Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1044675 - 01/01/21 03:20 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
How about Tereskis on the way to the barrier dam and the one on the way to Bluecreek which I can't remember that name. Used to be able to leave my boat there.

fp

#1044677 - 01/01/21 03:25 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: DrifterWA]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
1/01/2021

Bob's Longview/Kelso area...............Just an experience to go there, even if you think you don't need anything.

I'm pissed that they don't have a ACTIVE web site. Oh, they have a web site but its non-functional..... grrrrrrrr

I think them not having a website helps keep their prices down. Can you imagine trying to keep one current with their inventory? Are you on their e-mailing list for sales flyers? They've pulled sales items aside for me and held them for a couple of weeks until I could get down there while still honoring the sales price. Pretty cool!

#1044678 - 01/01/21 03:25 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: large edward]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Originally Posted By: large edward
Growing up in Aberdeen in the 60s and 70s, we had Walt Failor's and Reiners, both sporting goods + stores. Even Swanson's supermarkets had a great tackle selection with gear tailored to fishing the Grays Harbor area. When I moved to Seattle in 1975 to go to school, Outdoor Emporium (when they were on Pontius and Republican), was incredible for prices and selection.

Then can you remember Kolbs in Aberdeen and Vean Greggs in Hoquiam? I bought a tackle from both many many years ago.

fp

#1044679 - 01/01/21 03:26 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: fp]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: fp
How about Tereskis on the way to the barrier dam and the one on the way to Bluecreek which I can't remember that name. Used to be able to leave my boat there.

fp

Andy's Tackle? He and his wife (I think it was Agnes) were a hoot!

#1044680 - 01/01/21 03:29 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: fp]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: fp
Originally Posted By: large edward
Growing up in Aberdeen in the 60s and 70s, we had Walt Failor's and Reiners, both sporting goods + stores. Even Swanson's supermarkets had a great tackle selection with gear tailored to fishing the Grays Harbor area. When I moved to Seattle in 1975 to go to school, Outdoor Emporium (when they were on Pontius and Republican), was incredible for prices and selection.

Then can you remember Kolbs in Aberdeen and Vean Greggs in Hoquiam? I bought a tackle from both many many years ago.

fp

I ain't that old - j/k! I remember the Kolbs name but not Vean Greggs.

#1044683 - 01/01/21 07:02 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: Blu13]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
I think you’re correct on # 2 bean counters but still a poor business model. I’d rather spend a little more and give my money to Dennis Co.

Since we’re going down nostalgia lane remember Andy’s Tackle Box at the top of the hill going down to Blue Creek. Even if you didn’t need anything you’d stop in for coffee and a doughnut to get the scoop. One of the first shops that I know of that had live sand shrimp daily. Karen at the barrier dam is also money for the hard to find stuff. Still for
Sale?

Black Sheep in Lewiston is mind blowing. Never seen such a huge assortment of plugs. Steelhead central.

#1044686 - 01/02/21 02:21 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Sultan Sporting Goods - Near the confluence of the Sky/and Sultan. Dick (retired police chief) used to work the morning shift and I could always get a decent report from him by calling up and chatting and seeing how the "cracker bar" fished that morning. Then I could gauge how the river above there would fish, depending on water conditions.

I was building 3 new bridges across Olney Creek up the Sultan Basin Rd in 90-91. That winter is when the first of the "Super Floods of the '90s" occurred if I remember correctly? The store flooded, along with all the rest of the shops along the highway (the entire Snohomish Valley flooded). The "flood sale" was a good one though, as there was alot of stuff that was 75% off. Seemed the store was never the same after that, and a few years later the venue changed. The big flood's forever changed the landscape of the Sky in some locations as well.

#1044688 - 01/02/21 07:54 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: Get Bent]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Get Bent

Since we’re going down nostalgia lane remember Andy’s Tackle Box at the top of the hill going down to Blue Creek. Even if you didn’t need anything you’d stop in for coffee and a doughnut to get the scoop. One of the first shops that I know of that had live sand shrimp daily.

Ahh Andy's. Bought my 1st Loomis IM6 1141 Casting rod from him/there. The Cow was a steelhead factory back then. His wifes name was Agnes. The building is still there. Man time fly's!

#1044689 - 01/02/21 07:55 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It's not just the local tackle stores we have lost but just about everything "local". Have to buy so much online now as that is the only place stuff is available.

I make it a point to support my local whatever store, whether for hunting, fishing, books, whatever. Even if it is cheaper online, the help and advice are well worth the extra cost.

#1044690 - 01/02/21 08:21 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Holiday Market in Burlington has been the best place in north sound. The old store was more fun, could hardly get through the aisles but always had everything. Everyone working there knows what they're doing.

Yeager's in Bellingham has been around for many years.

#1044691 - 01/02/21 08:45 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
One more from me and it is more nostalgia than a primo sport shop. Back when Edmonds was still a small town and the ladies (Mom and Grandma) going to Seattle was for dressing up to go shopping for the day (early 50s) there was Crowe Hardware at 5th and Main. Bill Crowe kept me supplied with the necessities to fish all day from the then public walkway and Boat float along the south side of the ferry dock. Don't know if I ever got the fish smell out of the basket on my bike.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1044693 - 01/02/21 11:12 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Ha! How times have changed! Bought my first bow at Willie's Sport Shop in Centralia. He stocked everything from bicycles, gym clothes for all the schools, firearms and ammo, and everything fishing. However I bought my first steelhead rod and both spinning and baitcasting reels over at Yard Birds in Chehalis. Loved all the military surplus at Yard Birds. Got a backpack (that weighed a ton empty) and a gas mask bag to use as a tackle bag that lasted years. I always wanted on of the genuine Navy surplus rubber rafts - they were also heavy beyond belief and took a month to inflate with a bicycle pump. The flip side of Yard Birds in Chehalis was Sea Mart in Olympia - same inventory. A dollar would buy a lot of Okie drifters in those days. Up 4th Ave. was Ed's Sport Shop, where I bought some of my first fly fishing tackle. Flies were $0.25, but Muddler Minnows were $0.35, but they were so worth it when I fished them on the Toutle River. Memories . . .

#1044699 - 01/02/21 12:46 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: Salmo g.]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Thank you all for the nostalgia and the stories.

#1044702 - 01/02/21 01:56 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: Salmo g.]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Loved all the military surplus at Yard Birds. Got a backpack (that weighed a ton empty)

60 pounds?

#1044704 - 01/02/21 02:21 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

ArvidBarker: PM sent

#1044705 - 01/02/21 02:38 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ronnie]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ronnie

ArvidBarker: PM sent

Didn't go through?

#1044804 - 01/04/21 10:29 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
homesick in san diego Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SoCal
Oak Harbor Ace Hardware. Not a big selection but almost always had what I needed (if they didn't have sumthin Holiday Sports would usually have it).

This was back in the late 80's - early 90's when I used to fish 300+ days a year. Knew where on the island to catch fish nearly any day of the year.

Caught salmon casting from shore @Bush Pt. and Ft. CASEY. Also @ the West beach in Deception Pass.

Ling cod from the N. beach in D- pass. Remember one year a fellow showed me a King that he had just caught @ "The Hole" in late Nov, might have been Dec or Jan -- way later than you'd expect.

Trout in Cranberry lake.

Cutts n Dollies @ Ala Spit.

Used to have a deep depression just on the inside of Admiralty Head dialed in. At the right time of year and the right tide could just about guarantee a 12-15 lb or bigger King jigging just off of the bottom.

Used to catch, on average one 24"-28" cutthroat every year, from the exact same spot!

Easy Dungeness limits @ the county dock in Coronet Bay.

Steelhead @ Ft Casey, blackmouth in the winter on the East side...

Darn! Sorry took such a tangential long trek down memory lane.

Sunbird in Yelm-- only decent shop that wuz near Lacey. Yeah there is a Cabelas but they're out of the good stuff whenever the fish are in the rivers.

Take care n stay safe
Roger

#1044805 - 01/05/21 12:31 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: homesick in san diego]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I'm sure you're fishing down in San Diego,yes?

#1044842 - 01/05/21 03:38 PM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Bass Pro Shops is buying Sportsmans Warehouse. They are now the Walmart of the fishing world. Doubt I will be buying from them anymore. They killed Cabelas.

Edited by ArvidBarker (01/05/21 03:38 PM)

#1045690 - 01/12/21 08:31 AM Re: Favorite tackle shops [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Thought I would add a shop to the list,from last weekend's fishing excursion on the Russian. Kings Sport and Tackle in Guerneville. This place has a lot of history. It was once frequented by likes of the eccentric Bill Schaadt who used to do crazy stuff in those old days. The Russian river once had a run of 50,000 steelhead in it. I hope every sip of wine from Napa hurts the people who drink it!

Bare bones shop,but they have tackle if you need it. Reliable fish reports and a friendly staff. I bought a Dr Death colored plug and some dude bought one right after saying "I better get that plug too!" You're welcome for the sale,Kings. And I of course had to swing by Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati and spend 100 bucks on gear I don't need.

I'll be fishing a bit in Southern Oregon in a few weeks so it will be fun to see what old shops I can find down there.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |