LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105406 - 12/31/00 02:55 PM Yakutat Info Please!
jduck1 Offline
Fry

Loc: Jackson, CA, USA
Last year we went to Kodiak and had a bad trip. This year we decided to go to Yakutat. We are looking at Yakutat Lodge. Only problem is we can't get a Reservation until Sept 10. Is this still good fishing time for the Yakutat area? To those who have stayed at the Yakutat lodge, how are the cabins vs the rooms? We can get in the rooms on Sept 18th. Is it worth waiting for the rooms? Any other places to stay that you would recommend? Thanks in advance.
Jeff
jlcramer@cwnet.com

#105407 - 12/31/00 03:47 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
jduck,

I've stayed @ the Yakutat Lodge a couple of times. There rooms are basic, but work. We have definitely had some issues with them, but when there is little competition in a town like that, I guess they feel it is no big deal to give marginal customer service. Last summer when we were up there we took a look around Leonards Landing (sp?) and decided we would try to stay there IF we went back. They are right on the bay and have a nice all-around set up.

When you talk about the cabins I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't seen any by the Y.L. but Leonards does have some nice ones right on the water.

I haven't fished the Silver run which is what I am guessing you are targeting by your timing so I really can't comment on if that week will work. I know alot of folks target the second week of Aug. through the first week of Sept.

Good luck,

Steve

#105408 - 12/31/00 06:57 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I'm not real familiar with the Yakutat area but I am with other parts of SE. Ak. and can tell you from personal experience that the weather in Sept. can get ugly and stay that way for quite a while, I don't think I'd spend much money on a trip that late in the season.

#105409 - 12/31/00 09:21 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
Bring lots of bug spray and lots of film.
More mosquitos and bald eagles then you will ever want to see in Yakutat.

------------------
"Just Say No To Sovereign Nations!"

#105410 - 12/31/00 11:40 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
Mountin' Man Offline
Parr

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Jduck1,
I don't recommend Yakutat Lodge. The locals call it the "airport lodge". It's located right on the edge of the tarmac at the airport and isn't very aesthetically pleasing. Then again, if you're on the river all day who cares! There are other reasons but I'll leave it at that.

I'd recommend Leonard's Landing (1-877-925-3474), Glacier Bear Lodge (907-784-3202), or Bay View Lodge (winter # 970-669-5546 summer # 907-784-3341). If you would like to stay at a B&B try Blue Heron Inn (907-784-3287).

Your timing should be O.K. for silvers but this is a fishery that many S.E. Alaska folks use to fill their freezers so reserve early. The only game in town for a rental rig is Situk Leasing (owned by the same folks that own the airport lodge) and the cost is steap while the quality of the rigs leaves something to be desired. But this is, after all, small town Alaska. Check your lights, turn signals, etc before you drive away or you'll get a ticket and don't forget to wave.

Leave a couple of days open on either end of your trip in case of weather related delays as there's only one plane in and one plane out each day.

Leave a few for seed and have a great time! (you will)

#105411 - 01/02/01 12:00 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
skydrifterdave Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
Never fished there for salmon but steelhead winter in the river and as soon as it is fishable in the spring there are some steelhead around. May seems to be the peak of the run. A buddy of mine loves to flyfish for the sockeye I'm not sure when that run comes in.

#105412 - 01/04/01 01:17 AM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
Mike@home Offline
Egg

The Situk offers good fishing for Silvers in September. Most of the water feeding the Situk comes from Situk Lake, so if it rains, the river stays clear. The Yakutat Lodge is a dump, but any port in a storm. The Blue Heron offers nice rooms, they also offer boat rental and shuttle service. The brightest fish will be down low towards the rivers mouth. The river tends to be crowded at any time, especially at the take out. If you want to see some Situk photos check out: http://www.offc.org/stories/mich2

#105413 - 01/04/01 12:34 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Fished the Situk and Lost River last fall 9/15 - 9/18. Coho fishing was slooooowww on the Situk, but are party of 3 managed to beach 3 out of our 4 hookups, out of 8 hours of fishing over 2 days (yes, I know this isn't much time to pound the river, but I was fishing with golfers!).

Fished the mouth of the Lost R. one afternoon and had several hookups, however the fish were definately alot smaller on the Lost (5-7lbs) than the average fish of 10-15lbs in the Situk. Everyone we talked to of course said you should of been here 10 days ago!

We stayed in some shacks next to the Situk for $200 a night no running water or electricity and bear walking on your porch every nihgt at 2-3:00 a.m. looking for a handout (boy you got to love AK).

One other note, from a native Washingtonian, you've truly never seen a hard rain until your in a Yakutat rain!!!!

Well, anyway I hope this helps.

Keep you hooks sharp!

Bobber Down

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#105414 - 01/04/01 11:06 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
willhuntforfood Offline
Egg

Loc: ellensburg
You might reconsider going into Yakutat that late, as u can see from the other post weather and fishing can be ??? at best pluss what a friggen GONG SHOW lots of people on a very small river system. But one good alternative in Yakutat that i dont believe was posted is getting Bob Fraker local guide to take you down the Anklin River in a jet boat storys of hooking 100 silvers a day are TRUE (Bobs Phone 907 784 3319) also there can be alot of silvers left in the salt, you can pick up a charter for that if your not to much of a puker,plus there might be some good halibut to.
I will recomend the Mouring Lodge 907 784 3300, I think they do have the best acomodations in town maybe not the best veiw but defantly the best facilitys by far.
At all cost DO NOT STAY AT THE YAKUTAT LODGE
(airport)good song and dance tell you get there.

[This message has been edited by willhuntforfood (edited 01-04-2001).]

#105415 - 01/04/01 11:24 PM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
steelie67 Offline
Fry

Loc: the dalles or.
I went up to Yakutat 3 years ago , had a great time . Went in August when the silvers were in .. Have a buddy that guides up there. Absolut charters ..(907)784-3524 Look him up ,and ask for BEAKER , he`s a great captain ,when he`s not drinking beer. I would like to go again , in the spring when the steelies are in and the kings are biting out in the salt ..

[This message has been edited by steelie67 (edited 01-04-2001).]

#105416 - 01/05/01 12:36 AM Re: Yakutat Info Please!
willhuntforfood Offline
Egg

Loc: ellensburg
Nice story and pictures Mike. About your story I think you should think twice about kicking the sleds off that river, theres only two aloud any ways and if you recall all those log jams you floated threw, not lifting your boat over. The guides cut them out not the Forest circus, and i am sure you didnt. Those two guides need to make a living and also live there year round so lets all just get along. I think you should be more concerned with how some of the lodges fludd the river with people, i have counted more than 30-40 lodge boats on that river in a day during steelhead in May.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike@home:
The Situk offers good fishing for Silvers in September. Most of the water feeding the Situk comes from Situk Lake, so if it rains, the river stays clear. The Yakutat Lodge is a dump, but any port in a storm. The Blue Heron offers nice rooms, they also offer boat rental and shuttle service. The brightest fish will be down low towards the rivers mouth. The river tends to be crowded at any time, especially at the take out. If you want to see some Situk photos check out: http://www.offc.org/stories/mich2

[This message has been edited by willhuntforfood (edited 01-04-2001).]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 1219 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |