Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1037830 - 09/10/20 01:06 PM Queets
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

With some coho hanging around the mouth of the salmon and water levels not predicted to come up soon it needs to be said.

There is a nasty chunk of whitewater just above the Quinault boundary, river squeezes into a fast rocky chute about 25ft wide...
The entry line isn't too bad but it makes you want to float between the 2 very large rocks at the bottom of the run but BEWARE there is a sneaker rock under the surface next to the right rock....floating thru there you WILL railslide it a bit so be prepared.
With these flows the way they are it's gonna be a problem for awhile and probably gonna claim a boat or two if people don't watch out.

On the report side of things, more jacks than adults. Heard of 12 boats on that float last week....Though after floating it yesterday idk why they tried, river was dead. We caught the only adult out of 4 boats. Richie Underwood even got skunked at the mouth of the clearwater the day before when we fished the lower river...fish are juuuust starting to show, most are already lockjawed.

Hope everyone is doing some catching and keeping themselves safe/healthy!

#1037839 - 09/10/20 02:06 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
DCC Offline
The Walnut

Thank you, Sir.

#1037854 - 09/10/20 03:59 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Yea, and one that some people still don't know about, but like I said at these flows they should or else it might sneak up on them.

#1037885 - 09/10/20 10:25 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Thanks for the heads up, Nate.

#1037988 - 09/11/20 09:39 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
PlanB Offline
Egg

Has the bridge boat launch been fixed?

#1037999 - 09/12/20 10:19 AM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Always appreciate the heads up on stuff like this. Don't float much these days, but it's always good to know what's out there.

As easy as that river is in the winter, it can really sneak up on you at summer lows. Boulders all over the place (many just out of sight but not out of reach of your boat) and occasional, tight maneuvers around wood hazards... and new, different hazards each year.

A few summers ago, a friend and I were floating the campground down in pontoon boats. After the rapid below the campground, we bounced off submerged rock or three, but it was smooth going, until we were getting close to the takeout and came up on a tailout dropping into a narrow, shallow chute, with a logjam at the bottom end. Pretty standard for our rivers, but this was one where the logjam had a little something special... A big, unavoidable sweeper sticking out of the top end. I instantly got a bad feeling and got out to scout it, but my buddy committed. I knew this was going to be trouble, so I started running down the bank toward the jam, almost knowing I was going to have to make some sort of rescue. Fortunately, my friend's pontoon had a standing platform, and as soon as he figured out he wasn't getting around the sweeper, he turned into a mountain goat.

He stood up, stepped on to the sweeper just as his boat was about to hit it, and somehow made his way to a stable log in the jam where he could stand (amazing what we can do when we know it's do or die). His boat eddied out and came right back to him, but he had lost an oar. I had him throw me his rope and jump on, then pulled him around the log. Good thing we were close to the takeout, because, I had to row for both of us the rest of the way. Luckily, it went pretty smoothly.

Can't say it enough. Be careful out there... especially at low flows.

#1038000 - 09/12/20 10:27 AM Re: Queets [Re: PlanB]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: PlanB
Has the bridge boat launch been fixed?

I haven't used that launch before but stopped by Thursday to look. It looked too steep to back a trailer down, and you can't drive down to the bar because the river has eaten out the road too much for my comfort.

Could definitely yard a boat up though... I've got a cat and a beater aluminum so I'm not as worried about breaking stuff.

What do people do for turnaround usually? I got a number a while back for a guy from clearwater but lost it. I haven't asked Dean but I assume he doesn't go that far south.

Edited by thaxor (09/12/20 10:29 AM)

#1038010 - 09/12/20 05:29 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

60 or so from the shuttle services I have heard of..idk, I also run 2 cars or bring my scooter.

The "ramp" works just fine the way it is, make sure your ropes and strap is good and don't be a nancy
*don't back straight down, there is an obvious ramp sidehlling to the upstream side

Edited by On The Swing (09/12/20 05:30 PM)

#1038014 - 09/12/20 08:41 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
PlanB Offline
Egg

For years it was a pretty smooth little gravel bar, a bit steep but I could back right to the water. Couple of years ago the bar was pretty much washed out, super steep. Last time I was there I talked to the neighbor. The silt was so bad he couldn’t drive his quad down there. I grew up out there and it was one of my favorite drifts.

#1038454 - 09/22/20 08:00 AM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Was such a great river for so many years. Last year was my last float. Counted 17 drift boats and 60 bankies. I'm moving on to hike-in small trout streams where I can fish in solitude. Gawdam people wink

#1038456 - 09/22/20 08:19 AM Re: Queets [Re: Kyle_A]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: PlanB
I grew up out there and it was one of my favorite drifts.

Originally Posted By: Kyle_A
Was such a great river for so many years. Last year was my last float. Counted 17 drift boats and 60 bankies. I'm moving on to hike-in small trout streams where I can fish in solitude. Gawdam people wink

Welcome to the increasing population growth in the Pacific Northwest. More people are retiring early, un-employed, or a 100's other reasons.

What used to be, will never be again!!!!! Even trips to BC and Alaska are not a guarantee of success........and the cost can run into the $5,000 +

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1038476 - 09/22/20 01:58 PM Re: Queets [Re: On The Swing]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I think one of the biggest factors is lack or opportunity. As we speak. Sky is shut down. It was loaded with fish below the Wallace the other day. Samish closed on the 13th. Skok closed. Skagit & Cascade open but with closures for tribe to net. Add in the other rivers and people have limited places to fish.

Years ago I had friends give me [Bleeeeep!] because I went to the coastal rivers when the Sno/Sky was full of Coho. They asked why I would spend the $$. Now there is no choice.

Throw in the Steelhead closures and we're screwed. That is why I stepped up and paid the $$ to get into some of the timber lands.

#1038535 - 09/23/20 04:04 PM Re: Queets [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |