Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1038774 - 09/28/20 11:59 AM Wet Windy Sekiu Rport
Crackerbox Offline
Eyed Egg

Well, it was wet and windy Sekiu trip. My friend and his son came up from Idaho for the annual silver trip. Last year was really windy for them and thought this year couldn't be any worse, but it was close. Each morning we could only troll in 1 direction, out. We would start at 500ft and troll to 700ft. Our SOG was usually 4-5mph, but our flashers had normal action. It just meant we covered a lot of water quickly.
There was a lot of action each day with big quality natives, unfortunately not too many hatchery. We were able to get a couple hatchery each day and about 20 natives. Around noon we would head in, re-group and run to my not so secret rock/ling cod spot. We would got our 30 cod the first 2 days and the last day was calm enough we could live bait up a few lings as well.
The biggest fish was on the last day, we were nearing the end of the morning before we switched to bottom fish and my friend decided to come up to 35 ft on the wire. His rod gets nailed and doubles over. I slow down, his fish comes to the surface and runs towards the bow. Because it ran towards us I see the flasher get tangled and is now plowing across the surface sideways. A gust of wind pushes us sideways and the fish, which we haven't seen cuts across the bow. I tried to turn us with the kicker but the wind was too strong, so I grabbed the rod and dunked it under water so I could contemplate my next move. I decided against my better judgement and took the rod up on the bow and go to the other side of the boat. As soon as I got up there the fish turned and went the other way, I told my friend to grab the net and as the boat turned with 1 more gust of wind it guided the fish into the net as I hung on to the skip top rail. This was the largest, fattest silver I have ever seen and was easily 20 pds.
The other exciting part of the trip was after a bumpy ride to the cod spot, I was looking at the screen for my mark and all of the sudden there was smoke everywhere. I quickly shut the engine down and ran back there, but the smoke was coming from my passenger side box seat. I realized that my fire extinguisher pin popped out and deployed underneath the seat.

Day 1

We arrived late morning, but was able to snag a hatchery. The sun never lasted very long.

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

The morning we had to leave early for the airport.
The boy was not pleased.

Joe

#1038775 - 09/28/20 12:11 PM Re: Wet Windy Sekiu Rport [Re: Crackerbox]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Nice report!

Great photos, too!

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1038776 - 09/28/20 12:33 PM Re: Wet Windy Sekiu Rport [Re: Crackerbox]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Well done. Glad to see a young fisherman gettin' in on the action! Thanks for sharing. thumbs

#1038790 - 09/28/20 02:47 PM Re: Wet Windy Sekiu Rport [Re: Crackerbox]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Young man probably wasn't happy cause he had to go home and be in school.... lol

Very nice report !!! Sun set pictures were awesome !!!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1038801 - 09/28/20 07:30 PM Re: Wet Windy Sekiu Rport [Re: Crackerbox]
87Ford Offline
Fry

Really nice pictures.. Thanks for sharing smile

#1038803 - 09/28/20 08:07 PM Re: Wet Windy Sekiu Rport [Re: Crackerbox]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Great report - Great job getting the kid "hooked" on fishing Dad!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |