THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1034464 - 07/15/20 11:18 AM How long have you been at your job?
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
15 years this week.
Couldn't be happier working for the company I am with, has been really cool seeing it grow over the years and the evolution's of the industry.
Boss even left me a handle of Buffalo Trace on my desk when I came in.
So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Edited by War-Paint (07/15/20 11:18 AM)

#1034468 - 07/15/20 12:14 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I'm on year 26.

Over 30 if you include the years I was an undergrad and not a FTE.

#1034471 - 07/15/20 12:27 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
1 year & 15 days. So far so good, but it's a client consulting position that ends in December - no matter what. 18 months on and forced 6 months off. So I'm nervous because of Covid + Economy. I won't necessarily be out of a "job" per se with my consulting agency, I'd just need to go to another client during that 6 months. Covid makes everything so much harder. Please wear masks people!

It's been a tough career decade for me for many reasons - some my fault, but most decidedly not. I'm on my 7th stop since 2011. That is sooooo much pain, suffering and expense to endure - that I'm beyond sick of it. In the end, I'll never recover financially for the rest of my career, unless I get extremely lucky and land the really big gig.

But on the bright side, I'm more marketable & have more diverse + deep experience than anyone else in my field, so I have going for me, which is nice.

Great thread War-Paint. Not.

#1034472 - 07/15/20 12:29 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: NickD90]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: NickD90

But on the bright side, I'm more marketable & have more diverse + deep experience than anyone else in my field, so I have going for me, which is nice.

Right. I like it.

Hey Arvid - be sure to add that to his next Plenty of Fish profile!

We got your back, Nick!

#1034475 - 07/15/20 12:37 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
DBS Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: worshington
Current gig, 5+ years...cloud computing software company.

Before that, 8 years for a wireless telco.

Before that, 6 years at a software company.

My longest stint was 17 years at the old telco. (GTE > Verizon). Yikes.

Must be time to retire.

#1034479 - 07/15/20 01:26 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: NickD90]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
But on the DARK side, I'm more marketable & have more diverse + deep experience than anyone else in my field, so I have going for me, which is nice.

FIFY!

I am just under 2 years. Its a job. Some days suck some days fine. I dont expect to have fun and get paid.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1034481 - 07/15/20 01:35 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Jason Beezuz]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz
But on the DARK side, I'm more marketable & have more diverse + deep experience than anyone else in my field, so I have going for me, which is nice.

FIFY!

I am just under 2 years. Its a job. Some days suck some days fine. I dont expect to have fun and get paid.

More people need to have that attitude. I'm 45 and entirely sick of the younger "passion and follow my dreams" crowd. Only a very, very few people get to do what they love and make a comfortable living from it. Most of us just need to work for the money and "passion" plays no part in that. Sure, it would be wonderful to do what you love, but it's not readily realistic in today's world. More power to those that are livin' the dream. No hate....go on and get yours!

Edited by NickD90 (07/15/20 01:36 PM)

#1034482 - 07/15/20 01:41 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Current job/company, about 10 months now...current career path, a few months shy of 3 years.

I took a pay cut to take an entry level job in a new career three years ago, and managed to skip right thru all eight or ten years of the standard promotion tracks and go straight to portfolio manager in two years...that's the job I started 10 months ago when I got hired away by the person who encouraged me to take the entry level job at the first company.

Turns out to be a pretty good career move to take that entry level job three years ago, and while I knew I wouldn't take the usual eight or ten years to get to this spot, I didn't figure it would take 23 months, that's for sure.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1034486 - 07/15/20 03:18 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Six years this month - happens to be the longest stint of my career and twice the money of any other gig and growing. Lead business developer for one of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the region. When I started revenue was @ ~$4M with 18 people and now we're @ $70M with 350 people. I've had some great jobs most of which have lasted between 3 - 5 years and working with awesome clients in advertising, marketing and product development both digital and hardware. This current job - which I'll probably ride on into retirement combines all of my past experience while continuing to challenge me to grow my knowledge in consulting my clients. Very rewarding to be able to be on the leading edge of technology and bring solutions to clients that transforms their business. No project or client is the same and I get to work with everyone from back of napkin startups to Fortune 50 tier corporations.

Kudos Todd for the successful career switch - not that easy to pull off!

#1034487 - 07/15/20 03:39 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

4 years, 4 months, 2 weeks. But who's counting? I'm retired, and the "job" suits me better than I expected. I did take a significant pay cut, but it hasn't affected my standard of living since all the money I wasn't living on went to taxes or into retirement, insurance, and other stuff. I'm the antithesis of Nick's follow your dream pitch. Not that I followed any dream, but I stumbled my way into a field that I really enjoyed, enough so that it didn't usually feel like work. It wasn't far different from what I would have done (and continue to do) if I didn't have to work for a living.

#1034488 - 07/15/20 03:54 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Less than a month for me. I like it so far. Less stress and I don’t work as hard. Previously I was in my agency for 8 years and promoted up into management for the final year and a half. I likely would have stayed longer but being subjected to a pretty sloppy merge with forced new policies, protocols, and less efficiency did not sound appealing to me. I gave my two cents in what needed to happen to make the merge successful, but it largely fell on deaf ears. My new director had little idea of what it was that I actually did and had no knowledge of one contract. She didn’t know what she didn’t know sort of thing... once I put my notice in they certainly were okay with the door hitting me on the way out and didn’t ask why I was leaving and didn’t seem to care. I got the last laugh since they fumbled on that one contract and took quite a financial hit once I left.

Good thing is I was able to milk working from home for the beginning of the stay at home order before taking two months off for the remainder of the time. Kind of good timing since I got to spend a bunch of time with the little one who stayed home and couldn’t be in pre-school.

#1034490 - 07/15/20 04:54 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
33 1/2 years. Add on 1/2 year while I was working as a summer engineering student. Doing 40% telework now. Trying for my high 3 years of pay and retirement coming up soon. I've been filling in a supervisory capacity but missed out on the permanent position to a fishing buddy I've worked with on and off during that time.

#1034492 - 07/15/20 04:55 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

12 years at current job; 17 years in same IT career. I like the work most days, but I do wonder from time to time how the hell I'm going to stay engaged for another 18+ years. I will say I feel blessed to have a job that lets me work from home in the present age....

#1034495 - 07/15/20 05:17 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
So, finding the right job.

I didn't really like what I was doing, and had started before even getting out of high school, but it paid off.

The early years of composites wasn't fun, but for the last 25 years I've worked from home and on my own schedule.

At times my territory has been just the northwest, and at other times its been global.

I can pretty much travel anywhere in my territory at any time I want without needing an approval.

Everything is paid for and I have a company car.

And for the most part, I really enjoy it, and have no plans of retiring anytime soon.

The problem is there are only a dozen or so jobs just like mine globally, so if you get canned, you may not get another one.

I was able to back out of the global travel last year before the current travel restrictions. I got tired of being gone for a few weeks, then exhausted for days after returning.

I always tried to know more than anyone else, and always make your boss look good.

Plus, find the job that pays the most, with the least amount of responsibilities. Anybody can collect responsibilities in the workplace and not get paid for it.

This requires a certain amount of under performing on purpose to not be promoted to a position with more responsibilities and headaches.

#1034497 - 07/15/20 07:57 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

What job ?

- Albert Einstein.

#1034498 - 07/15/20 08:15 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
20 years this Friday, and I worked for the same company for 6 years on the first tour.

#1034499 - 07/15/20 08:23 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Going on 10yrs owning a small construction/commercial maintenance business. Just me and a couple employees. I enjoy my job and the area I live in.

Sober and out of Moms basement going on 20 years....

rofl

Edited by Bent Metal (07/15/20 08:24 PM)

#1034500 - 07/15/20 08:23 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Sol Duc]
DBS Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
What job ?

Evo? Is that you?

#1034501 - 07/15/20 08:28 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: ondarvr]
DBS Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: ondarvr

Plus, find the job that pays the most, with the least amount of responsibilities. Anybody can collect responsibilities in the workplace and not get paid for it.

This requires a certain amount of under performing on purpose to not be promoted to a position with more responsibilities and headaches.

See? That's the way you do it. Who the hell wants to be the boss when you can be a happy worker bee making almost as much?

#1034502 - 07/15/20 08:32 PM Re: How long have you been at your job? [Re: Paul Smenis]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

I’m a mapping fag so I’m very happy at where I am at. Working on two years. Made a lot more money at other jobs but I actually enjoy GIS.

Do what makes you happy because work is half of your life.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, Mr.Twister, seabeckraised), 1141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645396 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |