LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1036110 - 08/07/20 12:31 PM Float Roughing up your Braid?
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
Been getting a lot of line fray when float fishing from what I assume would be the line sliding back and forth through the float while I'm fishing. Some floats it seems to happen worse than others but currently I've just been using Aerofloats with the metal grommets on the end and I'm wondering if those are the main culprit.

I know an alternative would be to use a mono topshot or just cut off the section thats fraying but I prefer to go braid the inline sinker. I doublt I'll be able to fully eliminate this fraying process but I'd like to at least slow it down. So far the best idea I've come up with is to sand down the inside of the grommet with say 2000 grit sand paper. Other than that I should maybe just switch to an all plastic float or something.

Interested to hear if y'all experience this problem and what could be done about it.

#1036118 - 08/07/20 02:32 PM Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? [Re: Denham]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

In winter its not that bad fishing 30lb braid but in summer I'm fishing deep holes with 15lb braid since it mends better. More often than not that float is sliding 10ft up my line before it hits the stop. Thats 10 ft of frayed line that needs to be cut after every outing. If I'm cutting off line at that rate I'll have to re-spool before I even know it.

#1036123 - 08/07/20 03:39 PM Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? [Re: Denham]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
What brand of braid?
If it is P-Line, throw it in the trash and start over.

#1036159 - 08/08/20 12:32 PM Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? [Re: Paul Smenis]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: War-Paint
What brand of braid?
If it is P-Line, throw it in the trash and start over.
rofl I assume you are speaking of hydrofloat? That stuff's crap. I like the CXX though,it's strong. Fishes good. I have no experience with P line braid.

15 braid would be a bit light IMO even for summer runs. If you have trouble mending braid perhaps get a bit longer rod.

#1036189 - 08/08/20 05:18 PM Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? [Re: Denham]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I'm fishing Fireline Ultra 8. No problems mending or anything I just use thinner line because it casts lighter offerings so well. I guess its more so the diameter of 20lb PowerPro as well but the abrasion still happens no matter what size braid I'm using.

#1036190 - 08/08/20 05:28 PM Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? [Re: Denham]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

I feel like all the stiff and easy to mend stuff has a problem with abrasion, especially if it's coated. I like Power Pro SuperSlick.

#1036196 - 08/09/20 08:01 AM Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? [Re: Denham]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Denham
I'm fishing Fireline Ultra 8. No problems mending or anything I just use thinner line because it casts lighter offerings so well. I guess its more so the diameter of 20lb PowerPro as well but the abrasion still happens no matter what size braid I'm using.

You might want to check for a "cracked guide", that could be the problem.

I'm fishing 2nd year Power Pro "depth-Hunter", 40#......lots of casting, not many fish...

Edited by DrifterWA (08/09/20 08:01 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |