Loc: Snohomish, WA
Some "local" Turkey woods...

An old Winny Model 12...

Some camo'ed up Sasquatches...

A willing player...

A heavy walkout...

Another willing player...

Another heavy walkout...

Winny 12 Hero Shot. Grandpa's Gun does it again. 3 sunny days and 3 beautiful birds.

Edited by NickD90 (05/14/20 09:55 PM)

#1030240 - 05/15/20 06:11 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Good job Nap. What did you use to lure them in(slate, box, mouth)? Any decoys? Turkey hunting is so much fun. I got my tag but only have a few hours logged on, and it was a torrential downpour. People talk about wild turkey being nasty, I though they were pretty tasty.

......what's under the tree in the 1st pic?

#1030241 - 05/15/20 06:53 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Todd's the turkey guy and that was my first time hunting em'. I've hunted most other critters at one point or another, so this was a first for me (but definitely won't be the last).

Todd used a box call and a couple of decoys. We had birds all around us pretty much all the time more or less. Todd's dad is sitting along that fallen log in the first pic if you can find him. Shortly after that pic was taken, 4 mature Tom's came running out directly behind Todd at 3 paces. I could have shot one, but I'd have also bagged a Todd and not just a Tom. While technically both are Turkeys, I only had a tag for the feathered one and not the jive one.

Yeah - Turkey huntin' is a lot of fun. I'm 100% addicted!!! Thanks TOOD!!!

#1030243 - 05/15/20 08:00 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Buddy posted some pictures of their turkey hunt. At the place they hunt, they stay in a barn. At dawn of the last day, a turkey started gobbling out front. Dave went out, in his red jammies, and popped the bird. You obviously don't always need that camo stuff.

#1030244 - 05/15/20 08:08 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Beautiful birds and shotgun.
Well done fellas.

How do you call those jive turkeys in?

I heard clanking some pbr cans together works good.

#1030245 - 05/15/20 08:21 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Full Rainer cans work best, but really, any cheap or free beer will do. It brings the Tood Turkey a runnin' and struttin' his hot Jive stuff.

And Carcassman, I can assure you that red pajamas in the Turkey woods is an extremely bad, bad idea. Like, the worst possible idea that's possible and an idea. Country club barn huntin' sure. Woods huntin' = not a chance in bloody hell.

#1030246 - 05/15/20 08:39 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

rofl

#1030248 - 05/15/20 10:00 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Nice work Nick.

Turkey hunting is like hunting elk in the rut.
Fun stuff.

Interesting that corn fell out of that tree in the first picture.
Bet they like it there.

Ever mount a Jake decoy on the back of a hen decoy??
Mature Toms don't like that chit.

#1030249 - 05/15/20 10:02 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: Carcassman]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
At dawn of the last day, a turkey started gobbling out front. Dave went out, in his red jammies, and popped the bird. You obviously don't always need that camo stuff.

This.

While it's fun to buy and wear cammo, you don't need to be all Mall Ninja Rambo Evo to shoot a big old Tom.

Even the "smart" Tom's become really stupid when they are in the mood. As long as you are frozen and don't move, you'll be fine. Tom's don't care how you are dressed. smile

OTOH, when they are not in the mood, they are a PITA to hunt.

I love calling in Tom's. Fun stuff.

Is there more than on Mod 12 in that set of photos, or is that the same gun? Not one you see much of in the field these days. Pretty cool.

Solid work, gentlemen!

Unfortunately, a brine soak and a smoker doesn't help a wild turkey much as table fare, IMO. Fun to shoot. Not so much to eat.

#1030250 - 05/15/20 10:02 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
That was a pretty good few days of hunting.

The birds definitely were not coming in hot...had no problem getting all kinds of responses, from hens and toms both, at a distance...but once they got close they clammed up and came in quietly.

The first afternoon I set up with my two shooters in front of me with the likeliest 300 degrees of egress covered by the two of them...started calling and we spotted a hen 300 yards away on the hustle, she came right into our set, and for a while was literally six feet from the tip of Nick's gun barrel.

Eventually she froze, looking past me...and I knew we were fukkered. Nick and my old man were looking at me, looking behind me, and there was nothing I could do. Eventually I turned around and realized why they couldn't shoot; there were four mature toms that all came in together, they were packed in a tight group, and were no more than 10 or 12 feet directly behind me, and I was directly between them and my shooters.

Oh, well...it was still pretty cool for our first hour out there.

Since it was an area I had never hunted before we spent three days trying to figure out roosting areas, routes to water, and what they were eating...and it turned out to be the best kind of scouting weekend, the kind where I shot a couple, and Nick got his first one ever.

We will be far better prepared next time...though next time will be when the fall season starts, and I have never hunted turkeys in the fall before, so it will probably be a bit of a learning curve again for that.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1030252 - 05/15/20 10:14 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Show us the results of your taxidermy skillz when you make the tail feather fan.

Bonus points if you go make a turkey foot back scratcher! If the spur is long enough, you can use that has a hook to hang it in the closet. rofl

Or, I guess Todd can use the beard to weave in to his soul patch.

#1030253 - 05/15/20 10:35 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

No permanent mod on the Winny - all the same gun. The front sight is a cheap plastic fiber optic that just pops on and off the barrel as needed (no tools). No way I'm touching any part of the original gun....ever. The fiber helps for low light obviously and works wonders deer hunting during dark, rainy fall days.

My bird should make for a nice fan mount. Tood had a bit of an on-the-ground mating struggle with his bird, so it's fan took a beating in the heat of the moment.
The look on that Tom's face when Todd reversed the roles must have been priceless. It's not his fault that Rainers and gobbling Tom's get him all horned up. I just try to stay out of the way mostly and let nature take its course.

#1030254 - 05/15/20 10:37 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Nice work Nick.

Turkey hunting is like hunting elk in the rut.
Fun stuff.

Interesting that corn fell out of that tree in the first picture.
Bet they like it there.

Ever mount a Jake decoy on the back of a hen decoy??
Mature Toms don't like that chit.

What? You've never seen a "corn tree" in all of your explorations? We seem to find them everywhere where we hunt. whistle

They're great and a gift from Ma Nature for us "hunters". grin

#1030255 - 05/15/20 10:43 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

The local landowner there likes having turkey and deer on his property, so he Johnny Appleseeds corn around some.

I always set up my decoys with a hen in front and a jake about to climb up on her.

Fish on...

Todd

#1030256 - 05/15/20 12:32 PM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Nice work guys.

#1030258 - 05/15/20 03:52 PM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Nick, i only know what the picture showed. But, that turkey was probably dumb enough even for me to kill. I have never, yet, hunted turkeys. But, if my experience doing bow season is any indication, they aren't a whole lot tougher than deer, and more of them walk by closer than deer do. Of course, I am holding a bow, not a gun, and they may realize that being infant of me, holding a bow, is a rather safe place to be.

#1030259 - 05/15/20 04:29 PM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

My experience overall is that the toms are far more wily than are the hens, and are always looking for any excuse at all to hang up...and man, the slightest misstep on a call, or a movement at the wrong time, even a tiny one...and they disappear as fast a blacktail buck.

That being said...I have also shot them in self-defense when they appeared to be charging me after running in at a call I had made. When they see red...they see red.

Fish on...

Todd

#1030271 - 05/16/20 11:39 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

My old man got his first shot ever at a turkey this morning, and missed. I am not sure how that is explained other than massive buck fever and shooting high without actually aiming.

Fish on...

Todd

#1030279 - 05/16/20 09:29 PM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: Todd]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Todd
My old man got his first shot ever at a turkey this morning, and missed. I am not sure how that is explained other than massive buck fever and shooting high without actually aiming.

Fish on...

Todd

frown

#1047116 - 02/08/21 09:15 AM Re: Jive Turkeys [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Since it was a few months ago, and spring turkey hunting is right around the corner, I guess I should update this post with my first fall turkey adventure.

"Fall" of course, is a relative term...the first week of September in Stevens County is summer, it was hot, hot, hot out! Day time temps were over 100, and that's a lot when you are fully decked in camo! Thankfully most the hunting was early morning and late afternoon, but it's still hot as hell at 4pm!

Nick couldn't break away for a few days, so it was me, my old man, and my old college buddy, Eric, who had never been turkey hunting before.

Note: turkeys have been so successful in that part of the state that the seasons and bag limits are quite liberal. Two birds, both must be toms, in the spring, and four additional birds in the fall, two can be either sex and two must be hens. If you recall from above, I shot my two toms in May...not that it would have mattered, the Sept-Dec fall season is a separate 4 bird bag, you can use unfilled tags from the spring, but you can still only shoot four in the late season, no matter how many you shot in the spring.

Unlike springtime when the turkey are running around stupidly gobbling all morning, it's pretty quiet in the fall...there were a few fly down gobbles at daybreak, but very few, and nothing during the day. Pretending to be a randy hen and getting a tom to run in doesn't work in the fall, so most of my calling was aimed at the hens, as they would actually call back.

That being said...the amount of calling I did over three days was less than I did in one morning of springtime hunting, it just didn't seem useful to be the only one in the woods calling and all the birds being silent.

I spent about half my time in a blind, and the other half roaming the woods and calling randomly, and my luck was exactly 50/50 on each technique.

Here's my little hovel in the woods, just getting it set up...

And my view, with shooting hole cut in the screen. You can take the screen off, of course, but I wanted as much coverage as I could get so all of my blinds have holes cut in the screens.

Called in my first flock on the afternoon I arrived...they actually did gobble back a bit, and it turned out to be six or eight toms together. They hung up pretty far away, and I reached out much farther than I usually would like to, and knocked down a nice mature tom, no problem. I was out of the blind and sitting back against a tree, so I couldn't really move around at all, or try to get any closer.

The rest of the flock ran or flew off, of course, and while sometimes you can call them back even after a shot, this was not one of those times.

It was awfully hot out, and my food/drinks were in my cooler bag in my blind, so I lugged him back to the blind and sat in there for a bit cooling off...and while I was taking a break in there, I heard a soft hen cluck out in front of me a bit to my left. I clucked back at her, and 20 seconds later she led 12 or 15 hens right to me...bang bang, and my first double on turkeys was on the ground.

Did I mention it was hot out?

Not a bad afternoon for my first day fall turkey hunting.

Somewhere during that time my old man had a couple of toms come in on his spot, and he bagged one, but since I didn't see it until the day was over there are no pics of that one.

With only one bird left in my limit and a couple of days to handle it up, the next morning I switched things up and went to a completely different area to see what the story was over there...at just a few minutes after daybreak there was a commotion about 400 yards in front of me in the woods, sounded like a chicken farm!

A few minutes after that an invasion of hens poured into the clearing I was sitting on, there were 60-80 birds, and they were making a ruckus...I made one loud POP! on my call, which indicated danger to the birds, and they all damn near froze...and on the fringes of the flock there was one lone big tom...he must have thought he hit the jackpot having all those ladies to himself, but it wasn't to be his lucky day...got his head shot for all his troubles.

By 7:30am on day 2 I was tagged out, and sitting on the back porch drinking coffee and watching the eagles chase each other around over the lake.

No luck for my partners that morning, so we switched things up and went out on the lake for the evening...caught ourselves a live well full of eater sized walleyes while sipping on cold beers on a 100 degree day on a blessedly flat calm Lake Roosevelt...about as good as it gets.

I have no idea who taught my dad how to hold a fish...you'll have to ask him what the hell he's trying to do here...

It's all good, he's 72 years old and still likes to go fishing and hunting with me, he can hold his damn fish however he wants!

Here's my buddy Eric with a couple...

And the box full of fish...

I would guess in four hours of fishing we spent two hours looking for fish, and two hours catching them. We tried jigging, but kept catching smallmouth lol...so they were all on the troll. We probably caught about 20, released all the little ones, and one that was on her way to being a big fat egg wagon this winter, and kept eight or ten eaters.

The next morning I slept in while the other two went out and gave it a shot...no luck.

Eric ended up with zero shots or birds for the weekend, my old man shot the one...I got my four, and sent Eric home with one of the birds and all of the walleye fillets.

I am REALLY excited for April 15th and the spring opener over there...this turkey hunting thing is pretty fun.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |