THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1044323 - 12/22/20 04:53 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: FleaFlickr02]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
I feel for Bob, too... But I understand why WDFW can't afford to make exceptions in this particular case. They simply don't have the personnel to patrol all the rivers and check boat anglers to make sure they qualify for an exception, and you can bet plenty of non-qualifying people will take advantage of that circumstance and count on the high likelihood they'll never get caught.

I disagree, in the case of a Handicapped Jet boat owner........Washington State has a HANDICAPPED STICKER, sticker has a number and jet boat has a number....simple record keeping...... Have handicapped person take boat numbers and handicapped number to a Region Office, once there numbers are entered into WDFW computer system....... in the field WDFW LE could do a computer check on BOAT number...would also show Handicapped sticker number.

This beats the xhit out of a complete closure on handicapped boat owners....

I don't have a "other type of boat"......someone else can figure out a way,

If anyone thinks this is going to be a "1 year thing".....I DON'T THINK SO. Probably at least 2 cycles or more.

The river should not be open completely.......Chehalis River open to at least Porter, Wynoochee to White Bridge, Satsop to at least West Fork, Humptulips to Reynanne(sp) area..... Most of these areas are below steelhead spawning areas.

Drift boat handicapped owners, you'll have to work it out !!!!

I'm more upset that I couldn't use my jet boat, above Monty to fish for Coho salmon, until 12/31....hatchery Coho that could be surplused when they get to the hatchery.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1044328 - 12/22/20 06:43 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: DrifterWA]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Sometimes we have to take a step back in life to have the chance to take two steps forward and I know it sucks considering some of us enjoy fishing so much but let's be honest. Fishing is nothing like what it used to be and we're hanging onto memories. These hatchery fish are inbred so much that you see high light reels when someone posts a pic of a hatchery fish over 10 pounds and you'd think someone hit the lottery if the scale tips past 15... They've all but bred them to cookie cutters..

Sure, right place and right time can produce ample opportunities but the epic days are long gone in most places out there.

If I had a choice, I'd eliminate the winter hatchery steelhead production and plants, period... That means no more brood stocking and all, just get out of the winter steelhead hatchery game.. Get them off the spawning beds and eliminate the constant straying you see with these inbred fish. They simply are the #1 demise of our native steelhead populations, that simple.

Keith

#1044329 - 12/22/20 07:06 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: stlhdr1]
riverdick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: around the next bend
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Get them off the spawning beds and eliminate the constant straying you see with these inbred fish. They simply are the #1 demise of our native steelhead populations, that simple.

Keith

Are you serious? 100% disagree...

#1demise to nates. WOW BOLD STATEMENT!

#1044331 - 12/22/20 08:01 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Te presence of the hatchery fish directly led to the demise of the wilds. The first, and probably most damaging and most difficult to repair, is the excessive harvest of wild fish when they returned with the more abundant hatchery fish.

Steelhead returned over a long period and spawned over a long period because that is what worked for the run. The long return time, extended spawning, repeat spawners were all required for long-term sustainability.

We have "saved" a fraction of what is needed; the later returning fish.

Then, especially after decades of inbreeding, that hatchery fish introduced maladapted genes so that simply spawning with a wild fish killed off its production.

I believe that we can one or the other in a watershed but not both.

#1044339 - 12/23/20 10:23 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
just wondering, but how many programs also just spawned any returning wild fish with hatchery fish in the beginning, slowly integrating them into the hatchery program.

#1044340 - 12/23/20 10:34 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Krijack]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Krijack
just wondering, but how many programs also just spawned any returning wild fish with hatchery fish in the beginning, slowly integrating them into the hatchery program.

Probably all of them, at least before they started clipping fish!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1044341 - 12/23/20 10:35 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The WDG winter steelhead for PS was developed at Chambers Creek. All the eggs were taken there and then distributed for grow-out. Local fish were not part of the program but rather a Mother Station.

#1044345 - 12/23/20 11:07 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: riverdick]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: riverdick
Get them off the spawning beds and eliminate the constant straying you see with these inbred fish. They simply are the #1 demise of our native steelhead populations, that simple.

Keith

Are you serious? 100% disagree...

#1demise to nates. WOW BOLD STATEMENT!

Prove me wrong then? Countless amounts of data if you look deep enough that supports my statement.

Take this for example. The Lewis River Native Fall Chinook. It's the only run of Fall Chinook in the Columbia river basin that hasn't had hatchery integration or supplementation since the 1970's. It's also the only run that self sustains, exceeds escapement and allows harvest year after year. To top it off the Lewis river is 21 miles from Dam to mouth where it enters the Columbia so in theory only about 14 miles of habitat. I understand a Fall Chinook is not a steelhead but a salmonid is just that, a salmonid.

The neighboring river (EFL) has turned into a gene bank and has native steelhead populations that have rebounded tremendously since the hatchery plants being taken away.

First and foremost I hate to give up what I had as a kid fishing these two rivers, I happened to grow up on the EFL and have caught well over a 1000 steelhead out of that river. The selfishness in me wishes there were still 120K hatchery summer steelhead planted there and 100-140K hatchery winter steelhead planted there but seeing there were literally very few natives in that era to what there are now with no hatchery plants simply makes sense. I have no desire to concede in these ways knowing we will likely never get these plants back but,
the real question is when is everyone going to address the elephant in the room and give up the selfishness?

Keith

#1044347 - 12/23/20 11:37 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/23/2020

On 12/19/2020, I suggested that cutting winter run steelhead plants and going to summer run steelhead plants would lessen the "fishing pressure" on Wild winter run steelhead. There were other postings suggesting also cutting winter run plants.

My comment is: If general public and retired WDFW employees can see this as a solution, what the hell is the "WDFW fish committee looking at other than "can't fish out of a boat", no bait, and single barbless hooks. Is there a long range plan in the works?????? If so, what are the things being considered?????? Open meetings should be a requirement BEFORE major changes that affect the public are "dropped on State residents like 12/14/2020.

More shades of WDFW and Tribal "closed door to the public" but out of the other side of their mouth talk about how open they are to the general public. Grrrrrrrr

Edited by DrifterWA (12/23/20 03:57 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1044349 - 12/23/20 12:32 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: stlhdr1]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Prove me wrong then? Countless amounts of data if you look deep enough that supports my statement.

Keith

Happy to chat with you about it when we are shooting.

The data and studies I'm looking at seem to squarely point the finger at upriver and estuary habitat loss as the largest threats and reasons of a declining (stable at best) wild winter steelhead populations on the EFL.

I would wager a large sum of money that if the studies were done today a new, easily identified threat would be the top culprit, or at least a high contender to the loss/destruction of habitat. The Ocean.

The Ocean and ocean conditions are currently not favorable to a steelhead and a lot of the salmonid species.

Unless I'm missing something, the current data isn't showing any type of significant rebounding effect for the EFL.

It's not crashing in the tank either....but seems to be chugging long at a neutral state with periods of high and low escapement.

Maybe these documents are Fake News.

https://www.ezview.wa.gov/Portals/_1962/...DFW_Feb2019.pdf

https://nativefishsociety.org/watersheds/east-fork-lewis

Historical escapement data says anywhere from 1,000-11,000 seems to fit "the norm".

Escapement goal is 875 wild winter runs.

Look a the escapement graphs. No where close to 11,000 fish....and seems to hang right around the 800 mark and meets escapement.

That just tells me the river isn't outright dying. Not rebounding significantly.

I'm not an advocate for hatchery steelhead, but making blanket statements about how a few hatchery strays and or some magical spawning bed competition and/or hatchery/wild co-mingling in the spawning beds is by far *not* the largest threat to an EFL wild steelhead.

Can flat out guarantee that with absolutely no hatchery turds in the EFL now and in the future, you're never going to see 11,000 returning wild winter runs to that river...... You're never going to see 5,000...or 2,500......

You may see another 1,400 and you're probably going to see sub-800 numbers are well.

#1044353 - 12/23/20 01:37 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: The Moderator]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: elparquito

Keith

The data and studies I'm looking at seem to squarely point the finger at upriver and estuary habitat loss as the largest threats and reasons of a declining (stable at best) wild winter steelhead populations on the EFL.

I would wager a large sum of money that if the studies were done today a new, easily identified threat would be the top culprit, or at least a high contender to the loss/destruction of habitat. The Ocean.

The Ocean and ocean conditions are currently not favorable to a steelhead and a lot of the salmonid species.

Unless I'm missing something, the current data isn't showing any type of significant rebounding effect for the EFL.

It's not crashing in the tank either....but seems to be chugging long at a neutral state with periods of high and low escapement.

Historical escapement data says anywhere from 1,000-11,000 seems to fit "the norm".

Look a the escapement graphs. No where close to 11,000 fish....and seems to hang right around the 800 mark and meets escapement.

That just tells me the river isn't outright dying. Not rebounding significantly.

I'm not an advocate for hatchery steelhead, but making blanket statements about how a few hatchery strays and or some magical spawning bed competition and/or hatchery/wild co-mingling in the spawning beds is by far *not* the largest threat to an EFL wild steelhead.

Can flat out guarantee that with absolutely no hatchery turds in the EFL now and in the future, you're never going to see 11,000 returning wild winter runs to that river...... You're never going to see 5,000...or 2,500......

You may see another 1,400 and you're probably going to see sub-800 numbers are well.

Good data there but it takes us further in this conversation when we discuss escapement imho.

When you consider a river's carrying capacity and the fact that most native steelhead smolt hold over up to two years before out-migration, there's minimal natural food in the systems compared to 150 years ago (probably when it could have had 11,000 returning natives), ie. the percentage of salmon returning compared to historical numbers falls right in line with the % of carrying capacity in the river basin if that makes sense. The carcasses of those huge numbers of salmon that used to return were one of major contributing factors to providing nutrients and food to the river system.

In other words, I understand escapement at one point could have been 11,000, 5000 or 2500 fish but to sustain those sort of numbers salmon populations would have to be at near historical levels as well, yet they're not. So we have this circle of life that can't happen in any sizable numbers. Then, when you add smolt to a under achieving system you take food from those that inhabit the area, the native smolts..

So, I guess we can dream of larger escapements but until the whole system is balanced it's what the carrying capacity is in the moment that dictates the future escapements, if that makes sense. Does habitat factor in, most certainly but I still think that's a cop out as well and I don't think it's the deciding factor to the numbers rebounding. Drive up the EFL and look at the habitat the river has to offer, its as good as any other basin out there especially in the mid to upper reaches of the river system.

When it comes to ocean conditions, we could go in circles in debating that as well. Yet, the native NFL Fall Chinook returns were again off the charts this year in the worst ocean conditions that have been preached about since I remember paying attention and lord have mercy on this rivers minimal habitat, just a fluke I suppose...

Sort of brings us full circle and back to what's been done so far as a state or coast wide discussion isn't working or really moving the needle except for these very few places where hatchery fish haven't existed and or have been fully removed to see evidence of or rebounds in native populations. I sort of feel like we've been kicking the can down the road for 20+ years, somethings got to change. In other words doing what we as sportsman would like to see (flood the rivers with hatchery fish) won't happen so might as well remove the number 1 factor holding these natives back from rebounding imho, the hatchery fish and that includes the hatchery salmon smolts too...

Keith

#1044354 - 12/23/20 04:23 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

One of the other things associated with salmon feeding steelhead is that as more salmon spawn and die, the steelhead smolt at younger ages. And, when the smolts are younger the carrying capacity for smolts raises. So, you put more salmon into the stream and you get more steelhead smolts out. At the same time, reducing salmon spawners increases age and reduces number of smolts.

So, steelhead carrying capacity to produce smolts varies with the amount of stream spawned and reared in and the amount of salmon that spawn. Conveniently, then, as reduce salmon escapements and/or habitat access (lose tributary spawning and such) the escapement goal declines which is just what recent analysis keeps showing.

And this is independent of what goes on in the ocean.

#1044355 - 12/23/20 04:35 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: The Moderator]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Keith

Yeah that. See, Paker does still have some biologist in his DNA!

I've written many times that hatchery steelhead don't do any favors for wild steelhead, but maligning those hatchery fish as the number one factor (i.e., proximate cause) of depressed numbers of wild steelhead does little more than deflect focus away from the factors that have significantly greater effects on returning adult steelhead populations.

Keith, since you cling to the studies showing where the presence of hatchery steelhead correlates with depressed wild runs, you could go a long way in explaining that the correlation is indeed causation. Show us why wild runs in river systems with or that have had hatchery steelhead fluctuate proportionately with wild steelhead runs in rivers that have never had any hatchery steelhead stocking at all. Ever.

There are many more steelhead streams on Vancouver Island and the BC coast that have never had a single hatchery smolt stocked than there are that have been stocked. Yet these forever unstocked rivers' populations fluctuate up and down the same as the populations in the Salish Sea and WA coast where hatchery steelhead have been stocked for a half century or more. Every biologist I've talked with about the subject believes that a factor common to both stocked and unstocked streams is the causative factor. And that factor is the fluctuating ocean survival.

#1044362 - 12/23/20 06:20 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Salmo g.]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
How is steelhead carrying capacity even defined? Is there a mathematical equation? Does it vary with the volume of water per time times the time of the run? I've seen hundreds of fish stacked like cordwood moving up river. I've also seen so many salmon in the river they look like they are gasping for oxygen.

The number of returns equals the hatchery escapement plus the number of native and hatchery mixed fish spawning in redds. There's x number of smolts leaving the hatchery plus y number of fry leaving the beds. Maybe some of each die of starvation for competition over food in the river and the salt. There's predication of both hatchery and native. Birds and other fish have to eat. The hatchery fish provide a food source that reduces the number of native fish consumed.

Then there is the mortality caused by pollution, environmental and climate factors or disease in the ocean. Then there is take. There can be obstructions like culverts and dams that prevent the fish from returning.

Then there is the genetics which could affect survivability.

Is there a bio here that has a math degree?

#1044364 - 12/23/20 06:50 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Keith

Yeah that. See, Paker does still have some biologist in his DNA!

I've written many times that hatchery steelhead don't do any favors for wild steelhead, but maligning those hatchery fish as the number one factor (i.e., proximate cause) of depressed numbers of wild steelhead does little more than deflect focus away from the factors that have significantly greater effects on returning adult steelhead populations.

Keith, since you cling to the studies showing where the presence of hatchery steelhead correlates with depressed wild runs, you could go a long way in explaining that the correlation is indeed causation. Show us why wild runs in river systems with or that have had hatchery steelhead fluctuate proportionately with wild steelhead runs in rivers that have never had any hatchery steelhead stocking at all. Ever.

There are many more steelhead streams on Vancouver Island and the BC coast that have never had a single hatchery smolt stocked than there are that have been stocked. Yet these forever unstocked rivers' populations fluctuate up and down the same as the populations in the Salish Sea and WA coast where hatchery steelhead have been stocked for a half century or more. Every biologist I've talked with about the subject believes that a factor common to both stocked and unstocked streams is the causative factor. And that factor is the fluctuating ocean survival.

Salmo,

I agree that ocean conditions are a factor to overall abundance on large or small years of returns. I didn't reference the ocean as a major factor as it's a given across the board with steelhead. I don't think it's quite the "same" as you put it though (same meaning populations fluctuating up and down along the coast line in consistency), at least not in the CR basin but maybe you have evidence to support that statement. One major factor is the massive amounts of straying that happens everywhere and it's a lot more than biologists see or believe happens. Example, I've caught hatchery summer steelhead in the grays river in September on multiple occasions, I've caught several steelhead over the years with spaghetti tags in river systems that didn't belong there, we catch snake river (upper columbia) steelhead in the lower Lewis in August consistently and in big numbers, both hatchery and wilds and the list goes on.

Salmon numbers do vary more imho though, when it comes to BC and WA/OR coastal rivers and very few rivers are absent of hatchery supplementation. I mean straying is a huge factor here as well and a solid example is the fact that the North Fork of the Lewis hasn't planted hatchery fall chinook since the 70's and it consistently gets 3-500 hatchery fall salmon back to the hatchery every year and that's over and above the hatchery harvest that happens in the river.

Without proof it leads me to believe that straying probably happens all over Vancouver Island and the BC coast line and again leads to hatchery fish on the spawning beds reducing the reproductive fitness of those natives.

Keith

#1044368 - 12/23/20 09:10 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Steelheadman]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Carrying capacity is not exactly fixed. First two years we trapped smolts on a creek we got 800 and 1200. BOTH were capacity as in the first brood year they only spawned about 2/3 of the anadromous zone.

Basically, the stream can produce as many smolts as it can overwinter. The better the habitat, the more smolts. For steelhead, the higher the productivity the younger the smolts. And younger smolts are more productive per unit area.

WDG made an estimate of steelhead capacity and WDF made a similar one for coho. Both were based on habitat. While it is easy to poke holes in what they did, the concept is sound and simply needs more data to fine-tune.

At the end of the day, there is a capacity but it changes annually depending on flows and area seeded. The idea that if we hit some magic number of spawners, or egg take, or release will give us an annually consistent fishery is simply foolish. There are too many variables beyond the freshwater that we don't know and that change almost faster than we can react.

Which is why terminal fisheries directed at maturing adults is the only way to consistently optimize escapement. Assuming you do in-season management and don't use auto-pilot.

#1044378 - 12/24/20 10:44 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Keith,

"Same" was not the best choice of words. "Similar" would be better. A "good" return to a LCR tributary like the EFL will correspond to a "good" return on the WA coast, PS, Van. Is., and lower BC coast. Correspondence dissipates by geographical region when their respective steelhead populations migrate to differing ocean foraging areas.

Straying does happen. But there are two different kinds of straying, and their difference is important. The first is the one that concerns you, where a hatchery steelhead strays into some part of the natural environment and spawns with a wild steelhead, thereby diluting the reproductive fitness and productivity of the wild fish. Chambers Ck hatchery winter steelhead do this, and the effects vary. They vary depending on whether there are any wild steelhead in the same place at the same time as the ripe hatchery fish. The presence of early timed spawning wild steelhead is usually associated with tributary streams with lower elevation headwaters. These instances are reported to occur more in LCR tributaries, Willapa tributaries, and too a lesser degree, along some WA north coast streams. The remainder of the coastal and PS watersheds headwater at higher elevations and a later spawn timing that does not coincide with Chambers spawn timing.

This is not to say that there is no genetic introgression of Chambers DNA in these populations of wild steelhead. Rather, the amount of such introgression is exceedingly small. At first by coincidence, and later by design, Chambers steelhead DNA has remained mostly absent, that is, occurring at a very small percentage, in PS wild steelhead populations, even though Chambers Creek itself is a south PS tributary stream.

One of the best examples of the inability of Chambers Ck steelhead to successfully interbreed with wild steelhead is lower Cowlitz River tributaries. the old WDG deliberately stocked literally millions of these Chambers Ck hatchery steelhead fry into 3 or 4 lower Cowlitz tributaries for several years. If ever there was an opportunity for these hatchery fish to swamp a wild population and become the dominant genetic type present in a stream, these were it. Comes now the Cowlitz steelhead genetic study, dated about 2010, and low and behold, while Chambers Ck DNA was present in wild steelhead in these tributaries, it was present at a very low level, with typical lower Columbia wild steelhead DNA being the dominant genetic presence. I think that this tells us that the selective breeding of the Chambers Ck hatchery steelhead made them very unfit to reproduce naturally in natural stream environments. And while they may have compromised the fitness of any wild steelhead that they spawned with, their long-term damage to such populations appears to have been minimal.

I mentioned there are two types of straying. The second is very common, especially with summer steelhead like you have experienced on the N Lewis. Summer steelhead dip ins happen all over the lower Columbia. The Columbia River runs warm in the summer, and the tributaries are cooler. So summer steelhead dip into various tributaries, like the N Lewis, Cowlitz, Deschutes (until recent years, when the Pelton-Round Butte tower came on line) to avail themselves of the cooler water temperatures. You should know about the Kalama Falls hatchery, where summer runs were Floy tagged and passed upstream. Then, when the fall rains came, those tagged fish that were strays backed downstream to the Columbia and proceeded upstream to the tributary streams that were their natal waters.

I think the same thing happens on the coast, where summer steelhead have sometimes shunned the Columbia, only to temporarily ascend the Hoh or Queets - that have cooler water - and stay for a while and later disappear. My hypothesis is that they eventually enter the Columbia and migrate to whatever tributary they originally came from, but I don't have the data proving it. The upshot is that while summer steelhead do stray into and spawn in non-natal waters, most of them don't.

I think your hypothetical straying by steelhead into BC tributary streams falls into this second category, where they dip in but most don't stay to spawn. To reiterate, I completely agree that hatchery steelhead don't give any favors to wild steelhead. However, suggesting that hatchery steelhead are the proximate, i.e., the number one, cause of depressed wild steelhead populations is very badly misplaced.

#1044380 - 12/24/20 12:33 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Keith,

"Same" was not the best choice of words. "Similar" would be better. A "good" return to a LCR tributary like the EFL will correspond to a "good" return on the WA coast, PS, Van. Is., and lower BC coast. Correspondence dissipates by geographical region when their respective steelhead populations migrate to differing ocean foraging areas.

Straying does happen. But there are two different kinds of straying, and their difference is important. The first is the one that concerns you, where a hatchery steelhead strays into some part of the natural environment and spawns with a wild steelhead, thereby diluting the reproductive fitness and productivity of the wild fish. Chambers Ck hatchery winter steelhead do this, and the effects vary. They vary depending on whether there are any wild steelhead in the same place at the same time as the ripe hatchery fish. The presence of early timed spawning wild steelhead is usually associated with tributary streams with lower elevation headwaters. These instances are reported to occur more in LCR tributaries, Willapa tributaries, and too a lesser degree, along some WA north coast streams. The remainder of the coastal and PS watersheds headwater at higher elevations and a later spawn timing that does not coincide with Chambers spawn timing.

This is not to say that there is no genetic introgression of Chambers DNA in these populations of wild steelhead. Rather, the amount of such introgression is exceedingly small. At first by coincidence, and later by design, Chambers steelhead DNA has remained mostly absent, that is, occurring at a very small percentage, in PS wild steelhead populations, even though Chambers Creek itself is a south PS tributary stream.

One of the best examples of the inability of Chambers Ck steelhead to successfully interbreed with wild steelhead is lower Cowlitz River tributaries. the old WDG deliberately stocked literally millions of these Chambers Ck hatchery steelhead fry into 3 or 4 lower Cowlitz tributaries for several years. If ever there was an opportunity for these hatchery fish to swamp a wild population and become the dominant genetic type present in a stream, these were it. Comes now the Cowlitz steelhead genetic study, dated about 2010, and low and behold, while Chambers Ck DNA was present in wild steelhead in these tributaries, it was present at a very low level, with typical lower Columbia wild steelhead DNA being the dominant genetic presence. I think that this tells us that the selective breeding of the Chambers Ck hatchery steelhead made them very unfit to reproduce naturally in natural stream environments. And while they may have compromised the fitness of any wild steelhead that they spawned with, their long-term damage to such populations appears to have been minimal.

I mentioned there are two types of straying. The second is very common, especially with summer steelhead like you have experienced on the N Lewis. Summer steelhead dip ins happen all over the lower Columbia. The Columbia River runs warm in the summer, and the tributaries are cooler. So summer steelhead dip into various tributaries, like the N Lewis, Cowlitz, Deschutes (until recent years, when the Pelton-Round Butte tower came on line) to avail themselves of the cooler water temperatures. You should know about the Kalama Falls hatchery, where summer runs were Floy tagged and passed upstream. Then, when the fall rains came, those tagged fish that were strays backed downstream to the Columbia and proceeded upstream to the tributary streams that were their natal waters.

I think the same thing happens on the coast, where summer steelhead have sometimes shunned the Columbia, only to temporarily ascend the Hoh or Queets - that have cooler water - and stay for a while and later disappear. My hypothesis is that they eventually enter the Columbia and migrate to whatever tributary they originally came from, but I don't have the data proving it. The upshot is that while summer steelhead do stray into and spawn in non-natal waters, most of them don't.

I think your hypothetical straying by steelhead into BC tributary streams falls into this second category, where they dip in but most don't stay to spawn. To reiterate, I completely agree that hatchery steelhead don't give any favors to wild steelhead. However, suggesting that hatchery steelhead are the proximate, i.e., the number one, cause of depressed wild steelhead populations is very badly misplaced.

Your dead on with your hypothesis in regards to the straying of the summer steelhead, cold water is everything to do with it in relation to the CR they do disappear from the Lewis roughly late September but as late as mid October pending CR water temps. There's a handful of other sleeper rivers you hadn't mentioned that are a blast to hit when the water temps in the CR are north of 70.0 degrees as they dip into those as well.

In fairness, you've backed me into a corner here with your explanation. It's spot on to what we've witnessed while angling over the years.

I've drawn many conclusions with the Lewis River native fall chinook (LRW's), I can't wrap my mind around how that river with such poor habitat has such great results with no fall chinook hatchery interactions other than the strays that we see on occassion.

I guess it takes me back full circle, evidence in what you write would suggest the hatchery steelhead aren't as much of a concern on the spawning bed. Maybe it's something else with these hatchery fish that's causing the declines but to me they go hand in hand with the demise of the native stock and I hope someday science will put their finger on it.

Again, it's not something I want to be true as I'd love to see rivers full of opportunity again.

Keith

#1044383 - 12/24/20 01:36 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
if we had wide spread timing on wild returns and are now limited to late river returns, it seems that would correspond with the early run hatchery fish effecting the wild fish, in ways other than integration. That was my question about spawning techniques. If, say at the hatcheries on the Kalama or Cowlitz mixed large numbers of wild fish with hatchery fish, never clipping any, and these fish do not successfully spawn I would think this could greatly effect a wild run without much DNA integration. Similarly, if they are competing for food, the fewer wild smolt would then face competition with the hatchery fish. Release timing, the effect fry releases vs. fingerlings, and other factors could all come into play. Then, if we have a predator base that is reliant on the hatchery smolts, it seems a complete removal could lead to the wild runs being decimated by the existing predator base. So much to consider, but it seems knee jerk conclusions by people who think one-dimensional are the norm.

#1044391 - 12/25/20 03:56 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Keith,

Fall Chinook are not a real good stand in for steelhead. Fall Chinook juveniles mostly rear in freshwater for 3 to 5, maybe 6 months before heading to the ocean compared to steelhead's 2 or 3 year juvenile freshwater residence. The N Lewis isn't great fw habitat over all, but it meets fall Chinook requirements pretty well. Consider first of all that there is no flooding of consequence to scour incubating eggs or smother them with silt. So egg to smolt survival is likely quite a bit higher than for fall Chinook in unregulated streams. Then those fall juveniles have a nice long estuary from the lower river all the way to the ocean, and it's rich with forage for juvenile fish. Predators too, however. So it's not all fun and games.

Krijack,

Wild winter runs used to be spread out in river entry timing from around Thanksgiving to the end of March or first half of April, with peak timing being March in almost every winter run river for which I've ever had information on. The main effect of hatchery winter steelhead on wild fish was the increased fishing pressure in December and January, when hatchery steelhead peaked in abundance. High harvest rates on hatchery steelhead during those months also included high harvest rates on any wild fish that were present in the same areas at the same time. The result in short order was that there were very few wild steelhead returning in December and January.

Now that wild steelhead are more protected from harvest throughout WA for a few years, quite a few on some rivers, we are seeing a few early timed wild steelhead in river systems where they had become very uncommon.

Mixing large numbers of wild steelhead in hatchery spawning never happens. I'm pretty confident in that. Wild steehead have very little incentive to enter hatchery entrances. It does happen, and when it does, it's noteworthy because it's infrequent. The main culprit when it comes to spawning is when a hatchery fish spawns with an early timed spawning wild steelhead. And that does happen; it just doesn't happen as often as some seem to believe. The reason is because of the difference in spawn timing for the overwhelming majorities of both hatchery and wild steelhead. When it does happen, the reproductive effectiveness of the wild steelhead partner is reduced, sometimes nearly to zero. This is the most logical explanation for the present day absence of Chambers CK hatchery steelhead DNA in wild steelhead in those lower Cowlitz tributaries where literally millions of hatchery juveniles were stocked years ago.

For the most part, hatchery and wild steelhead juveniles don't compete that much for food. Hatchery folks are pretty good at releasing their smolts at the time when they are ready to migrate. In the cases where they have been followed, they generally pass downstream to salt water in about a week. It's not that they don't feed in that time frame, they do, at least some. The thing to understand about salmonids is that they are extremely well adapted to periods of starvation. So even if hatchery and wild smolts are in the same place at the same time, competing for the same food supply, any shortage in food is likely to have an adverse impact on either the hatchery or the wild fish that is statistically close to zero.

Predators could have built up their numbers in response to the large numbers of hatchery smolts, but their presence in any one area is for such a short duration of time, that it doesn't seem too likely because it is not consistent with optimal foraging theory. And predator-prey relationships almost always have a perfect correlation with optimal foraging theory.

All in all, I'm back to where I began by saying that hatchery fish don't do wild fish any big favors, but trying to portray those hatchery fish as the proximate cause of depressed wild populations simply does not hold up under any close scrutiny that I have been able to apply. As always, I'm open to new and even contrary information. I subscribe to: "let us seek the truth, and go where it leads us."

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1088 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |