Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1037241 - 08/27/20 09:20 AM This looks fun
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Edited by JussieSmolt82 (08/27/20 10:08 AM)

#1037249 - 08/27/20 10:54 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
That would make for a fun little backpacking grouse gun. I have a Henry AR-7 that works well, it's just a pain to setup and take down.

#1037254 - 08/27/20 11:35 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
For a backpacking grouse gun, consider a either stock Ruger Mark IV 22/45 or adding some aftermarket love to one. The old SS Mark II target filled many horse-camp pots of arroz con pollo de trueno....

Pro Tip: Head and neck shots only boys. Have heard too many stories of watching a ruff or big blue fold after making it well out over a steep canyon before succumbing to being perforated. Don't feed the 'yotes....

#1037255 - 08/27/20 11:41 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Do you need a stamp to get one of those binary triggers? Not that you'd want one for grouse, but still cool. Surprised I'd never heard of one with all the bump stock fuss.

#1037256 - 08/27/20 11:44 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

I like that you can put a brace on the charger and break down the barrel personally over a straight up pistol.

#1037258 - 08/27/20 11:48 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

illegal to own or possess a binary trigger in WA state....

#1037275 - 08/27/20 01:00 PM Re: This looks fun [Re: Driftin']
DCC Offline
The Walnut

Originally Posted By: Driftin'
For a backpacking grouse gun, consider a either stock Ruger Mark IV 22/45 or adding some aftermarket love to one. The old SS Mark II target filled many horse-camp pots of arroz con pollo de trueno....

Pro Tip: Head and neck shots only boys. Have heard too many stories of watching a ruff or big blue fold after making it well out over a steep canyon before succumbing to being perforated. Don't feed the 'yotes....

Had one take an arrow over the hill on a broadside middle mass shot years ago....after that it was head shots only, they can flop around for a few ....but never had another one get over the hill.

#1037287 - 08/27/20 01:54 PM Re: This looks fun [Re: DCC]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: DCC
Originally Posted By: Driftin'

Had one take an arrow over the hill on a broadside middle mass shot years ago....after that it was head shots only, they can flop around for a few ....but never had another one get over the hill.

Lesson learned here as well. Zipped a fatty right square in the tits with a .17 HMR and over the hill it went. BOOO!

#1037294 - 08/27/20 03:16 PM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

I hardly see any grouse anymore when I'm out, but I'm probably in the wrong neck of the woods.

#1037340 - 08/28/20 08:19 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: JussieSmolt82
I hardly see any grouse anymore when I'm out, but I'm probably in the wrong neck of the woods.

Annual Grouse brood recruitment varies area by area - year over year. If you have a lot of song dogs, foxes and other predators, they'll hurt the population too. Predator prey cycle and all that.

To add, most Grouse hunters in WA hunt from the road. Get down into mixed habitat creek bottoms away from roads and you'll see more thunder chickens. One last tidbit...don't shoot at the first Grouse you see on a road or in an open area. They tend to send the dumb ones out first and if you can sit tight for a moment, the others will come out to play too.

Good luck,

#1037343 - 08/28/20 09:18 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

I don't think there are many predators anymore where id see them other than man. Lots of logging roads. Few cats and bears, but not many coyotes. I live in the ouskirts of Kelso. We use to see Pheasant, Elk etc in our back yard. Now rats are showing up in the garden. Maybe it's a sign, but they get trapped then shot.

#1037352 - 08/28/20 10:15 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Hunted the WA blue berry patches at around 6000' with my bird dogs and had many days of limits on blues back in the day.

It was like high country pheasant hunting.

Sorry we killed em all.
It was wrong, but in our defense they were stupid.

#1037357 - 08/28/20 10:31 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Sounds fun

#1037384 - 08/29/20 08:23 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Hunted the WA blue berry patches at around 6000' with my bird dogs and had many days of limits on blues back in the day.

It was like high country pheasant hunting.

Sorry we killed em all.
It was wrong, but in our defense they were stupid.

Did a similiar hunting style, but on the east slopes with talus/sagebrush on the edge of the huckleberry fields. Blues LOVE grasshoppers...and when it warms up during the day the grasshopppers would become active on the bald talus slope/sage faces. It was like extreme chukar hunting. Really beat up on them, and you might see a toad muley as well.

One hill had over 100 Blues (3 covey's) we jumped one year. We'd just keep working them over. It was a pretty good hike in from all the blowdown from the 88' fires, but once you got to the ridgetop, and spread out on the slope it was a kick!

#1037401 - 08/29/20 03:51 PM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Loved going up on that one Mt and picking huckleberries. I need to explore it more. Hear there's some ufos up there, lol.

#1037666 - 09/05/20 12:42 AM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
UFO's. Never seen any, but one year hunting up in the Manatash, I came across what looked eerily like a landing site. Really weird. I had found wide and deep trail that obviously had not been used for quite a while. It was the middle of the day and it headed out from a landing through the thickest and oldest growth in the area, so I decided to see where it went. After about two miles it just disappeared. It was weird, as it obviously had been well used at some point but did not appear to lead anywhere. Any ways, I headed straight ahead from where I last saw it hoping to find something. About a 10 minute walk further I came out on a round, cleared area. It looked like an old logging landing, but there were no roads coming into it. Just this this mostly cleared, level (one a slope) round meadow. What made it really weird was that there was a full skeleton of a cow elk laying in it, with no scattering of the bones. Looked like nothing had touched it. Then a short distance away was another similar clearing, with another similar skeleton. All surrounded by fairly thick woods, and from what I could tell, no roads within 2 to 3 miles in any direction. Some day I think I will try to find the site again and see what it looks like now.

#1037683 - 09/05/20 04:27 PM Re: This looks fun [Re: JussieSmolt]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Manastash...maybe you were getting close to "Mel's Hole"?

I alway's liked listening to the wing-nuts call in during late night drives when that topic came up on whatever radio station (pre-Xm/Sirius) we could conjure up in the middle of nowhere heading hunting/fishing back in the day,

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |