Three Rivers Marine

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1044543 - 12/30/20 12:27 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Tug 3]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
They take eggs through the full run early, mid, and late. They are not supposed to just mate big fish to big fish but rather take fish representative of the run. That was the protocols as of 10 years ago and I doubt they have changed much. I know of one hatchery that is not state that mates big fish a priority.

#1044546 - 12/30/20 12:37 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It probably still is. Consider that in the wild, all the fish that make it back spawn. Some more successfully than others but they all spawn and let nature take its course. That was how the runs evolved. What survived the gauntlet of predators and poor habitat is what spawned; survival of the fittest.

Hatcheries, and intensive mixed stock fisheries changed this. As you noted, fish were selected in the hatchery for artificial reasons; size, color, and maybe even passivity as a passive fish was easier to catch and spawn.

Timing of returns was constrained for convenience, the hook and line fisheries removed the most aggressive feeders, and so on.

Fish were paired for artificial reasons and not natural selection. We now know that jacks and sneaker males contribute; but not in hatcheries.

We need to admit that hatchery fish are radically different from wild. Not better, not worse, but different. We know wild fish do poorly in hatcheries and hatchery fish do poorly in the wild. Well, duh.

Triage in the form of writing off some wild production and some hatchery production is likely the only way to simultaneously retain hatchery and wild fish.

#1044555 - 12/30/20 01:30 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/30/2020

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

We now know that jacks and sneaker males contribute; but not in hatcheries.

How do we know that???? Someone would have to be watching to see this being done.

I've mentioned many times, that Oregon doesn't want jacks in the rivers at all, sportsmen don't have to punch them, limit 5 a day.

Crying shame, that WDFW allows /protects jacks to be in a spawning area.... should allow sportsmen to take double the limit or more AND not have to punch them. Jacks should go to those that would use them, rather than "surplus", I hate that word......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1044560 - 12/30/20 03:11 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
For salmon a certain % of jacks are added to the spawning. Bit more than in the stream as I have watched spawning and the jacks sneak right in while the big guys duke it out or if they are the only male. What we never understood is the hatchery % as way more jacks in hatchery adults than wild in fact you seldom see jacks get to sneak in the wild. They try like all get out but in adult fish fights size does matter!

#1044568 - 12/30/20 05:11 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
We put some jacks on eggs at the Dungeness Hatchery

#1044574 - 12/30/20 06:21 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/30/2020

I'm sure that some educated, scientific, individual wrote a paper on the benefits of using "jacks" in spawning, but "Mother Nature" did a wonderful job for 10's of thousands of years........returns of BIG salmon were plentiful until man got involved.

Jacks should be "surplused" BEFORE they get to the hatchery..... IMO, smoked jacks are a welcome eatery in my neighborhood......mmmmmmmm

Vacuum sealed jacks, they are good for making dips and just plain eating !!!!!!!!

I wonder if Alaska uses jacks in a hatchery program......I know Oregon doesn't...is there something they know ??????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1044575 - 12/30/20 06:26 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Jacks are part of the whole tapestry of the run. One thing they provide is genes from "other" broods. Take coho, which are primarily a 3 year fish. Without jacks there would be very little genetic interchange between brood years.

The way they learned about jacks and sneaker males being successful in spawning was by genetic examination of the resultant fry, fingerlings, and smolts.

We had big salmon returning to spawn when we didn't kill them as juveniles in the ocean.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |