THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1047048 - 02/05/21 10:51 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
washingtonfisher Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Mount Vernon
Haven’t posted forever. I know we are all excited about a river or two opening, but the Sauk is literally the only river that I jumped out of the back of my boat while rowing after getting pinched between two log jams. Luckily river was low and could push the boat through. No room to put the oars down and getting pushed broadside into a jam doesn’t usually end well. Been rowing for over 20 years, so no newbie here. Great river, but needs to be respected. I am a little concerned what it could turn into with everyone wanting to get out. Stay safe!

#1047052 - 02/06/21 07:18 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
What Offline
Spawner

What is a suak and skajit

#1047055 - 02/06/21 10:17 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salman
How technical is the wood? Packing the boat over a pile or picking my way through piles that touch both sides of the boat? Are the boulder gardens going to hit both sides of the boat or do you need the right line?

The "expert oarsman" section of the Sauk is the reach between the Whitechuck River and Darrington, with some technical boulder gardens. That section is not open to fishing during the winter season. The section from Darrington to Bennettville Bridge (Hwy 530) would be pretty easy but for the ever-changing channel braids and logjams and sweepers. And that, I think, is why it takes out a few boats from time to time, because it's pretty easy, except for when it isn't. The section from Bennettville bridge to the mouth has always been pretty easy in my experience and opinion. BTW, there is no take out near the mouth of the Sauk, so if you're there, you're committed to another 4 or 5 miles downstream to Faber's Ferry on the Skagit.

#1047066 - 02/06/21 01:28 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salmo g.]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
How technical is the wood? Packing the boat over a pile or picking my way through piles that touch both sides of the boat? Are the boulder gardens going to hit both sides of the boat or do you need the right line?

The "expert oarsman" section of the Sauk is the reach between the Whitechuck River and Darrington, with some technical boulder gardens. That section is not open to fishing during the winter season. The section from Darrington to Bennettville Bridge (Hwy 530) would be pretty easy but for the ever-changing channel braids and logjams and sweepers. And that, I think, is why it takes out a few boats from time to time, because it's pretty easy, except for when it isn't. The section from Bennettville bridge to the mouth has always been pretty easy in my experience and opinion. BTW, there is no take out near the mouth of the Sauk, so if you're there, you're committed to another 4 or 5 miles downstream to Faber's Ferry on the Skagit.

Just what I was looking for! Is the last 4-5 miles pretty fast or will I be rowing?

#1047068 - 02/06/21 02:37 PM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Depends on the flow, wind and how much dinking around you choose to do. After fishing all day on the Sauk I usually row out for the exercise.

#1047075 - 02/07/21 09:53 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: RUNnGUN]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Quick update for Y'all...

Big landslide today just east of Concrete on Hwy. 20., so you can't get
to Rockport via Hwy. 20.

Also, Concrete-Sauk Valley is closed a few miles east of Hwy. 20
(another landslide and the roadway is gone).

South Skagit Hwy. (comes off Hwy. 9 and goes to Concrete) is also closed
due to yet another landslide.

To get to Rockport or Marblemount, your only option is to take Hwy. 530
out of Arlington to Darrington and then over to Rockport.

The Skagit is clean and very fishable, so I would think the same goes for
the Sauk.

Edited by GoldDigger (02/07/21 09:54 AM)

#1047076 - 02/07/21 10:13 AM Re: Skagit and Sauk to Open Catch & Release [Re: Salman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Just what I was looking for! Is the last 4-5 miles pretty fast or will I be rowing?

A boat launching at Darrington typically takes out at Bennettville bridge access. Launch at Bennettville and take out at Native Hole, just upstream of the Old Gov't. Bridge. Launch at Native Hole and take out at Hippy Bar, but that can be difficult. Launch at Hippy Bar and you're stuck going to the mouth and down to Faber's on the Skagit, which can be a long drift. I've exited the mouth of the Sauk into the Skagit in mid-afternoon, only to be met by the upstream breeze. If I'd had a sail, I could just about sail upstream to the nearby Rockport launch, but really not quite. Getting downstream to Faber's requires some rowing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |