Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1045652 - 01/11/21 05:25 PM Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Hard to stay optimistic considering the trajectory of some of our favorite river fisheries. Is this what Pugetropolis stream fishing will look like in another 25 years?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1045653 - 01/11/21 05:36 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
stop at Costco and get seaweed

#1045785 - 01/13/21 08:56 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: fish4brains]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
You know, one of my favorite kid time fishery memories was catching grass carp out of salmon creek here in Clark County. We used to fish the side channels with dough balls and worms and them suckers can fight! We had many of 10-20 fish evenings after school down below my grandmas place.

Although not table fare, they're a blast!

Keith

#1045791 - 01/13/21 10:27 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Sorry Keith,
No bait will be allowed.

#1045794 - 01/13/21 10:52 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Stalking Golden boners on flats is a lot of fun.
It is the closest thing we have to bonefishing and they aren’t pushovers by any means. They can be downright finicky at times.
A big one will smoke your reel quickly into your backing.
One man’s trash, another man’s treasure.
SF

#1045801 - 01/13/21 11:24 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: stonefish]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Stalking Golden boners on flats is a lot of fun.
It is the closest thing we have to bonefishing and they aren’t pushovers by any means. They can be downright finicky at times.
A big one will smoke your reel quickly into your backing.
One man’s trash, another man’s treasure.
SF
I fished for carp years ago . Then I got help.

#1045802 - 01/13/21 11:29 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
This guy's positivity is refreshing.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1045807 - 01/13/21 12:33 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: stonefish]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Back in the day, the Shuffleton power plant was located on Lake Washington, adjacent to Renton Boeing. They used to discharge warm water into the lake. As teenagers, we frequently caught largemouth bass and crappie in their discharge canal. This involved trespass and stealth, as crawling through an opening in a heavily posted fence was required. The off the charts fishing for pie plate sized crappie and 2-4 pound bass seemed worth the risk of being caught. We were never bothered by security. One evening, my dad and I were boat fishing for bass along the Shuffleton shoreline. He was casting a plug, and I was tossing a spoon into the shallows. I hooked a huge fish, and my first thought was, this is a really big BASS! My second thought was, how am I ever going to land this on my 6 foot spinning combo and 4 pound test line. For 25-30 minutes, we rowed, or were towed all over the south end of Lake Washington. It was "The Old Man and the C", and the "C" was a seventeen pound tail hooked carp.

A seventeen pound carp was the largest fish I had ever landed at that point in my life, but what does one do with such a trophy? I took it to Seattle Sporting Goods, in Renton, and asked them if they wanted to put it in their outdoor display case. A deal was struck; they got to display the fish for a day, and I would receive $1.50 worth of fishing tackle. When I went to pick up the carp, they said they had more people stop into the store to inquire about this fish, than any steelhead or salmon they had ever displayed. Most wanted to know what kind of spoon I was using... grin

The carp ended up buried at "C". Composted in our garden.

#1045810 - 01/13/21 12:55 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: CedarR]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I guess people eat carp in certain locales. Personally I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet on salmon and steelhead.

#1045824 - 01/13/21 03:20 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
steely slammer Online   content
Three Time Spawner

yep there are better days a comming.. maybe not in our life time but than again maybe not in this worlds life time way the state does things..

mainly region 6

#1045826 - 01/13/21 03:48 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Very sad to see the trajectory of PS salmon and steelhead fisheries. There is potential for some productive fisheries if everyone was united to make if happen, but I'm afraid excessive development and marine predators will thwart those attempts along with politics.....Without getting too wordy, my best guess is we are circling the drain with an end to all salmon and steelheading coming soon.

#1045827 - 01/13/21 05:08 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: CedarR]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: CedarR
Back in the day, the Shuffleton power plant was located on Lake Washington, adjacent to Renton Boeing. They used to discharge warm water into the lake. As teenagers, we frequently caught largemouth bass and crappie in their discharge canal. This involved trespass and stealth, as crawling through an opening in a heavily posted fence was required. The off the charts fishing for pie plate sized crappie and 2-4 pound bass seemed worth the risk of being caught. We were never bothered by security. One evening, my dad and I were boat fishing for bass along the Shuffleton shoreline. He was casting a plug, and I was tossing a spoon into the shallows. I hooked a huge fish, and my first thought was, this is a really big BASS! My second thought was, how am I ever going to land this on my 6 foot spinning combo and 4 pound test line. For 25-30 minutes, we rowed, or were towed all over the south end of Lake Washington. It was "The Old Man and the C", and the "C" was a seventeen pound tail hooked carp.

A seventeen pound carp was the largest fish I had ever landed at that point in my life, but what does one do with such a trophy? I took it to Seattle Sporting Goods, in Renton, and asked them if they wanted to put it in their outdoor display case. A deal was struck; they got to display the fish for a day, and I would receive $1.50 worth of fishing tackle. When I went to pick up the carp, they said they had more people stop into the store to inquire about this fish, than any steelhead or salmon they had ever displayed. Most wanted to know what kind of spoon I was using... grin

The carp ended up buried at "C". Composted in our garden.

No Way! I worked at Shuffleton, Puget Power then, as a summer helper while in college back in early 80's. We used to go out there at lunch and sight snag the big ones. I mean huge, 20+#ers. They always busted us off the pilings. We then made rebar spears w/ rope attached and finally got em. Fun times. Also got into the Sockeye w/ the full time employees w/ the boat in the water ready to go out of there. Limits before work! and no wait time at Coulon Park launch. That's all been sold and developed.

#1045846 - 01/14/21 09:42 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Puget Power.

Now those were the good ole days for sure.

#1045883 - 01/14/21 11:25 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
01/14/2021

Bow and arrow, 1964-68 while going to college in South Dakota. We'd leave then on the bank.....next morning there was no carp left, on the bank, just lots of foot prints from bobcats, fox, and coyote.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1045887 - 01/14/21 11:33 AM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While in HS in Sacramento one of my Biology classmates whet out and bow fished enough smallish carp that the class got an extra treat of dissecting a fish. He must have gotten them out of a nearby creek.

#1045903 - 01/14/21 01:07 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: Carcassman]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I have hooked them in upwards of 15 to 20 pounds. The red and white ones fight the best ,had one run 75 feet across the lake on 4 pound test and a noodle rod. That was back when I had lower self esteem smirk

#1045910 - 01/14/21 01:25 PM Re: Fishing Washington Rivers... looking FORWARD [Re: eyeFISH]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |