Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1027743 - 04/06/20 11:07 PM Re: First Steelhead Stories [Re: snit]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
My neighbor who was a distant relative dammed up this little creek and he had a couple of dozen steelhead in his pond. Used to watch them but never fished as they were his pets.

I used to fish Dogfish bay and creek for sea run cutts when I was 12. I went over to a friends to fish the creek at this nice hole up past Valley nursery where the creek forks off Bond Road. It was early March 1974. I had seen steelhead in the river before. I caught a 14 in cutt on a bobber and worm using my Wright & McGill fiberglass spinner rod and Daiwa reel. Then I had a strike and set the hook. After a good fight he broke off. Then I see my line in the water and pull the fish up. Measured up to 18 1/2 inches so technically a jack. I have a digital copy of the picture. My dad took me over to Quilcene and the Dosewallips to fish as I was hooked. I used to fish Grover's creek on our property for trout and once we saw a pair of spawning steelhead behind the chicken coop.

Didn't fish again until I was in my late 20s. My father in law used to give us steelhead and soon I was fishing with him in Oregon on the Siletz usually the day after a holiday. I took some time off work in the summer during the week back around 94. We fished this hole called the lower point and he caught the first one. He told me where to cast and let drift through two boulders and bam fish on. We did the yellow jacket hole which is deep but had some riffles further up. We each got one and limited out. Had to use barbless hooks that season. Yellow Jacket had this boulder and driftwood so you could get to the riffle. Flood of 1998 changed the Yellow Jacket.

#1027757 - 04/07/20 01:13 PM Re: First Steelhead Stories [Re: cobble cruiser]
Bent Rod Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish
Summer of 78,cable hole on the Sky,Reiter side. Had been fishing steelhead for a year after seeing a good friend hook and lose a mid teener in the Sammamish slough.Couldn't believe there were fish that big in there since I had only fished for trout before that. Anyhow, had not gotten a bite the first summer and winter I fished but was determined to get one.Fishing with a good friend and his wife I finally hooked one on a sammy special,had it played out and was looking for a spot to land it as that side is mostly big rocks when my buddy trying to help grabs my line and starts to pull it up the rocks,fish flops and snaps my line. Damn, wasn't to happy about that but kept fishing only now I knew what a bite felt like and hooked up again 15 minutes later.Played it out and walked it up to a flatter spot, buddy asked if I wanted his help and I told him to keep his hands off my line and just flip it up the bank which worked out fine. Been hooked ever since. To bad the Sky is hardly worth fishing anymore,it still has it's times though.

#1027835 - 04/10/20 01:12 AM Re: First Steelhead Stories [Re: cobble cruiser]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
Fishing for me was a move to save myself from self destruction and a bad addiction. I found myself at Chubby and Tubby on Rainier ave. years ago staring at a Browning All in One pre packaged fly fishing kit for a 5 wt. I bought it, drove to the Tolt River and found a rock, read the directions, made a cast, and proceeded to SLAY smolts left and right, I’m sure I hooked a 100 before I left that day....I saved myself! Not along afterwards I heard about steelhead and tried to catch them from then on, not wanting to waste any more gas on trout...they had to be 10# or nothing! Soooo after a few years, a winter hen at IRS on my hand tied fly, that was my first steelhead landed! ...after too many hooked and lost after I went full on BASSMASTERS and proceeded to loose fish after fish not knowing how to just let the fish take it! My first summer kicked my first winters ass! That was caught at the Dorman Rd run below Big Eddy, that fish almost spooled me and I caught it all on video smile I watch it from time to time if open the lap top ...that reel is scream in’ ! Since then I’ve really enjoyed just being “a part of it”and not the lucky guy who always lands fish, I actually really enjoy the photography aspect and getting a nice shot, I unfortunately don’t have the most talented friend around when I do catch one smile lol. Cheers Playa’s

Edited by bhudda (04/10/20 01:14 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1075 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |