THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105477 - 01/02/01 01:06 AM WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hooray for the 3 NW schools that went bowling! After watching the Rose and Fiesta Bowls today I would like to have a friendly debate over who should rank higher in the final polls; OSU or UW? ...
I have been watching the Beavs improve all season. I think they have become a monster! I would have been happier with less mistakes and more sportsmanship though. I think they were a little too jacked and left their 'awareness' somewhere else. I honestly believe the Beavs could beat Miami or Florida right now if they could cut the mistakes down. They beat Notre Dame 41 to 3 by the end of the 3rd quarter, when the starters sat down, despite setting a record for penalties. ...

I think OSU should rank ahead of UW. Their only loss was on the road up at Husky Stadium 33 to 30, after the kicker missed the tying field goal attempt. And that was well before they hit their stride and started manhandling teams. The ABC commentators said they believe the Beavs were playing the best ball in the west the second half of the season; the more important half. That's when they soundly beat the Ducks, who soundly beat the Dawgs. The X factor is the penalties; although I thought they got shafted by the referees on many bad calls (guess they were trying to help avoid the blowout for TV ratings?). ...

The Huskys played a fine game and showed more class to me, but I think the Beavers would beat them soundly on a neutral field right now. And the ratings should reflect that. ...

We'll see. What say you? Especially you Oly dudes ? I know Os has been a Beaver Believer since they beat UO for him. - RT

#105478 - 01/02/01 01:20 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I don't care who is rated higher, it was just great to see the NW schools put an old fashioned whoopin' on ND and Purdue!!!! All ya heard in the pre games was Drew Brees/Purdue this and Notre Dame that nuff' to make ya sick!!! Maybe they will get some national respect now. If ya want to talk rankings wait til after Wednesday, if Florida State beats OU, UW beat Miami and Miami beat FSU, so who should be #1 then?!?!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

------------------
Never enough fishin' and never enough tackle!!!

#105479 - 01/02/01 02:02 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I do not care what, when, how etc. the Huskies beat the Beavers...they beat the Beavers and thus should be ranked higher.

Now lets only pray for a FSU win and a Miami loss and let the debates begin. UW National Champions 2001 but their chances are small. One can hope though.

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special

#105480 - 01/02/01 02:04 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Cougars should always be ranked higher than any canines, fowl, or rodents!!!

#105481 - 01/02/01 04:30 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Jeff, I just e-mailed you a bit ago to put in your 2 cents worth on this subject, and you already did. Your take reminds of the age old question of why in the heck won't they have a needed, fair, and huge money making playoff system? Even the lower divisions do! I forget the excuses for why. Anyone know? I would guess that the Dawgs, 'Canes, and the rest of them would rather play against anyone but the Beavs at this point; unless it was for the championship.

#105482 - 01/02/01 09:35 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Ratings are based on what you did..not on what you might have done or what you could do. The Huskies and the Beavers have the same record and the Huskies won in the head-to-head meeting. Pretty simple stuff and the same reason that the Dawgs should be rated ahead of Miami.

#105483 - 01/02/01 09:58 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Oh RT ,keep reachin Dude,The Beavs almost tied the Dawgs ....almost
Purdue is a lot better than the Golden Domers ,so the debate continues,I wish OSU would have shown a little more class...but Oh well......I guess it's all kinda new to them
did the ducks win..oh ya never mind

Huskies ..2001 Rose Bowl Champions

#105484 - 01/02/01 10:46 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Getreel Truth, your logic kinda reminds me of the way the AP writers from the east coast and the mid-west look at college football. Tunnel vision would be a polite way of putting it.

#105485 - 01/02/01 12:19 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Steve,

You've had too much liquor. We're 11-1, you're 11-1. We beat you. Is there anything I missed? I say bring on the Beavs, and we'll beat them AGAIN. Would that convince you?

Fish on.......

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#105486 - 01/02/01 12:27 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Don't forget, the dogs beat Miami as well. If Miami wins, and Oklahoma loses in the upcoming games, I think the Huskies should have a shot at National Champs.

Bottom line, the dogs beat 3 top 20 squads this season (OSU, Miami, and Purdue) and their only loss was to another top 20 team (Oregon) on their field. The numbers say the dogs get the nod.

[This message has been edited by obsessed (edited 01-02-2001).]

#105487 - 01/02/01 12:32 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
With all the mental mistakes that OSU made last night how can you believe that they'll beat the Huskies right now? I'll admit, the Beavers have made tremendous strides since the beginning of the season. However, beating Eastern Washington 21-19 leaves plenty of room for improvement. Washington has also improved throughout the season. The blowout at the Apple Cup and a Rose Bowl victory legitimize this claim. Also, every QB has a bad game. Tuiasosopo had one versus the Ducks and Harrington had one against the Beavers. Both resulted in losses. Arguably this season's matchup between UW and OSU was a true test of both teams strengths. Both teams' offenses and defenses played well, negating the home field-advantage factor. UW prevailed by a slim margin, inticating how closely matched these two teams were at the time. Yet, this was prior to the set-in of overconfidence and the counterproductive cocky attitude of key OSU players. When this happened at UW with Anthony Vontoure, he lost his starting position. I have to admit I was embarrassed to be a fan of the Pac 10 last night as OSU players overshadowed their Fiesta Bowl win with their undisciplined and cocky behaviors. If I want to see that kind of play, I'd watch football on Sundays. Don't be surprised if the media nicknames this game "Catholics vs. Convicts II." OSU's ungracious victory brought back shades of the Hurricane teams of the late 80s-early 90s, but at least these Miami players had skills. One good season with a bunch of unheralded recruits and JuCo transfers does not constitute a winning tradition at all. I think Erickson has made a big mistake by fostering this attitude on his current team. The best recruits look to the Pacific Northwest as a place where they can develop as a player and as a person. The Curtis Williams saga is a prime example of how the Husky program treats its players and one of the best stories coming from the Pac 10 this season. Whereas the degradation of OSU's players' attitudes, due to the intoxication of winning, is one of the worst.

"Right now" UW will dominate OSU! They would control the ball and clock with their multiple-weapon rushing attack. UW's veteran and HUGE O-line will negate OSU's four-man front, requiring them to sacrifice pass coverage to pressure Tui. UW's young secondary have matured and will shut down OSU's big pass plays. Look what they did with Purdue's passing game, which is 2-3 times better than OSU. If UW plays OSU, right now, UW wins 37-28.

Peace Out...

#105488 - 01/02/01 02:01 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree big time about the lack of class, to put it mildly, of the OSU players. I am hopeful they will mature by next season and cut that cocky crap out! If they don't, I won't be much of a fan of the Beavs. Really unfortunate. ...

Another interesting aspect of human nature was on display within this thread; an inferance that rating the Husky's should take into account that their loss came AT Oregon (Obsession); yet you guys don't want to take into account that the Beavs lost by a missed fg AT Washington. How does that work? I can buy the arguments that the Dawgs can be rated one notch above the Beavs OK, but I would definitely bet a big wad with Ho that right now the Beavs would beat the Dawgs on a neutral field, worse than the Ducks pummeled them. ... Of course, we could all be wrong! That's why there needs to be a playoff system.

#105489 - 01/02/01 02:07 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
RT,
Who was that Oregon loss to??????? *L*

#105490 - 01/02/01 02:21 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

RT,they lost by 3 and almost tied the game,(the field goal was for the tie not the win)you can say what you want about about the duck game,but were coming back,
my God Man you guys get 2 winning sesons in row and now you national champs....not!!
The Dawgs would dominate the beavs...sorry

Notre Dame is sooo over rated...bottom line we beat you and Miami too.....

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{

#105491 - 01/02/01 03:48 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Let it go R.T.Dawg's #1 Pac-ten & Rose bowl
Champ's.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#105492 - 01/02/01 04:26 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

The numbers say the dawgs but my heart says the beaves....but only because I'm an OSU alum. Actually, I love both teams so I can't lose!

As has been mentioned already, it's just refreshing to have the NW part of the country kick some hind quarters on the rest of the country. Florida state? Miami?......pleaaaaaaase!

#105493 - 01/02/01 06:02 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
RT I'd definitely take that bet. In fact, to back up my argument that the Dawgs have improved more than the Beavers this season; I'd give you 3-1/2 points, which is greater than the margin of victory when UW beat OSU at home. Between two closely matched teams (no, ND did not belong last night) trash talking only fires up the other side. A prime example from Husky Lore would be Lambo's win against Miami at the Orange Bowl. The underdog Huskies, a team crippled by NCAA sanctions, convincingly beat an effusive 'Canes team. This game and many others in the annals of NCAA football prove that when cocky collegiate athletes open their mouths, all it does is stink up the air...

#105494 - 01/02/01 06:51 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Oh thats what that smell was

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{

#105495 - 01/02/01 09:03 PM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
The Beavers played E. Washington, New Mexico and San Diego State (all loosing teams) for their non-conference games while the Huskies played Idaho, Miami and Colorado (Miami and Colorado ranked in top 25 entering the season). Based on schedule and heads-up victory over the Beavs.....no question... Huskies on top there. Beavers definately got a great team though. NW teams ruled the weekend!

#105496 - 01/03/01 03:14 AM Re: WHO SHOULD RANK HIGER: BEAVS OR DAWGS?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Hohwaiian's post about the comparison's is probably one of the best post I have ever read, Great job!!
Go Dawgs
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1036 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |