Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1042905 - 12/01/20 08:51 AM QIN netting schedule, steelhead
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/01/2020

The following is the dates the QIN will be gill netting rivers in Grays Harbor County, December and 1st part of January 2021

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/net-schedules#south-coast

Quite a few days a week on the Humptulips side.

Be safe......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1042908 - 12/01/20 09:30 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

That should go a long ways toward preventing a "dangerous over-escapement."

#1042911 - 12/01/20 09:57 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I remember the days when fisheries were opened to prevent an extra 10 fish, or less, from spawning. Even one fish above the criminally low goals is a catastrophe.

#1042957 - 12/01/20 07:48 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

4 day’s netting, 3 days off. Repeat.....

#1042966 - 12/01/20 08:52 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: Blktailhunter]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
if anyone wondered where those big December coho went now you know

#1042969 - 12/01/20 09:20 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
thepull Offline
Fry

I'm sure the fish will pick those 36 hours to go up.

#1042972 - 12/01/20 09:26 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: thepull]
fish4brains Offline

Originally Posted By: thepull

It's no one's fault but your own.

#1042979 - 12/02/20 08:30 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: thepull]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/02/2020

Originally Posted By: thepull

If they get past the areas where the nets are, lower train bridge to down river, then there are all the guide boats, bank fishers, private drift boat that are "thumping on the Coho that escaped the nets".

Yea, I know that everyone releases the wild fish but how many die in the process????

I also know that 12/01/2020 is the normal start of steelhead season.....steelhead and Coho in the same areas, both wild species must be released.

IMO.....101 Bridge, should be the "cut off line"......both wild Coho and Wild Steelhead spawn in the waters above the bridge........leave the wild fish alone !!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1042981 - 12/02/20 09:16 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Bit of BS flying here. The QIN fish Dec for Steelhead because old WDG used early timed hatchery Steelhead plants to feed the Nations court mandated Steelhead harvest and the Nation not take native Steelhead. That now WDFD stopped doing those plants does not change the court agreed to seasons for the Nation. In fact a WDG bio told me flat out that the Nation impacting late Coho was Dept of Fisheries problem not WDG. True Late Coho are late Dec and Jan with the huge " hooknose " primarily Jan. Most of the late Nov and early Dec are fish returning to creeks or other streams that do not water up until it rains enough to get the ground water up and those creeks start flowing and are not true lates. For whatever the reason true Late Coho that spawn from mid Dec & Jan do not reproduce at the same rate as normal timed Coho.

One last point. While WDFW recognizes that late Coho are separate part of the run they are NOT recognized by ANYBODY as a genetically different run to be managed for, it is simply a Coho. Similar to Summer Chinook and Fall Chinook management in the Chehalis.

#1042988 - 12/02/20 10:46 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Attended an FAB once on Nisqually Chum/Steelhead issues. The WDG rep started the meeting by saying that he could only consider steelhead, salmon didn't matter.

Interesting, though, that when WDF opened commercial chum fisheries in December that WDG wanted steelhead to be considered. Apparently, they didn't work on a two-way street.

#1043002 - 12/02/20 12:17 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
C-Man, In the late 1980's WDF gave a permit to some folks to net Capitol Lake for carp in the winter! They (we) apparently hadn't considered steelhead - there was a decent run back then. I had no idea how many carp were in the lake! They must have had more than a half ton. The netters, who were Russian immigrants, complied with the permit. An old man with no fingers on one hand was very gracious and offered me one of the carp. I learned that he had lost the fingers due to frostbite during the war near Moscow. Hearty people. Just one of the many interesting situations I got to deal with. The springs on their boat trailer were completely flattened.

#1043005 - 12/02/20 12:25 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I remember that the Russians, all over the State, were very into carp. I think a few ran a commercial fishery on them in Moses Lake. Back then, there was often not a whole lot of communication going one. We (WDG) were convicting a study up near Sequim where we were planting steelhead fry on some creeks to study capacity. On the same day, and at the same access point, WDF was planting coho smolts. You'd think that somebody would have thought that coordination was a good thing.

Were the Russians seining? Makes release fairly easy, except for cold hands. But, I suspect that losing fingers to the Russian Winter would make Capitol Lake feel like bathwater.

You are right, though, about all the stuff that went on/goes on and flies beneath the radar of the news and social media.

#1043049 - 12/02/20 08:28 PM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
CM, T3 remember we are old guys now and still have brains that remember. Current WDFW staff outside of Warren, Scott and a few others have zero idea of what the two agencies used to do. In fact at most local areas your lucky to have somebody with and institutional memory over 10 years. What makes it so ugly is they really don't give a damn about past positions, policies, or guarantees to fishers just what the company direction is at the moment. That is the WDFW culture of today.

#1043082 - 12/03/20 10:52 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The tragedy of shifting baselines.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1043084 - 12/03/20 11:36 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Rivrguy-Scott was actually in management in the 80s but Ron wasn't. He never saw that stuff. But yo are right, some of us have circled the sun a lot of times.

What gets kinda scary is that some/many? of the folks there now were not even born when you, me, Tug, Scott were actually doing that stuff.

#1043187 - 12/06/20 10:11 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: Carcassman]
fish4brains Offline

keep lowering the escapement goal instead of addressing the true issues, then there's more fish to be caught.

#1043193 - 12/06/20 11:10 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Absolutely. Nobody in management pushes for more fish on the grounds. At the same time, as we continue to destroy habitat the actual goal could get smaller and be scientifically justified.

#1043224 - 12/07/20 08:26 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: DrifterWA]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
We all know that rule number one is to give the Tribes what they want because if you don’t the masses will cry racism. It’s pretty crazy how brainwashed the libtards in this state are when they can’t even hear facts and think before they give the tribes everything they want including the eradication of fish species.

I have gotten into it so many times and people always go back to, “well because of what we did they should get whatever they want...”

It’s pathetic that all environmental ethics go out they window so people can pretend to not be racist.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1043227 - 12/07/20 08:43 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: Jason Beezuz]
fish4brains Offline

um, treaty rights dictate what they get, but your argument brings up a good point. Going back to what conditions were like when the treaty was signed compared to what things are like now, you know the old "they didn't have monofilament gill nets back then" stuff is very similar to second amendment arguments and what has changed in 200 years there.

#1043229 - 12/07/20 09:23 AM Re: QIN netting schedule, steelhead [Re: fish4brains]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Worst Troll Ever
um, treaty rights dictate what they get, but your argument brings up a good point. Going back to what conditions were like when the treaty was signed compared to what things are like now, you know the old "they didn't have monofilament gill nets back then" stuff is very similar to second amendment arguments and what has changed in 200 years there.

Treaty rights dictate what the Tribes get, but that isn’t why there isn’t a soul besides fisherman that can see how messed up the situation is.

If you said, “commercial fishing is destroying salmon runs” people would listen, but if you said “tribal commercial fishing is destroying salmon runs” people wouldn’t care.

Why the fuk is that?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1049 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |