LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1041528 - 11/06/20 09:42 AM Trip report from Sea of Cortez.
Crackerbox Offline
Eyed Egg

I did my annual Salt Patrol Bill Fishing Tournament this past week at Palmas De Cortez, located in Los Barriles. As always, it was a blast meeting with local fisherman and women. I encourage anyone who wants a safe adventure to look this place up. My brother in law from Oklahoma came and we were able to take 3rd place.
If you want a good idea of what to expect you can go to the Salt Patrol facebook page. I am starting to get the shore fishing dialed in and learned even more tricks for next year. I think my highlight was catching tuna with my spinning rod I took down, by twitching a hootchie out the back while locating the bigger schools. We normally do not keep bill fish unless they die during the fight. We kept one because it took the teaser in the gills and bled out.

Joe

#1041765 - 11/08/20 10:38 AM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Fished out of Rancho Leonero Resort down the road a bit and it is a great area to fish to be sure. Hard to beat East Cape and La Paz areas for a vacation!

#1041974 - 11/10/20 02:50 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

What I see here is pretty cool.

Thanks for posting the pictures and congrats on some great time away!!!

#1041982 - 11/10/20 04:36 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The ocean has some cool fishes in it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1041998 - 11/10/20 08:28 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Nice report and thanks for sharing!

I need to get back into blue water fishin', but you know....time & money.

#1042046 - 11/11/20 01:55 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I made that trip some years ago. Our group ended up with a skipper who was lazy and didn't want to go more than a few miles off shore. He didn't have fresh bait and finally on the 3rd day I spotted a Marlin on the surface and yelled at the skipper, but he refused to believe me until I kept insisting and he turned around and found the fish. He put out his stinky bait and that repelled the Marlin.

On the first day his mate didn't show up because he was too hung over so he found someone else on the beach to replace the mate. Other boats were doing great on Tuna, but we couldn't get the guy to go out there. In the end I didn't tip him. So, he showed up at my room on the last day asking for a tip and I told him to F off.

This was not a Palmas De Cortez boat. It was one of the extra boats they brought in for the tournament. It was still a great time and maybe next year I will go again.

#1042070 - 11/11/20 06:45 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Idaho Mike]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Yeah it can be a crap shoot getting decent guides in Mexico. Killer place though. I went to cabo for a week once. There were things I loved and things I didn't. Great pics!

#1042131 - 11/12/20 10:23 AM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Idaho Mike]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Idaho Mike
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I made that trip some years ago. Our group ended up with a skipper who was lazy and didn't want to go more than a few miles off shore. He didn't have fresh bait and finally on the 3rd day I spotted a Marlin on the surface and yelled at the skipper, but he refused to believe me until I kept insisting and he turned around and found the fish. He put out his stinky bait and that repelled the Marlin.

On the first day his mate didn't show up because he was too hung over so he found someone else on the beach to replace the mate. Other boats were doing great on Tuna, but we couldn't get the guy to go out there. In the end I didn't tip him. So, he showed up at my room on the last day asking for a tip and I told him to F off.

This was not a Palmas De Cortez boat. It was one of the extra boats they brought in for the tournament. It was still a great time and maybe next year I will go again.

I hope you provided immediate negative feedback to both the organizer and management. If you want to do a tuna run be sure to ask around for others who want to go and then use a resort's boat and crew. Pretty sure the pics of tuna were from fishing after the tournament was over - just an extra day of fising.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1042186 - 11/12/20 04:14 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Larry B]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Thanks for the report!

Going to PV next week and looking to fish. Still need to get recommendations and book.

Didn't fish in Cabo last year but did good in 2014. I've done Mazatlán a couple of times with mixed results.

#1042222 - 11/13/20 10:50 AM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
Crackerbox Offline
Eyed Egg

Idaho Mike,

Sorry about the crappy guide, the tournament only uses resort boats. All great guys and help each other out to find fish.

Larry B, the tuna was some pre-fishing fun and meat run. I like to go out on the boat I do the tournament with and get to know the captain and deckhand. They are not always the same crew every year.

Joe

#1042229 - 11/13/20 11:59 AM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I made the trip organizer aware of our experience. The Marlin fishing was pretty slow on this trip so boats went out targeting tuna during the tournament to get fish on board.

I had fished at Palmas De Cortez several times before this tournament and the resort, boats, and the catching was always great.

The tournament is a fun time and I would recommend it to anyone. I just had that one bad experience. I should have said something to the organizer after the first day and we probably would have been assigned a different boat. None the less the organizer took steps to make sure what happened with our group wouldn't happen again.

Crackerbox, that is good to hear. Thanks.

#1042247 - 11/13/20 03:02 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Crackerbox]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Crackerbox
Idaho Mike,

Sorry about the crappy guide, the tournament only uses resort boats. All great guys and help each other out to find fish.

Larry B, the tuna was some pre-fishing fun and meat run. I like to go out on the boat I do the tournament with and get to know the captain and deckhand. They are not always the same crew every year.

Joe

Good plan to "pre-fish." The guys I know who include a tuna run have done it after the tournament as they want to take fish home. Not sure if they can get it processed and frozen. I did that trip in 2019 and had fun with several firsts. Now for wahoo, yellowfin tuna and a bigger roosterfish.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1042256 - 11/13/20 05:48 PM Re: Trip report from Sea of Cortez. [Re: Larry B]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Now for wahoo, yellowfin tuna and a bigger roosterfish.
Roosters are big time on my bucket list.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1043 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |