Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102469 - 01/20/03 01:08 AM Tiger Muskies
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Well, since I'm stuck in Utah and don't see getting back home until mid-may I've decided to adapt and stop fretting about no steelhead/springer fishing in the coming months. However, I'm looking forward to "ice-off" on the reservoir above Ogden, where I'm living. It has among other critters, tiger muskies that range above 50'' in length. Knowing that Mayfield has these (I never thought seriously of fishing them when anadromous fish were available) I thought possibly some of you had targeted them on the bug rod. Besides my 9-10 wt and steel leaders, is there any suggestions on patterns and/or techniques you've used for these toothy buggers before? I'm assuming a good old articulated bunny about 7-10 inches might be a good bet...

#102470 - 01/21/03 12:34 PM Re: Tiger Muskies
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
Hmmm... can't say I've ever fished for tiger muskies before, but I've been around enough pike to make a few suggestions. First-- the fish are pretty aggressive. Second, their teeth are unbelievably sharp. Third, they're brutes in sizes over six pounds or so.

Pike seem to prefer yellow and red color combos or chartreuse and red or white and red. I don't think you have to go too fancy in pattern.

I would avoid articulated bunny flies because the rabbit strip will last about one fish. The dacron or mono link between the shank in the front and the hook in the back won't last that long. Larry Dahlberg had some patterns that were grown-up versions of his Dahlberg Diver that he liked for pike as well as some other variations using the long version of FishHair.

As far as leaders go, there are several brands of stranded wire that you can use to tie shock leaders. Tyger is one that comes to mind. Some folks just tie the fly on a heavy mono shock tippet and trust that they'll hook the fish on the outside of the mouth. That might be OK with a tarpon-style tie on a long shank hook.

That will work-- I once caught an 18-pound pike on 6-lb. test line and a 1/8-ounce crappie jig.

Now you've got me thinking Mayfield...

Good luck--

Keith

#102471 - 01/21/03 03:54 PM Re: Tiger Muskies
Steelieblue Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Hey-

This topic came up on another board I use. I spent many hours fishing muskie in the midwest I would second a lot of what kjackson had to say. I disagree on one tiny point. Since these fish are extremely hard to raise and hook I would not worry about my flies only lasting one fish. I would gladly let them rip it up if I think it is going to work well. Other than that see below for my post on the other board I use. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"Finally a topic I know something about! I used to fish extensively for muskie while I grew up in Wisconsin and Minnesota and have caught about 100 of them. I have used both conventional gear and a fly rod. While I cannot say I have landed one on a fly rod I have had several hard takes and I can tell you it feels like a hand grenade going off on the end of your line when it happens. Quite exhilirating to say the least. In the midwest muskie like the gawdiest things. Chartreuse green, red, red and yellow, red and brown all catch fish. Crippled looking fish are really an obvious choice. Retrieve accordingly (ie. eratic and jerky). Also, I have been able to see almost every bite I have had from muskie so don't worry about getting too deep, they like noise and flash and will come up a ways to hit it. They like to lay in weeds and ambush from there. I don't know if air craft cable is necessary for tippet. Notice I haven't landed one but I can all but gurantee lighter will mean more hookups and they are extremely resilient fish, if they end up with your fly in their mouth they will shake it or live through it. If you are fortunate enough to hook one in the corner of the mouth you can get by with quite light line but if you get in to their teeth they will be waving good bye in a hurry. I don't know how active they will be in the winter, check your water temps and then check them against the more productive months in WI and MN lakes. Good luck. Email me if you want to know anything. I may or may not be able to help."

Later

Josh

#102472 - 01/24/03 03:22 PM Re: Tiger Muskies
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
CnD-
When they planted Green Lake with tigers this past spring, I know some guys did well with Double Bunnys and Wolly Buggers...the key to catching the fish at Green Lake, was that the guys were finding where the planted trout were hanging out...and that is where the tigers were.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |