Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105312 - 12/29/00 05:39 AM We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Anonymous
Unregistered

An expected but bothersome article was released by the LA Times-Washington Post Service (Wash. DC) earlier this week that made it on the front page of Tuesday's Oregonian newspaper. All you guys that tried to post denials that Gee Dub would be detrimental to fish and the environment, likely because his agenda would help you personally more, should eat your words along with the extra polution and slaughter coming to a town near you in the not-too-distant future. ....

It is a factual artical written by Ester Schrader and Elizabeth Shogren of the Washington (DC) Post Service. It tells of Bush's inevitable changes that will serve big business at the expense of people's safety and the environment! Read the article and what is coming that we warned of. To quote from the article: "Bush was propelled into the presidency by donations from entrepreneurs and financial and business interests at a level never seen before". It also quoted John Claybrook, former head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and current key member of the advocacy group 'Public Citizen', as saying "We expect them (Bush regime) to systematically stop certain things and to underfund others. They will probably take a really harsh look at anything that happened in the last three months of the Clinton administration. ... Getting regulatory activity going again will be very difficult, at least in a positive way". ...

In other words, people's health and forests aren't going to be the only things that will be sacrificed for bigger corporate profits. Read the article!

#105313 - 12/29/00 11:19 AM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Ono4fish Offline
Parr

Loc: Keyport, Wa. USA
LA Times, Washington Post Service and The Oregonian all promenent papers but don't believe everything they print. It's kinda like the guy that caught a 30 lb. steelie out of "can't tell you where creek". But what do I know...I'm just a smolt around here. Thight Lines

#105314 - 12/29/00 11:51 AM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Ono4fish,
What do you consider a reliable source of information?

#105315 - 12/29/00 01:00 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, WA
Stinkfoot,

I consider a reliable source to be the horse's mouth.

#105316 - 12/29/00 01:14 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Who would that be? Shrub?

I think you have things turned around...

#105317 - 12/29/00 02:56 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
George W was very WELL funded. By whom and what is a good question. I suspect he owes alot of people, which is scary. Then theres the republican agenda(rich get richer) and big buisness can do no wrong. Seems like we will be in for a rocky 4 years.
And yes there will be more logging you can count on that.

#105318 - 12/29/00 03:05 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sumner Wa.
Seems funny how there's an energy shortage right about now. Could be boom time for AK oil in refuge areas.

#105319 - 12/29/00 03:37 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
You can bet any oil exploration in alaska will be given to Texas oil interests. GW Bush has no integrity. Listen to his speaches they are always Great America this, Heroic people that but there is never any substance fult patriotic fluff. His adgenda is to do whatever his friends tell him too. He won the popularity vote among the business special interests.

#105320 - 12/29/00 03:52 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I haven't read the article in question. What I do know is that the liberal media has a way of twisting what the republicans say to suit their own purposes. Conversely when President Pinocheo is screwing us over or commiting some crime against the Constitution they spin it into something that makes him look like a saint. I agree with Ono4fish.

#105321 - 12/29/00 03:59 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Give it a rest RT. Until something real happens, this is hypothesizing and bs. Your guys were no saints, Gores' biggest holding is Occidental Petroleum. The same OP that won the contract to do exploration in the Rain Forrest area. Our economy is unravelling faster than snot and has been over the last year. Now GW has to come in and try to fix it.

The Democratic controlled State of WA has done nothing to ban nets or remove dams. This we know for sure (and yes, there was a repub candidate who had a plan to save the fish!). Why don't you try taking a few pop shots at them versus a guy whos not even in office yet. Your party is very easy to pick on also.....

Respectfully,

Steve

#105322 - 12/29/00 04:09 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
If you want a more reliable source of information, check out a foreign newspaper, say Canadian or French. The domestic media is too interested in catering to gov't appointees and agencies to publish much truth.
Sorry if that level of cycnicism offends people.
Since this is pretty much a Democratic State, in both house and senate representation, and Geedub is a republican, and didnt carry this state, I think we're in for a pretty rough 4 years, at least from the federal perspective. On the other hand, though, Republicans seem to like international politics, and we could gain some ground regarding the high seas fishery.
Only, however, if our specific interests (sport fisheries) can be made into a big enough dollar issue to attract some attention from big business or lobbyists.
Give it some consideration. The spotted owlists made their biggest advances during repub admins, and we're basically greenies, too. (Maybe I shouldnt have said that, it'll pi** off a lot of people, but Oh well.)
Let's hear some more opinions.

#105323 - 12/29/00 04:58 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Great point about the Demacratic leadership in Washington State doing next to nothing in terms of increasing fishing opportunities for rec fishers. Their hearts bleed so badly for the tribes that they give away the sports share without a whimper(not a knock on the tribes...I would take all the steelhead I could get away with too). I can't see GW doing any worse. At least he likes to hunt and fish and therefore will be more able to put his-self in our hipboots. My other thought is that no matter if you're a candidate, a Florida State Supreme court judge, a Supreme court judge or a steelheader with too much time on his hands.....you will have political bias that will keep you from seeing the truth....which will generally lie somewhere between the two points of view. Liberal paper...liberal rhetoric. Give GW a chance before you label him a failure.

#105324 - 12/29/00 05:23 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Ono4fish Offline
Parr

Loc: Keyport, Wa. USA
Why do I get the feeling we've been around this stump before? I've got an idea, what say we all go fishing...then we can all get back and share some of the stories!!

#105325 - 12/29/00 07:01 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve J, you tell me to "respectfully, ... give it a rest"...? I respectfully suggest you pull the sack off your head and watch Gee Dub unleash the foxes in the hen house - big time! I'm one of the people that can hear a branch cracking in a tree I'm under, look up at it break lose in a free fall right at me, and know it's going to land on me if I don't move, w/o having to stand there and let it hit me on the head first to be sure it is actually going to happen. When the branch smacks you we will try not to say 'told ya so' too harshly. ... BTW, as I've said all along, I'm not a 'Gore fan'; as you seem to characterise me and others that felt forced to vote for that chump.

#105326 - 12/29/00 09:54 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Mountin' Man Offline
Parr

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Same old tired liberal scare tactics. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! But if you'd just elect our guy he'll have all the solutions! Geez, give it a rest and go fishin' will ya?

#105327 - 12/29/00 10:37 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa,USA
There is not as much difference between the Democrat party and Republican party as they would like us to believe.During the election they try to highlight their differences to get your vote.Much or most of the rhetoric is BS.
The Demos are just as big business as the GOP when it comes down to it.Consider that it was Al Gore(remember him debating Ross Perot ?) and Bill Clinton that gave us GATT and NAFTA.The same guy who wrote Earth in the Balance wants our economy to compete head on with other countries that have no environmental protection agency to speak of.How long before we have to damn our own environment to compete ?Who is tied firmly to Tyson Seafoods? Bill Clinton.Who actively courts those nitwits that would ban our fishing because hooks cause pain? What has Clinton,Gore,Locke,Lowery or Gardiner done that is notable and successful in regards to the environment and fish?If you follow any party blindly you will be taken for granted.Bush deserves a chance before condemnation.Gore,Clinton and Locke have all had their chance.They did nothing for the environment.

#105328 - 12/29/00 11:14 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well; We have a vested and common interest here, and yes we've waltzed around this stump many times b4. Deja vu anyone? Now, however, there's an opportunity. Take a senator fishing, or something else to get his ear. There's a Dem. majority in the senate, dont know about the house, and a GOP going into the Oval.
Sounds like gridlock, but it could be a good thing with a little less talk and a lot more action. In partisan politics each side likes to outdo the other, jockeying for favor at the next election.
One of the reasons the tribes have prevailed so well for so long is that they have better whiners (lobbyists) in DC, going "Oh poor us, have pity on the red man."
Simply stated, as long as we've had our TV and our beer, we've been complacent with our situation. "Going Fishing" is parallel to why Chief Truckee and his son Winnemucca didnt do so well at a time when they could have changed history. (Read about it.)
Now, the times and the needs of the times have changed. If we fail to take an active role in the preservation of our interest, it may well vanish. There's no difference between what we're wanting and what Ducks Unlimited has achieved, other than applied effort.
Rhetoric without application wont cut it.
Geedub may appear to run the country, but try to have him sell something without senate approval. That's where the seat of power is. We have a new Senator, and she may be vulnerable. I dont know her, but someone must. Get to her & see what can be done. Someone, please, or arrange an introduction and I'll try.
More opinions?????

#105329 - 12/29/00 11:18 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
As a past Pres. once said READ MY LIPS!! Get over it, forget about it and go fishing. I wonder if Clinton will teach GW how to smoke cigars in the Oval Office?

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#105330 - 12/29/00 11:19 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
the Majority of GW's campaign was funded by big oil. You can bet that he has some favors to repay ( i.e. Alaskan Nat Wildlife refuge). Hmmm, interesting how the American's American would allow 25% of that oil to be sent to other countries (plan for ANWR).
At least he didn't appoint dirty Slade as sec of the interior. (Gale Norton was appointed today)

#105331 - 12/29/00 11:35 PM Re: We tried to warn you about PRES Elect GWB
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Slade could have made a decent Secy of interior. After all the associated tribal governments had a problem with him, didnt they?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |