THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1048192 - 02/24/21 05:38 PM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
As I recall neither of the two tribal officers involved (operating outside their jurisdiction) were charged despite holding those two hunters and a child at gun point for hours. Again, as I recall, the senior officer on scene was subsequently fired by the tribe. Was there any quiet deal for compensation? If so, it was really a quiet deal.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1048251 - 02/28/21 11:23 AM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Has anyone heard any update on this? The NOF is underway, are the Skokes participating? Did WDFW withdraw the challenge?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1048253 - 02/28/21 11:29 AM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I would be shocked and amazed if Ron Warren doesn't agree to absolutely every demand made by any of the PS tribes. He and Susewind get their paychecks whether they work on behalf of recreational fishing or not. Makes no difference based on their performances to date.

#1048255 - 02/28/21 11:34 AM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
We were successful. We got you fifteen minutes in Area 10.

#1048281 - 03/01/21 09:20 AM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Carcassman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

So you're saying we get enough time to launch and retrieve our boats, just no time to put a fishing line in the water. To heck with this defund the police nonsense; how's about we defund WDFW?

#1048284 - 03/01/21 10:45 AM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

It's the catching, it's the OPPORTUNITY to be out in nature and on the water. By the way, I support such defunding.

#1048287 - 03/01/21 02:49 PM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

It's only opportunity if it includes a reasonable chance of catching fish. Just like the SCOTUS said that treaty fishing rights are meaningless if there are no fish in the water to catch. Which appears to be the direction we're heading, even for many of the tribes. SCOTUS may have to re-address this issue soon if the U&A become functionally fishless.

#1048288 - 03/01/21 03:03 PM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

That's true. Boldt II was supposed to cover that.

#1048303 - 03/01/21 09:35 PM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Salmo g.]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

So you're saying we get enough time to launch and retrieve our boats, just no time to put a fishing line in the water. To heck with this defund the police nonsense; how's about we defund WDFW?

Have to disagree. My interpretation of that rule is that the moment your bait/lure hits the water the clock starts and like when shrimping your bait/lure has to be out of the water when the clock tics 15 minutes. And if that becomes too burdensome for the managers next year there will be a defined 15 minutes; as in 4:00 A.M. to 4:15 A.M.

Oh, and any fish hooked and not in the boat within that 15 minutes will have to be released.

It is all about opportunity after all.......

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1048306 - 03/02/21 10:50 AM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Salmo g.]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
It's only opportunity if it includes a reasonable chance of catching fish. Just like the SCOTUS said that treaty fishing rights are meaningless if there are no fish in the water to catch. Which appears to be the direction we're heading, even for many of the tribes. SCOTUS may have to re-address this issue soon if the U&A become functionally fishless.

The Boldt II decision went to the SCOTUS a couple years back. It ended with a 4-4 tie when Justice Kennedy recused himself since he voted against the Tribes when this issue came up at the 9th Circuit court, back when he was a Circuit court judge. A 4-4 tie meant that the original decision from the 9th Circuit stands, but only for the 9th Circuit territory (nine Western States which include 15 District courts).

But if Justice Kennedy had participated in the decision, the Tribes likely would have lost the case. The Tribes are well aware of that. My sense is that they may no longer see the SCOTUS as a reliable path to adjudicating their issues. As such, they will likely avoid going to the SCOTUS for anything.

Edited by cohoangler (03/02/21 10:52 AM)

#1048308 - 03/02/21 12:23 PM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The Tribes aren't the only ones who can bring cases. Plus, the Tribes won the Culvert Case at the Supremes. That was here the State argued for the right to destroy runs with no consequence as a part of development.

#1048311 - 03/02/21 01:55 PM Re: Skokomish Tribe shoves Chit in Susewinds Face [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Back a bit a friend of mine who is tribal told me the tribal golden rule for individuals was you do nothing that would put tribal rights ( be it fish or gambling or gas tax ) in court. I doubt that has changed much.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, Krijack, steely slammer), 998 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |