Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104541 - 08/01/05 04:25 PM first fly rod--suggestions requested
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
I just posted this to WashingtonFlyFishing.com so if you visit that site, no, you're not seeing double...

I've been learning slowly and using borrowed equipment. I would now like to get a fly rod/reel setup of my own. Any suggestions on rod length, weight, and brand are appreciated.

I'd like to start out with something for targeting trout (rainbows, cutts, SRCs). I would eventually like to target steelhead and salmon, but I'm not there yet

I'm in SW Washington, so I'll mostly be on streams in that area. I don't have a huge budget at this time, so I'd like to go with something reliable but not real expensive.

#104542 - 08/01/05 10:05 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA
Take a look at some Cortland combos. You get the rod, reel, line, backing, rod case, just about everything you need except water and fish. Plus it comes with a lifetime warrantee. I suggest a 5 weight.

#104543 - 08/01/05 10:12 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
FLGator Offline
Parr

Loc: Liberty Lake WA
TFO makes great products.

To get you started I recommend you buy something decent the first time. You'll have it forever and be able to learn proper form and basic casting and continue to grow into a rod/reel combo.

On that note, I recommend you check out the TFO TiCrX 9' 5 wt 4 pc. It is a fast action rod that will serve you well. The 9' 5wt will allow you to cover all of your trout fishing whether nymphing, throwing hoppers in the wind or BWOs to selective trout on a spring creek. Also, this rod can be lined with a floating line shooting head type system which will allow you to effectively present to steelhead. The rod is less than $230 and has a lifetime warranty.

For reels, I recommend you buy a good quality disc drag reel. Again, for the value Temple Fork Outfitters disc drag reels offer great performance.

If you choose a click pawl reel check out the Hardy's. They are classics and offer very reliable performance.

Most importantly, find a good fly shop, and take a couple of lessons. It will dramatically cut down on the learning curve and help you learn proper technique.

If you have any questions feel free to send me an e mail and I'd be glad to help any way I can.
I've made some very, very expensive mistakes along the way and try to pass on information to help get guys started right the first time.

Take care,
Chris

#104544 - 08/02/05 10:31 AM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
flyfisher9lbtrout Offline
Parr

Loc: Gig Harbor
You know if there was "That Perfect Rod/Reel" why do I have a dozen rods/reels in my garage?? Like everything else you don't know what you like until you try it for awhile. Look for good discounted/or sale stuff. Orvis www.online.com is a good place. It's the hunt for that next "Perfect rod" almost as good as fishing. There's a great fly shop in Sandy Ore. Great lessons and good deals. I driven from Tacoma to take their Steelhead fly fishing classes. Worth every penny. Also check your local fly shop every week, get to know the guys there, ask a lot of questions. Good luck.

#104545 - 08/03/05 12:54 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
zambi Offline
Parr

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisher9lbtrout:
You know if there was "That Perfect Rod/Reel" why do I have a dozen rods/reels in my garage??
Like I told my wife, "this is probably going to get expensive, but think of it this way--I could always be out drinking away that money."

smile

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. My local sporting goods store (not a dedicated fly shop) is going to have their annual Sportsmens Show this weekend. I'll be checking that out and go from there.

#104546 - 08/04/05 01:52 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
You don't need the best equipment to start out. A person learning to snow ski can't tell the difference between good skis and bad ones and it's the same with flyfishing.
After a couple of years with a low end fly rod you'll pick up a Sage and say "wow, that's incredible." But, you won't have a clue which fly rod is great until after you've been fishing a while.
I'd start cheap and build from there.
A 5 wt is a good way to start.

#104547 - 08/04/05 02:54 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I'm with winterrun. Your first rod should be a 5 wt that costs less that $150. There are lots of excellent top end rods available out there, but a beginner has no need for them. it kinda like a guy with a learner's permit buying a Ferrari. I once saw a guy who could cast 30 feet of line WITHOUT any rod.

Cabellas, Lamiglas, Cortland and I'm sure many others, offer good entry level rods for less than $150.

#104548 - 08/04/05 05:14 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Planning ahead is a good idea. If you definately plan to expand your fishing, go with the 4, 6, 8 wt approach. If you expect to battle lots of big steel, chum, and kings - the 5, 7, 9wt approach would be better.

I started out with a 4 and 8wt and i was set for years. Eventually I filled the gap with a 6wt.

In fact, the more I use the 6wt, the more I like it for all around fishing.

The 6 is perfect for SRCs, salt water fishing, bass fishing, bigger trout, summer steelhead, and smaller salmon. The only time I won't have my 6 with me know is winter fishing or specificially targeting kings. Or if i'm targeting little trout in small streams or panfish in lakes - then I go with my 4wt.

You can't go wrong with TFO. If you local shop doesn't have them, check out cabelas.com. TFO professional series is a great starter rod and chances are, you may never want to 'upgrade'. Lifetime warranty is good - you WILL break a rod at some point (probably the tip).

For the reel, I'd recommend saving your money here, and investing in a good quality LINE that is WELL MATCHED with the rod.

A pfluger medalist reel for about $30 is all you really need. The things are tanks, last forever, require minimal maintanence, and if you ever do have one fail, it only costs $30 for another. In fact, buy 2 - one with floating line and one with sinking line - instead of buying an expensive reel and expensive spools that go with it. You may want to check out multi-tip lines and not worry about the extra spools altogether... I use medalist reels (and Ross, but when money is tight, I have not problem buying medalist) and have never had one fail. This includes 20 fish days with big mean chums and fast streaking steelhead and silvers.

TFO pro + Medalist + Good Line = about $200. You won't regret it.

#104549 - 08/04/05 05:17 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Dang, sorry for all the typos eek

#104550 - 08/04/05 11:51 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
I agree with the others.....get decent quality, something you can fish with for years. TFO rods are damn bulletproof and good ones are available for very low cost. Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Fred Meyer south bend special or a Master piece of crap for $35....you'll regret it......don't buy a toy with a foam grip! those are pure garbage. A guy who works for me got one from his kid for a present and he's kinda "stuck" with it, ya know? He used one of my 4 wt rods and couldn't believe how much easier it was to cast than the Fred Meyer pool cue he was trying to use.

Medalist or Okuma Sierra reels are tanks, you won't go wrong. TFO, Lamiglas, Redington...they all make good starter kits. Go to GI Joe's or Outdoor Emporium, they will hook you up with good stuff within your budget. welcome to the addiction bud...wait until you land your first nice fish on a flyrod! Dave is modest...I've seen him bust a 17 pound chum on a fly rod and I have it on videotape................... laugh

#104551 - 08/05/05 01:08 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Chum on a 5 wt,boy is that a blast. I hooked up with one on the Skagit when I was fishing for Dollies/bull trout.

And Mingo,when are you going to show the top half of your Avatar. What's wrong,she can't be that bad. rofl

Jim

#104552 - 08/05/05 02:21 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:

And Mingo,when are you going to show the top half of your Avatar. What's wrong,she can't be that bad. rofl

Jim
Jim

She has a spinning & baitcasting reels in her hand thats why, looks like she had a bad day

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104554 - 08/07/05 01:28 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:
Chum on a 5 wt,boy is that a blast. I hooked up with one on the Skagit when I was fishing for Dollies/bull trout.

Jim
I believe Big D was using a 10 or 12 wt that day....still a struggle with those wild dawgies...wassamatah Old Man, weren't you paying attention when I was showing her picture at the Cedar Cleanup? or were you too busy playing with the lure I gave you? laugh

#104555 - 08/14/05 01:13 PM Re: first fly rod--suggestions requested
zambi Offline
Parr

I ended up heading down to The Greased Line in Vancouver and picking up a 9' 5wt TFO rod/Okuma reel. Tried it out up in the mountains over the weekend and caught some small (but pretty) cutts. The owner was really nice--I'll be back there for my next rod/reel.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |