Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1046785 - 01/30/21 06:46 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Nope. Not surprised at all. I believe they have decided just unwilling to say so.

#1046788 - 01/30/21 10:10 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: eyeFISH]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
B-E-E-P !

And another deadline goes by... anyone surprised?

To be fair Col. Bullock has until mid-night tomorrow. Sure, as if that is going to happen.

It is almost like they don't even think about this unless someone is communicating up their chain of command. As in, hello General - there is a problem in your Seattle office.

Well, Monday will be the 1st of February and absent some unanticipated miracle they will have officially missed their own target without explanation and/or establishing a new target.

Larry B.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1046801 - 01/31/21 12:19 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
....and then the communication , with attached copies, need to start up the chain and also include the Federal elected officials with a request to them for a Congressional inquiry from their office as to why it's taking so long.....

#1047629 - 02/13/21 03:06 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Been awful quiet. Anybody ask the Corpse what's happening?

#1047630 - 02/13/21 04:00 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Reportedly moving closer to a decision. All I know.

#1048286 - 03/01/21 01:57 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
March 1st.
Any word?
SF

#1048289 - 03/01/21 03:04 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

If I step out my back door I am one step closer to China. But I'm not getting there anytime soon.

#1048292 - 03/01/21 03:37 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Yeah, no need to run when they’ve been crawling since 1996 regarding that property....
SF

#1048304 - 03/01/21 09:36 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

You all do remember the movie Groundhog Day, right?

#1054768 - 07/30/21 09:07 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The ACOE has formally denied WDFW's permit application to build the ramp, citing the Suquamish Tribe's treaty fishing rights as the determining factor.

frown

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1054769 - 07/30/21 09:28 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Denied.

Even better, the last tribal objection claimed they historically fished in the EXACT FOOTPRINT where the ramp would lay, backed by signed affidavits from tribal members claiming this. The WDFW responded with photos of a dock/ramp/rail launch that was just recently removed...which had been there for decades. So how is it that they crabbed there, in ,12' of water.

The way the Corps wrote the denial means this precedent (reasoning behind denial) can apply to ANY ramp that is in a U&A. Well, every foot of salt water in the state is in a U&A, so yes, that means the ramp nearest you. ALL RAMPS, public or private, need this same permit for any repair, new build, replacement, or maintenance. When the Corps receives the permit application, they are required to notify the local tribe for approval. With any objection, that ramp is shut down. My senator and a recent discussion with the Attorney General representing this case both agree.

Further, if the PNP ramp violates Treaty rights, then don't all ramps? It seems the treaty share needs no boats on the water to be able to fish, instead of having the ability to fish "in common" on grounds with everybody else.

PNP is only the first case where Boldt closed a state park and ramp. It isn't the last. Coming soon to a boat launch near you...

#1054770 - 07/30/21 09:45 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

I guess we’ll have to settle for this at PNP.
Wouldn’t removing the drain pipe in the south side infringe on someone’s U & A fishing rights?
I guess not if there are the right partners....or maybe just different partners?
SF

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/202...BdGYhENXx1A8jpI

#1054771 - 07/30/21 09:51 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
ned Offline
Spawner

Near future scenario:
We've seen LaPush and Neah Bay close access to the non-treaty share, because they're located on reservation land. So maybe Sekiu needs a permit to repair their pilings or ramps, and it's denied based on similar obscure objection. They deteriorate or are deemed unsafe and close. Now there would be no public launch or water access from Pt Angeles to Westport. Makes for some nice, private fishing grounds.

As a US and WA State resident, I'm so fortunate to have sovereign, federally secured water I can access. Oh wait...that was yesterday.

#1054772 - 07/30/21 10:00 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
ned Offline
Spawner

"...Settle for this at Point No Point?"

You mean settle for this everywhere. This is the start of ramp permits routinely being denied, and ramps therefore closing. Why would a tribe with a ramp in it's U&A would approve a permit. What's in it for them?

The Corps has decided to relinquish its federal authority on saltwater permitting, and defer to a separate sovereign government to make the decisions on our rights to access federal surface waters.

Edited by ned (07/30/21 10:08 AM)

#1054774 - 07/30/21 10:07 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: ned
"...Settle for this at Point No Point?"

You mean settle for this everywhere. This is the start of ramp closures routinely being turned down due to denied permits. Why do you think a tribe with a ramp in it's U&A waould approve a permit. What's in it for them?

This effectively makes the Corps relinquish its federal authority on saltwater permitting, and transfers it to the Treaty share. Now a separate sovereign government will make the decisions on our rights to access federal surface waters.

Don’t take my post too seriously as I’m pissed also.
My point is there is going to need to be a lot of work done, some on the beach to accomplish that restoration project.
Wouldn’t that also possibly do harm to a U & A fishing area?
Yet not a peep on that from the group opposing the ramp.
Is that because there is another tribe supporting it?
SF

Edited by stonefish (07/30/21 10:25 AM)

#1054793 - 07/30/21 12:45 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Arguably, the only time pnp is fished is during summer Chinook openers anymore, which is two to three weeks or less a year. It's not a go-to winter blackmouth destination. So that two or three weeks a year obstructs the Suquamish so much that we can't build and use a ramp, yet there are already 200 boats out front forced to drive and waste gas from other far away locations? Or is it because sport fishermen would have better access to crabbing in that location, hence the denial?

What specific forms of obstruction are we talking about here? and when, and how? I'll have to read the decision when I have time. Im going fishing.

either way....

Nice logic Leonard. Not.

#1054815 - 07/30/21 07:20 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
More division, neato....I really wonder what it's going to be like in 100 years? My kid started golfing a couple of weeks ago with his buddies (I don't). Secretly I'm happy for him. Of course, he's still into killing critters, but when I'm dead he can sell all the guns and the boat and he'll have 150-200k to go blow on other cool hobbies where he doesn't have to "fight" with other American stakeholders to get an opportunity to utilize those resources.

#1054821 - 07/31/21 07:39 AM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Go luck with Kitsap County wanting to build a fishing pier at Norwegian point. Hopefully that project is DOA,

#1054836 - 07/31/21 03:24 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: ned]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Dash point pier just got shut down for structural damage. Extremely popular, especially for pinks. Several years ago I went down and watched well over 25 kings hooked on a tide. Several doubles and I believe a triple. I lost one on a poor netting job and got another about 20 minutes later. One guy was using braid and lost 4 or 5 at the dock. First time I went down in the early eighties while I wasin college. It was on the old dock and no one knew or cared to hook pinks. I stood alone and hooked 10 to 15. I had three in the bag and was going to try for a fourth when the old guys on the dock started to harass me about how only kings counted. Literally let the buzz bomb drop down on that cast and pulled in a 8-10 lb cookie cutter king. Only fish that were caught all day. I came back a day or too later and everyone on the dock had a pink buzz bomb. The guy who was teasing me the hardest said he put in about 14 hours the other day and didn't get a sniff. He had a handful of bombs and was handing them out to all the other old guys.

In any case, it will be sad to see it go away, even if it is a zoo at times. I have a feeling it will now be very hard to repair or rebuild with this latest decision. Redondo repairs are going on 2 years now. Since construction appears to be under way, I guess they might have permits on that one.

#1054841 - 07/31/21 06:15 PM Re: Point No Point. Who cares? [Re: Krijack]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Krijack
Dash point pier just got shut down for structural damage. Extremely popular, especially for pinks. Several years ago I went down and watched well over 25 kings hooked on a tide. Several doubles and I believe a triple. I lost one on a poor netting job and got another about 20 minutes later. One guy was using braid and lost 4 or 5 at the dock. First time I went down in the early eighties while I wasin college. It was on the old dock and no one knew or cared to hook pinks. I stood alone and hooked 10 to 15. I had three in the bag and was going to try for a fourth when the old guys on the dock started to harass me about how only kings counted. Literally let the buzz bomb drop down on that cast and pulled in a 8-10 lb cookie cutter king. Only fish that were caught all day. I came back a day or too later and everyone on the dock had a pink buzz bomb. The guy who was teasing me the hardest said he put in about 14 hours the other day and didn't get a sniff. He had a handful of bombs and was handing them out to all the other old guys.

In any case, it will be sad to see it go away, even if it is a zoo at times. I have a feeling it will now be very hard to repair or rebuild with this latest decision. Redondo repairs are going on 2 years now. Since construction appears to be under way, I guess they might have permits on that one.

Just one more access closed - hopefully to reopen but not in time for this fall's recreational fisheries. And if it remains closed until serious repairs consider the possibility that the requirement for a USCOE permit is now problematic.

As to Col. Bullock's (he signed it but no doubt written by the attorneys) decision no where is there a standard laid out for what constitutes de minimus let alone referring to de minimus as a standard. Yet de minimus is the language in their own policy statements.

Now is the time for WA State to take on the Corps for as Ned as mentioned it sets a standard where any proposed project can and will be objected to by one or more tribes with U&A. The question I have is whether it will get to SCOTUS before I beat it to the history books.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |