LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102820 - 10/04/03 09:35 PM Got my Stuff!
Yindyen Offline
Alevin

Loc: Shoreline
I went out today and got my fly fishing stuff for my birthday ended up getting a Sage DS2 896 (9'6) a Tenton Tioga 10 reel, and for my first line i got some Rio VersiTip Interchangeable tips.

Went out to the river and my first attempt at a cast hit me square dead in the head and i looked egyption with blood in the center of my forehead. After about 40 mins i started getting better at casting and having a blast learning.

Thanks all for suggestions smile

#102821 - 10/05/03 01:35 AM Re: Got my Stuff!
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: wa
Most excellent!

Where did you buy your gear, you should pump them for some parking lot lessons in casting. Most decent shops will take the time....

Rob

#102822 - 10/06/03 10:52 PM Re: Got my Stuff!
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Good job! I wish I could get my dad to get me a better rod. For my B-Day last year I got an 8wt. outfit from Cabela's. It has a nice Pfluger reel but a Cabela's "Three Forks Rod." Not that I'm complaining because it catches fish. Eventually I'll upgrade to a Sage or a G.Loomis.

#102823 - 10/07/03 07:56 PM Re: Got my Stuff!
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Never diss your rod. That's the first rule of fly fishing.

Can you cast a good line with it? That's all that matters. Maybe you would like a stiffer rod, or a softer rod, and that's OK. The only difference between a discount rod that you can cast, and an expensive rod that you can cast, is the money.

I have a WW Grigg 7 wt that I bought 4 years ago for about $40. I have rewrapped the guides, and it is a little soft for long casts with a shooting head, but it is a fine rod all in all. Heck, its even got a solid aluminium reel seat, a good sign of a quality saltwater rod.

I will probably build up a new 7 wt this winter, a Rainshadow XCEL, they are nice stiff rods that can take heavy shooting heads, and keep up a long line, but they are tough to fish all day, as they are so stiff and rigid.

Don't diss your rod.

#102824 - 10/07/03 08:48 PM Re: Got my Stuff!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Yindyen,

Whoa! Be careful there! Sign up for some casting lessons. Many shops and fly clubs offer them. You'll be rewarded many times over. When I got a few lessons and learned how easy fly casting is, it literally changed my life.

Junky,

Heed WW's advice. I have way too many flyrods, ranging from rediculously expensive to ultra-cheap. I caught hundreds of steelhead on an 8 1/2' fiberglass rod I built from parts for about $16. The fish didn't know, and didn't care how much the rod cost. I doubt I'll ever buy a Loomis or another Sage. I got a sweet 8 1/2' blank for $15 at the sport show in Puyallup last winter.

The way to spend your way to fishing Nivana is by buying lessons and guide service, not expensive tackle.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#102825 - 10/08/03 12:16 AM Re: Got my Stuff!
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I'd have to agree with everyone else. Expensive rods are overrated.... that said, I have 13, 7 of them are sages. I build my own, a fairly easy task which I highly recommend! Cuts you rod costs nearly in half, and you can build them way better than factory! On the other hand, building them is addictive. Thats how you end up with 13 of them.... always trying to build one better. My next will be a rainshadow. They make a nice blank! Also, it sounds like you have a great line. Remember, lines catch the fish, not so much the fly you choose. Use a standard proven pattern, and get it fished at the right level and you'll have success.

#102826 - 10/08/03 02:59 AM Re: Got my Stuff!
Drew Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
Wow, thats quite an impressive first setup..I think the best piece of equipment you got in the deal was the reel...those teton tiogas are pretty darned smooth if you ask me and their price isn't to hard on the wallet either..

Junky, not trying to downplay sage and loomis, but have you ever considered a St.Croix? Fine rods at a moderate price. I own two fly rods one is a cheaper model, but then my new 7 weight is their top end model and you know what? there both sweet. So I might suggest a St Croix, I'm actually getting a rod building kit for my b-day soon and will be building a St.Croix spin rod for tossing spoons..Just me rambling..
Drew what

#102827 - 10/08/03 11:43 AM Re: Got my Stuff!
papaslap Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Quote:
I wish I could get my dad to get me a better rod.
If you earn the money and pay for it yourself you will appreciate it much more

#102828 - 10/08/03 06:35 PM Re: Got my Stuff!
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Drew: I have also considerd a St. Croix.

Everybody: I'm not going to change my rod anytime soon. It prabably won't be for a few years and after I get a job. I'm not realy complaining as I love my salmon/steelhead fly rod and am lucky to have one. It also has caught quite a few fish for me this year too! laugh

#102829 - 10/14/03 11:16 AM Re: Got my Stuff!
Elkman Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Anchorage, AK U.S.A
I just got back from th OP where I tried out my new Rainshadow 9'6" 7wt . I added single foot titanium guides, and a large removeable real seat. It is sweet. I can cast a sinktip and weighted fly a long ways. Great for mending. Has a lot of backbone. This is my 2nd Rainshadow fly rod, plus I have 3 spinning rods. Love them all. Bill does a great job up there.

Elkman moose

#102830 - 10/14/03 12:18 PM Re: Got my Stuff!
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Which Rainshadow did you build up? An XCEL or another?

#102831 - 10/15/03 12:37 AM Re: Got my Stuff!
Elkman Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Anchorage, AK U.S.A
I think it was the XCL, that's the 51 million mod one? I'll check with my uncle who order the blank.

Elkman moose

#102832 - 10/15/03 04:40 PM Re: Got my Stuff!
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

I checked at www.gregscustomrods.com and I see the XCEL is only made in a 9 or 10 foot model, and the RX7 is made in 9, 9.5, and 10.

Now the XCEL is fast action and the RX7 is a more moderate action.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |