Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1035451 - 07/29/20 02:02 PM Topshot Braid to mono knot
homesick in san diego Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SoCal
Been trying to rig a Topshot of 20 lb. mono to 30 lb. braid using a double uni knot. Problem is the mono part of the knot doesn't go thru rod guides smoothly -- yielding a "professional overrun" most casts.

Am planning on running a bobber and eggs setup from river bank for fall salmon.

Simplest solution would be to not use a Topshot and just run the mainline to a swivel & attach the leader to the other end of the swivel.

Would prefer to use the topshot method but need better way to to join it to the braid mainline.

Been stuck in San Diego fer 20 odd years -- finally made it home in 2018.

Did very little fishin in San Diego. Last year borrowed a beater vintage lami fiberglass w/a beater Shimano spinning reel and managed to hook 4 or 5 pinks, landing 2 ( the first one was as bigga rush as the 42 lber I landed in the Sole Duc 30 sum years ago!!). Also managed to hook a coupla Kings but practiced my patented "long distance release" on both.

Recently picked up a Shimano Clarus CSC86M2D rod and was planning on putting an old Bantam Black Manum 101 on it but even after cleaning and lube it was still unserviceable...picked up a Quantum Accurist baitcaster on OfferUp for cheap and went to the Kalama and the Nisqually a coupla times to practice casting n "knock summa da rust off.

Started out getting backlashes every 2 outta three casts but after a few hours very few if any backlashes and casting distance was good.

Tied on a float and went fishin and back to backlashing every 2 outta 3 casts. Went home and cleaned the egg juice, sand, and old grease out of it n lubed the reel, removed a wind knot, hooked line to immovable object and reeled maself in...still not getting much distance and backlashing. Only thing I kin think of is that the aforementioned knot is the cause.

Any help or advice would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Thanx fer takin the time to read and, hopefully, reply

Take care, stay safe n tight lines
Roger
P.s. While the quantum is ok I'm planning on getting sumthin a lil more suitable in a left-hander. Lookin to spend up to bout $200 max. Would appreciate any advice. I mainly fish rivers fer salmon & steelhead using jigs, bait, floats and spinners/spoons.

Edited by homesick in san diego (07/29/20 02:07 PM)
Edit Reason: Too many fat fingerings

#1035456 - 07/29/20 02:10 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Get a Daiwa Tatula SV TW for under 2 bills. Nix the top shot. Keep it simple. You will never backlash again.

#1035460 - 07/29/20 02:38 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

There is no reason to use a topshot to bobber fish eggs. Just skip it and make things simpler.

#1035475 - 07/29/20 04:08 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
I agree with the others in that you don't need a topshot when float fishing.

However, if you ever do need to go braid to mono the two go-to knots are the Albright and FG knot. Albright is simple and clean through the guides. FG is complicated but slimmest knot there is and also the strongest. Albright will suffice for any kind of salmon fishing we do around here though.

Uni to uni.... sucks!

#1035477 - 07/29/20 04:22 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: Denham]
Ward Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: Denham
FG is complicated but slimmest knot there is and also the strongest. Albright will suffice for any kind of salmon fishing we do around here though.

Uni to uni.... sucks!

I agree completely but you're understating the fun of the FG knot by just saying it is complicated. Anyone tying one for the first time really believes there are three consonants and two vowels missing in the name.

#1035490 - 07/29/20 08:00 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
I fish 30lb braid to anything between 10 - 20lb mono and have no problems with uni to uni knot. Maybe adjust your magnetic brake or give it some more thumb. The Albright is an upgrade for sure though.

For fall salmon I go straight from braid to lead weight and leader and don't seem to have problems, even in very clear low water for Kings/Coho.

#1035494 - 07/29/20 09:00 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
homesick in san diego Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SoCal
Thanx everyone fer the valuable info, truly appreciated!

Why do people use topshots? I'm guessin it's when they use lures? I wuz kinda thinking bout a hole I fished last year that had a big mess o braid in it and thought the topshot might help prevent me from addin to that kinda pollution.

Also braid seems to abrade a lil worse than mono...but then you've got an extra knot and the power pro I've been using seems pretty tough so I guess it's a six of one half doz of the other kinda thing.

The mono I wuz usin was awfully thick -- pulled off of a spool of twenty some year old stren (yeah, I know ya shouldn't use line that old but it was unopened and sitting in a storage unit), think that wuz mosta the problem. Had been using some 12 lb as a top shot and the uni knot slid thru the guides just fine.

Spent some time on my casting today and after fiddlin w/the reel's brake and friction controls I was able to eliminate the backlashes (kinda new to baitcasting, and haven't fished much the since the mid to late 90s so that's probably the primary source of ma troubles). Another reason I wuz having trouble was the light weight and the aerodynamics, i.e. would shoot off the reel just fine and then put on the brakes mid-cast.

Sure is great to get back on the rivers in our great PNW!!

Sorry, tend to ramble on.

Thanx again fer the replies

Take care,
Roger

#1035496 - 07/29/20 09:30 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: homesick in san diego

Why do people use topshots?
Other than for fishing tuna in order to get bit,beats me.

#1035588 - 07/31/20 07:47 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

I use a crazy alberto knot for braid to mono as a topshot, 40 lb. braid to 40 lb. mono, small diameter knot, passes through eyelets easily and that's with 40 lb.! Keeps the line in the clip for downrigger fishing. Nice to see that high vis mono coming in, feels better when the knot comes in. Braid is just to small for putting in a clip. That being said, for freshwater action the line is straight 15 lb. braid, keeps in the clips just fine. Smaller diameter line I just use uni to uni knot. Neither knot has ever let me down.

#1035596 - 07/31/20 10:21 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker

Other than for fishing tuna in order to get bit,beats me.

For down rigger trolling I use a mono topshot all the time as it sticks much better in the Scotty release clips than braid (especially for deep down rigger use).

#1035613 - 07/31/20 01:20 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: SeaDNA]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

We still use wire on our downriggers. Of course there are other fisheries where a mono topshot is desirable,but boober fishing for salmonids is overkill. I dunno. Do whatever.

#1035615 - 07/31/20 01:46 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

braid in clips can be a PITA, thats one reason that people will run top shots, also for the stretch, like with Kokanee fishing, braid is too stiff and the fish will rip the hooks out of their mouths sometimes.. some will then use a snubber, but i feel the dodgers lose action with snubbers...

for river fishing, i run braid on everything, just put a swivel and then a leader...

#1035645 - 07/31/20 07:45 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: 5 * General Evo]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Evo knows.

#1035648 - 07/31/20 11:54 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
40# Mono shots over 65# braid for the riggers. Send it.

#1035649 - 08/01/20 07:50 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
ericl Offline
Alevin

Best is to use hollow braid & thread the mono. I like this served connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI-wPwmgmzg

I built a clamp station from plywood, carraiage bolts with twin rubber backed washers on each bolt to clamp the line.

#1035650 - 08/01/20 08:02 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ericl]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

rofl Why not use crimps,the good ones ,and go big or go home? You could also use fly line dressing for that greased line effect on your flourocarbon leader,get that drag free drift! Better use 20 split shot in varying sizes to account for the complex currents underwater.

#1035710 - 08/03/20 06:42 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA

40lb mono holds better in my downrigger clips.

#1035715 - 08/03/20 09:42 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: Swifty27]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Swifty27

lol you guys are funny. This guy isn't asking about downrigging. He is talking about float fishing .

#1035721 - 08/03/20 11:16 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker
Originally Posted By: Swifty27

lol you guys are funny. This guy isn't asking about downrigging. He is talking about float fishing .

The orig. poster asked about the best knot to connect braid to mono. Or can't you read anything except your own crap. If the thread started going in another direction B.F.D. Go back to the dark side where no-one actually catches fish anymore ,just engages in pointless bullsh*t. What DO you contribute to this forum much less contribute in a positive way to anything? F.U. in advance of your pointless post, I'm done with this thread since you've arrived.

#1035722 - 08/03/20 02:32 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: bobrr
What DO you contribute to this forum much less contribute in a positive way to anything?

"Am planning on running a bobber and eggs setup from river bank for fall salmon. "-OP

"Get a Daiwa Tatula SV TW for under 2 bills. Nix the top shot. Keep it simple. You will never backlash again." -ME

That's what I contributed. Sounds like you got triggered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |