-15 minutes. Lots of Fish and Game officers around--folks seemed pretty well behaved. Have never netted small fish like that and was pleased for the opportunity and thankful that WDFW opened it for a day. Mostly just posted because I miss back in the day when this was more of a fishing board, and thought some people might be interested in whether the fishing was good. Not trying to upset anyone.

#1022319 - 02/14/20 12:55 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: Salmo g.]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Good catch Cohoangler. Smelt are ESA listed. There is no Resource Management Plan, no application, no NMFS review, no NMFS approval. By any measure this is an illegal fishery that NMFS is allowing to fly under the radar. But no way in hell can they allow the fly fishing season on the Stilly for steelhead and cutthroat that might, just might, harm an ESA listed Stilly Chinook.

Lol... Right?
We must be missing something...not
It's pretty clear to me..

#1022321 - 02/14/20 01:59 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: Take-Down]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Take-Down
The folks talking about the politics of the season have some valid points, but from a pure fishing perspective, that was fun. I don't know what is normal for that run but there was a constant stream of fish going by just before 8:00. After the first scoop they dove, but were still there. Half a dozen of us got limits in 10-15 minutes. Lots of Fish and Game officers around--folks seemed pretty well behaved. Have never netted small fish like that and was pleased for the opportunity and thankful that WDFW opened it for a day. Mostly just posted because I miss back in the day when this was more of a fishing board, and thought some people might be interested in whether the fishing was good. Not trying to upset anyone.

Certainly no problems with the people taking advantage of the opportunity (and not overharvesting). Good on you for making the most of it!

#1022328 - 02/14/20 03:10 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: Take-Down]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Take-Down

You have to take every opportunity you get, seeing as they are becoming more rare these days.
Good to hear you had good success. You going to fry or smoke your smelt?
SF

#1022364 - 02/15/20 10:35 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

We fried some and sauteed some. Hadn't thought about smoking them. I think I like catching them more than eating them.

#1022365 - 02/15/20 11:26 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: Take-Down]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Smoke em up. You won't be disappointed.

#1022367 - 02/15/20 01:01 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
We tried, in the distant past, smoked and fried. Best way turned out to be feed them to the chickens and eat the eggs. But, years later I had some sushi eulachon. That was top notch stuff. Perhaps the sake helped, but it was good.

#1022369 - 02/15/20 02:50 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

I always liked them smoked. Kind of mushy fried.

#1022371 - 02/15/20 06:54 PM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
bobrr
Unregistered

I find they are less mushy and better eating if head and stomach contents are removed before frying or smoking. Scissors make it fast work. I actually pull the backbone out like a popcicle stick before eating after frying, and pick the two sides off the backbone after smoking. It doesn't take long and you wind up with a lot of boneless smoked pieces that can just be eaten or used in delicious recipes or salads. It actually was buying smoked smelt 40 + years ago that started my smoked fish love. Started smoking smelt and chums after that to get my smoking skills down before starting on silvers and kings.

#1022571 - 02/20/20 11:26 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Looks like WDFW is contemplating another opener, maybe as soon as next week...runsize is looking better than what was first thought.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1022573 - 02/20/20 11:55 AM Re: One-day smelt opening announced for Cowlitz River [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

What????
A mid season adjustment???

Oh how state of the art!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |