Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1046734 - 01/29/21 07:13 AM Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Some positive news for once. Now same thing needs to happen on the Stilly, Sky, Sno, Green, Puy, & Nisqually. Would take lots of pressure off the coast!

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2628
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2627

Edited by RUNnGUN (01/29/21 07:59 AM)

#1046749 - 01/29/21 10:12 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
One can only dream...

#1046750 - 01/29/21 10:14 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Brent K Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Washington
I would love to see the rest of the Puget Sounds river re-open in some way but I don't think fhe Stilly will ever be open again.

#1046751 - 01/29/21 10:54 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Brent K]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Can an old guy fish out of a boat there?

#1046752 - 01/29/21 11:25 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Tug 3]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Tug 3
Can an old guy fish out of a boat there?

Yes, just can’t fish out of a boat while under power on the Skagit.
Can’t fish out of a boat equipped with a motor on the Sauk.
SF

#1046758 - 01/29/21 02:08 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Collapsed clay bank, Huge slides, and puking mud and whole trees in the river thru May. I wouldnt go, river is milk toast.

#1046766 - 01/29/21 09:09 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salman Offline
Spawner

If they opened all ps rivers for c&r the indians would net the [Bleeeeep!] out of it. Best to hope for no opener till theres a catch & kill fishery because numbers will be higher.

#1046767 - 01/29/21 11:07 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Sky-Guy]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Collapsed clay bank, Huge slides, and puking mud and whole trees in the river thru May. I wouldn't go, river is milk toast.

Slides are more common on the Sauk and it's feeders, fouling the river
below the mouth of the Sauk. Couple clear, cold nights and it'll clean
right up.

Unless the mud is coming in above Rockport, you can always fish
Marblemount to Rockport and miss it all.

#1046768 - 01/30/21 05:48 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: GoldDigger]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: GoldDigger
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Collapsed clay bank, Huge slides, and puking mud and whole trees in the river thru May. I wouldn't go, river is milk toast.

Slides are more common on the Sauk and it's feeders, fouling the river
below the mouth of the Sauk. Couple clear, cold nights and it'll clean
right up.

Unless the mud is coming in above Rockport, you can always fish
Marblemount to Rockport and miss it all.

Lol! Huge slide up there as well. People are saying its very big. Very very big. Stay away from all these areas.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1046770 - 01/30/21 10:09 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Just back from the Skagit. Good to visit an old friend, but as far as the fishing goes, it might as well be puking mud and whole trees. Heard of one steelhead in 2 days.

#1046772 - 01/30/21 11:25 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salmo g.]
Brent K Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Washington
Yeah, but that is probably for a bunch of fly fishermen and it is January. I have taken my nephews twice and they had fun catching dollies/bull trout. I'm looking forward to taking them when it is warmer and they have a better chance at a steelhead. It is tough in the cold with kids.

#1046775 - 01/30/21 12:45 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salman Offline
Spawner

What are the drift put in/take outs? I want to hit the mixer as well as a couple drifts up on the Sauk. Also is there anything technical I need to know on each drift?

#1046789 - 01/31/21 12:09 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Salman, there's several to choose from in the open area.

There is a nice launch at the Marblemount Bridge, another at the park in
Rockport, and for short drift you could launch at Fabers (North side). There's
a couple more, but those are the best.

For a take-out, I'd use Concrete (by the Baker River).

March and April will be the best months.

As for the Sauk, it can get thready, so be sure of your route before you go.

#1046790 - 01/31/21 08:26 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Don’t leave anything of value in your vehicles, especially on the Sauk.
There have been recent threads on the local flyfishing board about vehicles getting broken into.
Really sad you can’t enjoy a relaxing day on the river these days without having to worry that your vehicle might get [Bleeeeep!] with.
SF

#1046798 - 01/31/21 11:01 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salman
What are the drift put in/take outs? I want to hit the mixer as well as a couple drifts up on the Sauk. Also is there anything technical I need to know on each drift?

The oft mis-named "Mixer" aka Sauk Bar and sometimes the "fly bar" is no more. All shallowed up with no holding structure any longer. In fact there's very little good fly water between Rockport and Concrete any longer. Some good long boondogging runs remain, however.

Skagit launch sites include: Marblemount bridge, Rockport county park, Faber's Ferry, and Baker River. Sauk launches include: rough launch at Darrington bridge, SCL/USFS launch at Hwy 530 bridge, and Hippie Bar.

#1046807 - 01/31/21 05:57 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Generally speaking...

All the Skagit launches and drifts are pretty easy...just be aware that the river is big, and fast...faster than it looks until you are in it.

The Sauk launches vary from requiring a 4x4 to easy, and none of the drifts are easy, or obvious...without a network of folks sharing daily information, as that river changes on the daily, either be really good, and really careful, or go with someone who knows the river.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1046850 - 02/01/21 04:54 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Todd]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Todd
Generally speaking...

All the Skagit launches and drifts are pretty easy...just be aware that the river is big, and fast...faster than it looks until you are in it.

The Sauk launches vary from requiring a 4x4 to easy, and none of the drifts are easy, or obvious...without a network of folks sharing daily information, as that river changes on the daily, either be really good, and really careful, or go with someone who knows the river.

Fish on...

Todd

What would I have to watch out for on the Sauk?

#1046851 - 02/01/21 06:02 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salman]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Originally Posted By: Todd
Generally speaking...

Fish on...

Todd

What would I have to watch out for on the Sauk?

Wrapping your boat around a boulder, going through rapids upside down, getting sucked under a log jamb, death by drowning, etc. No worries... {;>)

#1046852 - 02/01/21 06:32 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salman Offline
Spawner

I understand the logjams can pop out of nowhere but wrapping the boat around a boulder I don’t. Are there sections where you have to take an exact line through a maze of boulders, if so which sections are worse?

#1046854 - 02/02/21 09:20 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salman]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

I understand the logjams can pop out of nowhere but wrapping the boat around a boulder I don’t. Are there sections where you have to take an exact line through a maze of boulders, if so which sections are worse?

You're asking a lot of questions that you could get an easier frame of reference on by just flying the river in Google earth..

Took me 5 minutes to do and realize that by your questions that you have no business floating above the darrington-sauk bridge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1026 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |