Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1048812 - 03/13/21 09:14 AM Lake WA trout
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

So today 3/13/21, I caught a Lake WA trout (rainbow) off a dock using power bait. 16.5 inches.

It was clipped.

Was it a hatchery steelhead smolt that found its way into Lake WA and decided to residualize there?

A late winter run or early summer run hatchery steelhead jack that found its way into Lake WA?

A holdover stocker trout from a Cast for Kids event from the summer (or whenever) that had a clipped fin? (although WDFW usually doesn't clip hatchery stocker trout).

A wild trout that somehow had a malformed/missing adipose?

Attachments
LakeWA_Rainbow_13Mar21.jpg

#1048813 - 03/13/21 10:09 AM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
03/13/2021

Have no answer BUT that would be a awesome "eat", cleaned fish, some green sticks to skew fish, fire with alder wood, some butter/salt/pepper.....don't over cook. you'd be good to go.

Oh nice catch

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1048814 - 03/13/21 11:32 AM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If it was clipped it would likely be a hatchery fish, anadromous type. So, best guess is a steelhead that came into the system from outside.

#1048818 - 03/13/21 08:33 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
So are the cedar river Steelhead officially done/gone forever now ? It looks like a summer run jack ?

#1048819 - 03/13/21 10:46 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: skyrise]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: skyrise
So are the cedar river Steelhead officially done/gone forever now ? It looks like a summer run jack ?

Interesting point? Is the Cedar R. Steelhead considered extinct? Did Herschel get them all? If so, why not try to rebuild it from any stock that will work? Hell, make into a hatchery factory for recreation? But our WDFW has there head up there ass to far to even consider such a thing! Such BS!

#1048823 - 03/14/21 09:14 AM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
The Cedar has become a very good trout stream considering it is in western WA. It would be even better if it didn’t get the [Bleeeeep!] poached out of it.
Lots of dirtbags littering up the river and breaking into rigs down there while people are fishing.
Not sure if the steelhead population is done, but some of the native rainbows could become steelhead or produce steelhead for sure.
SF

#1048824 - 03/14/21 11:05 AM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: stonefish]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: stonefish
The Cedar has become a very good trout stream considering it is in western WA. It would be even better if it didn’t get the [Bleeeeep!] poached out of it.
Lots of dirtbags littering up the river and breaking into rigs down there while people are fishing.
Not sure if the steelhead population is done, but some of the native rainbows could become steelhead or produce steelhead for sure.
SF

Agreed ! Just like the Green, as soon as the regular season ends, (as if there is one...) the scum sucking Steelhead poaching season begins.

As far as the old Cedar winter Steelhead goes , my buddy that lives on that river claims there are still a few big spring winters that show up and dig up the gravel near their place...

Edited by 20 Gage (03/14/21 11:07 AM)

#1048836 - 03/15/21 12:40 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: DrifterWA]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Have no answer BUT that would be a awesome "eat", cleaned fish, some green sticks to skew fish, fire with alder wood, some butter/salt/pepper.....don't over cook. you'd be good to go.

Yeah, about that......

I had the fine pleasure of watching a toxicity study done on fish in that lake a few years back. I personally would never eat any fish out of that lake. Ever. But that's just me.

The big takeway was just don't eat a fish that exceeded 18" in length, and spent it's entire life in the lake.

That 16" fish is probably OK if it hasn't been in the lake too long.

#1048837 - 03/15/21 12:49 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Feed the toxic fish to the homeless.

#1048838 - 03/15/21 03:09 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the replies. Just some additional info on this mystery fish:

- the meat was a very pale pink, not deep orange like a fresh fish out of the salt

- it had very small not-yet-developed egg sacks. Each skein was about the size of a fat toothpick

- so....with the Cedar hatchery not producing hatchery steelhead, and with the local hatchery winter run ending weeks/months ago, by process of elimination I guess the remaining possibilities are:

- hatchery smolt that found it's way into the lake and grew to 16 inches?
- early hatchery summer run jack (jill) that strayed into the lake?
- post-spawn downriver hatchery fish (small adult hen?) that wandered into the lake from some other system?
or .... ?

Edited by cheapskate (03/15/21 03:11 PM)

#1048840 - 03/15/21 03:49 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I wonder if it might not be part of some type of WDFW study, though I don’t know of any rainbows or steelhead being stocked in Lk WA or it’s systems.
We used to catch unclipped coho in MA 9 that had coded wire tags in them that were part of studies.
Maybe something like that with some clipped fish?????
SF

#1048983 - 03/21/21 12:25 PM Re: Lake WA trout [Re: cheapskate]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Not to take away from the topic which I think is a stray or unknown wdfw program, has anyone seen a huge fish the size of a car in the lake? I saw it once while driving. I saw a huge wake in the water, waves each going away from the fish on the surface. It was the size of a small truck. Windsurfer was out there heading the opposite way of the fish in a big hurry. Fish basically looked like a 2000lb+ bullhead. Not long and lean like a sturgeon, shorter at least 12ft but probably 10 ft around.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |