Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105198 - 09/05/06 04:32 PM Albacore on the Fly
Steve R Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle
I joined Puget Sound Fly Company for a tuna trip on Sunday. We left Astoria about 5:30am and headed west for about 45 miles until the water temp hit almost 60 degrees. The skipper yelled Tuna and we put out a couple of gear rods and a fly and soon had two Albacore ripping line off the reels. I dropped my 500 grain 12 weight and let it start sinking near the other fly hooked Tuna and soon saw the fly line disappear with about 200 feet of backing. I landed my first Albacore. Anil and I both honored our fish by eating the still pumping heart.
My second fish came straight to the boat without a fight but when it saw the net it took about 250 feet of line in 10 seconds. I have never seen a fish fly the fast. Landed my second Albacore. As we were washing off the freshly bled fish, my fly was behind the boat and I was fast to another fish. As it came closer to the boat I couldn't believe how big it was. It was a 7' Blue Shark. When it finally saw the boat it made one big head shake and the 30-pound leader parted and he quickly swam away. The 5 guys on our boat landed 13 Albacore and the 5 on the second boat landed 11. It is a long day but one I look forward to again next year. Check it out on www.pugetsoundflyco.com

Good fishing, Steve

#105199 - 09/06/06 01:11 AM Re: Albacore on the Fly
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for sharing your story, Steve. I often think about chasing albacore some time . . . but then remember I'm prone to sea sickness. 45 or more miles out, and a lot of the trips are over-nighters - not sure if I want to risk it. Sure sounds fun, tho.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#105200 - 09/06/06 11:34 AM Re: Albacore on the Fly
Steve R Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle
Salmo g, we were fortunate that there were not very heavy seas. None of the 10 of us were seasick. On a rough day just leaving the Columbia can be a challenge. I will definately be going on the trip next year.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1049 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |