Something a little different for you guys. I have several friends that I fish with who are from Nevada. All are fly fishermen, and most of them I meet while fishing at Pyramide lake near Reno Nevada. At any rate, word on the wire is that Pyramide has been on fire since the opener oct 1st. Its been getting better since 2001, and this year its wide open. I fished it a lot in the 80's and early 90's, and have caught several Lahotan cutts over 8lbs with a best of 14 lbs.

Its un-like anyplace else I have ever fished. You use a step ladder. Wade out off the beach until you reach the drop off ( can be as much as 150 yards) Set the ladder, climb up on it and cast away. Shooting heads and full sink lines are the order of the day. Wooley buggers rigged in tandom on a 6 ft straight 10lb leader.
7-9 wt rods are favored. Long casts manditory.

Sounds sort of mindless, and it is... but on the right year its a blast. If you have ever heard about this place, or thought about fishing it... this is the year. Lots of fish in the slot limit 19-24 inches, and an astounding number of fish that are running 26-28 inches. Its something worth trying out in the winter...

Also, as everyone on earth knows... the only thing there is to do in Reno Nevada is go fishing... why if it was not for fishing, the town would not even be there....

Working on the wife now for a kitchen pass to go check it out... fun stuff... not to be missed.