Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1034547 - 07/16/20 10:46 AM Westport Tuna
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Anybody been out this year for Tuna? I am going out the first week of August but was just wondering.

#1034558 - 07/16/20 11:02 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Nothing to report but I hope you put a hurtin' on 'em!

Good luck!

#1034563 - 07/16/20 11:12 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Keeping my powder dry til at least second week of August.
Sounds like a long drive SW out of WP, and inconsistent so far from what I've heard,

fb

#1034564 - 07/16/20 11:20 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10

Educate me because I've never done it.
Seems the regs allow a lot of fish per guy. How many? When you catch all those fish, do you trade then in for canned or what? Does the cannery take half in exchange for pay?

#1034566 - 07/16/20 11:25 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
A friend who runs a charter got fish on his first Tuna trip of the year last week.
SF

Edited by stonefish (07/16/20 11:26 AM)

#1034570 - 07/16/20 12:46 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: stonefish]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I am not to worried about distance as I am going out on Coleman's 42 http://www.washingtontunacharters.com/boat.html and it can move along. July can all over the board I am told that is why I am doing August 9th and again in September. Good to hear your friend found them! Most folks can their own and the boat charges so much a fish to clean. Home canned Tuna is the best! I have mostly fished Yellowfin but I thought going after Albacore would be fun and frankly about the only good fishing left around here.

Edited by Rivrguy (07/16/20 12:51 PM)

#1034573 - 07/16/20 12:52 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: ned]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: ned

Seems the regs allow a lot of fish per guy. How many? When you catch all those fish, do you trade then in for canned or what? Does the cannery take half in exchange for pay?

You eat it as fast as you can, freeze some of it (it's really oily so it doesn't freeze all that great for more than a few months), and the you can the rest yourself.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1034577 - 07/16/20 01:17 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Todd]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Todd

You eat it as fast as you can, freeze some of it (it's really oily so it doesn't freeze all that great for more than a few months), and the you can the rest yourself.

Fish on...

Todd
Haven't had a problem in 10 years of vacuum sealing tuna, freezes great for up to a year if handled properly.

#1034578 - 07/16/20 01:33 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

A year is my max on it, as well...I wrap it in butcher paper, then vacuum seal it. It does well enough, but it's never as good as fresh!

I have some of last fall's yellowfin and yellowtail in my freezer still, and while I greatly preferred the yellowtail when fresh and frozen, too, early on, it has degraded enough that I prefer the frozen yellowfin.

That's all relative, because it's all good, and and it's all better than anything you buy from a store unless it's fresh, too!

Fish on...

Todd

#1034580 - 07/16/20 02:13 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Todd]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Todd
A year is my max on it, as well...I wrap it in butcher paper, then vacuum seal it. It does well enough, but it's never as good as fresh!

I have some of last fall's yellowfin and yellowtail in my freezer still, and while I greatly preferred the yellowtail when fresh and frozen, too, early on, it has degraded enough that I prefer the frozen yellowfin.

That's all relative, because it's all good, and and it's all better than anything you buy from a store unless it's fresh, too!

Fish on...

Todd

I agree, it seems that our carefully frozen fish is better then most of the "fresh"fish we see at stores, but nothing is as good as fresh from the water.

#1034585 - 07/16/20 03:03 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While I have never fished for them up here (Baja once for Yellowtail) I have eaten them. I really don't like the fresh ones but once it is smoked it moves to the head of my line anyway.

#1034646 - 07/17/20 01:10 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Sushi style for me thank you!!

#1034773 - 07/19/20 12:01 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

A buddy got a bunch last season and I canned it for the first time. Lightly smoked it first and it is really, really good stuff.

#1035250 - 07/26/20 04:57 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...

Last I checked there is no limit on albacore. Oregon enacted a 25 fish limit some years ago which is for most recreational fishers the same as no limit given the size of boats and ability to handle the fish properly both aboard and ashore.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1036177 - 08/08/20 02:33 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Larry B]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Well this is my report on my one day tuna outing. Fishing on a Mark Coleman's 42 is better. Ran out at 21 -22 mph and it was a bit rough, back bit better and did 27 plus most of the way and fished at about 44 miles out.

Now the fish the first two stops got 5 & 6 respectively but were all around 20 lbs. Next came two nines and they all went above 12 lbs. Had a couple in between and boat got 38 fish for six fishermen.

So things I figured out. I really am 72 yrs old. Take my pain meds before going not after. Albacore fishing is a bit different and you sorta have to retrain your brain, quickly. That as a skipper Mark is no bubbling ray of sunshine but rather is an all business skipper in an all out effort to get the boat on fish for his customers. Finally Mark was kind enough to put up with my grumpy ole ass and I am already looking forward to a repeat run with in September.

Oh I really had a god day fishing, supplied some friends with tuna and canned 45 pints.

#1036247 - 08/11/20 06:13 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Rivrguy was nice enough to share 4 loins with me.......ate fresh for dinner, excellent food faire.

We canned the rest, next day. I used 1/2 pint jars, Rivrguy used pint jars. What do most of you use when canning either tuna or salmon?????

Kinda wish I would have done a "smoke" on part of it, oh well maybe next time.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1036249 - 08/11/20 08:22 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Rivrguy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Been chowing on the Bluefin I caught ten days ago...as much as I have enjoyed my stash of albacore and yellowfin, the texture and taste both on that Bluefin are top shelf in comparison.

Fish on...

Todd

#1036276 - 08/11/20 06:37 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Todd]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Quit holding out on me I want some tuna. Seriously on my bucket list. How far out of Westport? I looked into Depot Bay but charters were closed to non residents.

#1036278 - 08/11/20 07:16 PM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: Steelheadman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Ran out 44 miles. Coleman runs 29 ft Defiance boats and his custom 40. I am not sure how many others run fast boats. 29's twin 300 and 40 triple 300. All nice boats but got to admit the Shockwave seats came in handy.

#1036288 - 08/12/20 08:45 AM Re: Westport Tuna [Re: DrifterWA]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Rivrguy was nice enough to share 4 loins with me.......ate fresh for dinner, excellent food faire.

We canned the rest, next day. I used 1/2 pint jars, Rivrguy used pint jars. What do most of you use when canning either tuna or salmon?????

Kinda wish I would have done a "smoke" on part of it, oh well maybe next time.

I like the half pint straight-sided jars. Easy to load, unload and clean, and about the right size for a quick throw-down,

fb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1053 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |