Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1046508 - 01/25/21 11:22 AM Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Looks like the steelhead's ability to re-establish historical genetics is not only resilient, but rapid!

https://wildsteelheaders.org/science-fri...he-elwha-river/

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1046510 - 01/25/21 12:30 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Not sure about re establish would be a term I would use. Whatever the environmental and harvest factors are will through natural selection determine genetics. In this case the areas blocked are mostly protected so things should go the way the article says. In the case of the Chinook not so much as to the return of the huge size. These were 5 / 6 / 7 year fish that are brutalized in the ocean harvest. Dams gone great step forward but it will be many years before we see what the Chinook run will evolve to. Steelhead do not get the marine destruction that other spieices do thank god but they are very vulnerable in the fresh water. What works on the Elwha ( with the watershed protected by the park ) exist in few places in the state.

#1046511 - 01/25/21 01:21 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Remember, too, that O. mykiss is optionally anadromous. In southern California they appear to have gone decades to even centuries of drought where they were wholly resident. When wet times returned, they became anadromous again The Elwha is about a century of dams, but even then the migratory/big water fish had the lakes and some below-dam anadromy.

As Rivrguy says, the big Chinook may come back only after we quit killing them in the ocean and let them grow to older ages. It is my understanding that there are still a minuscule few of the biog old fish left. Stop killing them, let them grow up, and let them have food in the ocean.

#1046515 - 01/25/21 01:31 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Good luck on the Chinook...genetics, maybe, but expression of 5+ year olds? Not a winning strategy any more, I'm afraid.

Steelhead...as noted, already happening.

Fish on...

Todd

#1046520 - 01/25/21 03:50 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
River Nutrients

The problem is that the Elwha were that big because that was what was needed for success in the river. No big fish, no successful recovery.

#1046521 - 01/25/21 04:00 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Carcassman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
The problem is that the Elwha were that big because that was what was needed for success in the river. No big fish, no successful recovery.

They definitely won't be able to use the same spawning areas as the big boys did.

Fish on...

Todd

#1046522 - 01/25/21 04:11 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Such a cool opportunity to learn about nature's healing powers.

I'm interested to see if a sockeye run develops going into Lake Sutherland through Indian Creek.

#1046525 - 01/25/21 05:17 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
River Nutrients

Don't know if it is still there but WDG had a screen structure in place at the outlet to Sutherland that blocked all up/down migration. Hopefully, it has been moved.

#1046538 - 01/26/21 08:14 AM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

CM, I think they removed that screen, and changed the fishing regulations on the lake to allow less and only smaller kokanee be retained...thought being that the native run of sockeye would be able to re-establish.

Indian Creek, I believe?

Fish on...

Todd

#1046540 - 01/26/21 08:45 AM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Indian creek is correct.

It’s my understanding that a weir was supposed to be placed across the river to separate hatchery from wild fish and to keep hatchery fish out of the upper river. I’ve read several places that it isn’t happening, which was one of the agreed upon terms for putting in the new hatchery.
Can any confirm that the weir is or isn’t being used?
SF

#1046544 - 01/26/21 10:04 AM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
River Nutrients

A problem is that we know that kokanee can and will smolt and subsequent return as adult anadromous sockeye. If they want a sockeye run, stop putting kokanee in the lake. If they are there and naturally spawning, just leave them alone and let nature sort it out.

#1046552 - 01/26/21 01:18 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Carcassman]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

CM, I'm pretty sure the entire recovery plan for Elwha sockeye is to allow the resumption of anadromy by the existing lacustrine sockeye salmon from Lake Sutherlund. I do not believe there is any hatchery involvement in this particular species recovery plan.

#1046553 - 01/26/21 01:29 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
River Nutrients

But are kokanee planted in the lake for sport fishing?

#1046554 - 01/26/21 02:28 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Let me be more specific. I believe that there are no hatchery releases of Kokanee in Lake Sutherland, period.

#1046555 - 01/26/21 02:37 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: OncyT]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: OncyT

Let me be more specific. I believe that there are no hatchery releases of Kokanee in Lake Sutherland, period.

Me, too.

I suspect Stonefish was mentioning that the main river should have had a weir installed to keep any stray hatchery fish from getting up to the spawning grounds on the Elwha proper.

Fish on...

Todd

#1046556 - 01/26/21 02:44 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: OncyT

Me, too.

I suspect Stonefish was mentioning that the main river should have had a weir installed to keep any stray hatchery fish from getting up to the spawning grounds on the Elwha proper.

Fish on...

Todd

Correct, I was referring to the weir or lack of on the main river, not Indian Creek.
SF

Edited by stonefish (01/26/21 02:45 PM)

#1046559 - 01/26/21 04:06 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
River Nutrients

I just looked at WDFW's trout and kokanee palm and species pages. Sutherland is still pointed out as a kokanee lake. A bio I know who worked in the Skagit watershed noted that genetic studies showed the "kokanee" taken in Baker were anadromous sockeye.

Even if they are no longer stocking kokanee, if they want to restore sockeye in Sutherland stop fishing for O. nerka.

#1046561 - 01/26/21 04:23 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I think that the regs have an 18" maximum "kokanee" size limit intended to protect adult sockeye...but I agree, if re-establishing anadromous sockeye in the lake is the intent, then a kokanee fishery at this point is counter-productive.

Makes as much sense as killing wild "rainbow trout" in steelhead streams.

Fish on...

Todd

#1046563 - 01/26/21 04:49 PM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Pretty healthy population of those kokes - if they go anadromous should be a decent little jump start to a sockeye run. As much as I'd hate to give up fishing them out of my kayak when staying at the cabin, I'd trade that in to see sockeye coming up Indian creek any day.

#1046576 - 01/27/21 08:30 AM Re: Elwha Dams and Steelhead Genetics [Re: Todd]
River Nutrients

An interesting aspect of the recovery will be if sockeye don't do well but the kokanee do. The lake shows the potential to grow smolts, but then the don't survive.

We are seeing the same sort of thing in the Cedar, and maybe other streams, with steelhead. Mykiss, like nerka, appear to be optionally anadromous in response to environmental conditions. If conditions in the ocean are "bad" the successful spawners are those that stay home. Some always go down to the sea, but until conditions improve their significant fecundity advantage is lost.

How will the managers respond when nature tells them that resident is the choice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |