Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1049626 - 03/30/21 07:19 AM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Problem with summer-runs is that they overlap with salmon and mess up all those salmon fisheries, especially net. A large summer run return could easily conflict with Chinook fisheries. The neat thing about winters, from a manager's perspective, is that there is not a whole lot of "bycatch" to worry about.

I don't eat steelhead, so the dietary arguments Doc makes don't mean much but I would much rather fish in the summer that in the dead of winter (in WA). Dead of winter in Costa Rica or Hawaii is fine, though.

#1049631 - 03/30/21 08:36 AM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Plant more fish winter runs, summer runs more opportunity more fishing. Just because I don’t fish for this fish or that fish does not make me want to shut down your favorite fishery just as long as I get to have my fishery being so selfish to only care about my fishing and the heck with your chosen fishing. It’s fishing for crying out loud. And if we judge every fishery by the cost versus returns we would have no fishing. Or just join WFC and close fishing down for everyone cause we’re so selfish and you want control of everyone else’s life. Give me more opportunity more fish, plant more fish try broodstock or whatever works.

#1049641 - 03/30/21 09:24 AM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
In general I don't think most people care about table fare, or can recognize quality fish. I've given pink salmon from the puyallup to friends and they were genuinely appreciative and complimented the quality.
I've seen bright coastal kings vary in quality from 1/2" of fat, to nary a bit to be found.

People just want to fish, if the winter hatchery runs disappeared there'd be a pretty big gap in time where nothing was going on.

I'd love to see some more summer runs. I don't know what's going on at the wynoochee but I can't seem to find them.

Edited by thaxor (03/30/21 09:30 AM)

#1049649 - 03/30/21 10:06 AM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

Winter steeheading is such a popular sport for so many people who grew up here. I agree with thaxor about with no winter hatchery fish there isn't a whole lot to do in the winter months for angler. Plus winter steelhead fishing generates money for the economy in quite a few ways. I also agree with Francis that winter steelhead are not the greatest table fare but I smoke the steelhead I catch anyway and they are ok that way. I have caught summer steelhead late in the year (Sept-Oct.) that didn't taste very good cooked either. Thaxor, the Wynooche summer steelie run has not been good the last couple of years, especially two years ago. So, you are not the only one having difficulty finding them. Poor ocean conditions is the explanation.

#1049656 - 03/30/21 11:44 AM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
03/30/2021

Wynoochee summer run..... many that post on here, don't remember the 1st plants of these summer run, there are still a few locals that post here, do remember. It was and has been a awesome fishery over the years, except for the past 2 summers.

Problem I see.....plants on both summer run and winter run on the Wynoochee have remained the same WHILE THE FISHING PUBLIC NUMBERS HAVE INCREASED BY THE THOUSANDS, PLUS THE DRIFT BOATS AND JETBOATS HAVE INCREASED AT THE SAME RATE.

Summer Run ARE far superior to winter run as far as fresh eating, smoking and "smoked and canned", while not a "springer", not a bad 2nd.

Oh, another problem I see....QIN net winter run steelhead, tried to do summer run but didn't do so well, I'm not sure summer run steelhead could ever be greatly increased without QIN ok...... what are the chances????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1049693 - 03/30/21 02:48 PM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I agree that winter run doesn't taste all that great but it ain't bad. And it's great to have something to fish for in the winter!!!!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1049816 - 03/31/21 07:31 PM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eddie]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Winter steelhead don't taste good? What a fine example of a first world problem.

#1049897 - 04/01/21 02:47 PM Re: Broodstocking [Re: _WW_]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Originally Posted By: _WW_
Winter steelhead don't taste good? What a fine example of a first world problem.
Fair point!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1050223 - 04/07/21 02:26 PM Re: Broodstocking [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Frankly, I just don't get why anybody in the hatchery world wants to invest in harvest programs for winter steel.

In terms of food value, they rank right up there with brown CR tules or dark coastal chinook... basically a fat-free carcass full of eggs or sperm.

You want hatchery steelhead to harvest? Plant summer runs... a much higher snd better use of limited dollars for hatchery programs

Yea that! Better conditions to fish and better fighters too!

Edited by RUNnGUN (04/07/21 02:27 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1088 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |