Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104556 - 08/02/05 08:43 PM flies for remote lakes
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
If our schedules mesh correctly, in a couple of days I'll be going with my father-in-law on a horse trip up in the hills (far NE Lewis County). Any suggestions for patterns to use in those remote lakes? A couple that have been suggested to me so far are:

Griffith's Gnat
Renegade

Do any of you care to share any other ideas? I don't tie yet, so I'll be heading to my local shop to buy a few.

This will be interesting... I've never ridden a horse! But when I heard "there are lots of remote lakes up there" I knew I had to jump on it. smile

#104557 - 08/09/05 07:54 PM Re: flies for remote lakes
sauk Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Seattle
I'd add mosquito to that list. They'll be biting you and most likely the fish will be biting them.

I forgot to add: make sure the patterns you bring are small - typically the bugs the trout are feeding on in mountain lakes aren't very large - 16s and 18s are usually what I start with.

#104558 - 08/15/05 02:03 PM Re: flies for remote lakes
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
Sauk, you're right. The fish weren't very big.

We went to Dumbbell Lake. Warm water, shallow lake. We had been told there were BIG trout in there--as soon as I saw the lake, I was extremely skeptical of this. After having been there, I'd have to see them to believe it. I don't believe there's enough food source to get them very large. I caught 8 or 9 small cutts, and lost 5 or 6 more. The biggest was not more than 12"; most were half that. They *were* pretty!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |