Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105698 - 01/04/01 08:32 PM WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Yes, we're in the middle of steelhead season so why would anyone be thinking about the Wind? I'm writing an article about the Wind River fishery for a Northwest fishing magazine to be published in the "Springer" April/May issue. Deadlines are always very early for magazines.

Anyway, I'm very interested in talking with folks who brave this madhouse every year
either out in the armada or from the bank.

Last spring I was down there with Bob D. in one of the bigger boats on the water and I'm interested in talking with those of you who do it in driftboats and especially any of you out there in the prams and dinghies.

My email is available from my profile ( bgray@adobe.com ). Just drop me a line and I'll get in touch with you as soon as possible although it won't be on weekends. I'll be fishing.

Oh yeah, let me apologize now if I'll be giving away one of your secret places .

Hope to hear from you soon,
Bruce Gray

btw - Could be a HUGE run of springers throughout the Columbia system this year.

#105699 - 01/05/01 02:44 AM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
badmisterevil Offline
Fry

Loc: vancouver wa. u.s.a.
I haven't been there for a few years, but I was fishing out of a driftboat when I was there.

#105700 - 01/05/01 03:17 AM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
I havent fished for Wind river spring chinook before but in my estimation This fishery should not take place above the falls.
Last summer the Wind river recieved 150 summer steelhead. The last 6 years or so the numbers have been below 50.
With numbers this low its my opinion that noone should be fishing near these fish having 1 die from being hooked and released is a serious problem. Ever one of these fish that makes it to bonnieville should be allowed to spawn without any harassment from salmon fishermen. I think the fishery should be totally shut down and the fish moved from the carson fish hatchery to some other facility. The loss of this fishery is nothing compared to the loss of this all wild steelhead run.

#105701 - 01/05/01 03:48 AM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
FEAR NO FISH! Offline
Fry

Loc: Richland, WA.
I have fished the mouth of the Wind for the past 11 years. I have never seen a steelhead caught during Springer season. I have caught my share of the Springers though.
B.Gray, your request reminded me of a funny story that happened to a driftboater a few years back. Before the boundaries were increased in size, the traffic could get pretty tight. A guy with a green 16 foot driftboat was trolling the lineup. For some reason he backed off the throttle and bent over to work on something. Following his driftboat was a 22 foot alumaweld supervee. The two guys in the alumaweld never saw the driftboater. The sled rode up the back of the driftboat, knocked the cowling off of the kicker motor, and then the bow hit the driftboater square in the back of his head. Talk about getting a knobby. It took the driftboater about a half hour to recover. Then he was hotter then georgia asphalt.
Another time a guy in a huge nw jet was learning the intracacies of his new TR-1 trolling system. Between the high winds and the traffic congestion, he soon figured out that he didn't have a clue.
Another guy had a casket with an electric trolling motor that he drove while standing up. Torpedo alert,whoop whoop whoop! DIVE-DIVE-DIVE!
Hello Everyone, I'm new here.
BEST FISHES TO ALL!

------------------

FEAR NO FISH!

#105702 - 01/05/01 12:59 PM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Fear no fish,does it say that on your boat???
I beleive I've seen ya around the wind.Didn't you get a new boat with in the past couple years and a new old lady???
I remember seeing the green torpedo with an electric on it,sorry no thanks.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE " Welcome aboard"

#105703 - 01/05/01 01:29 PM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
FEAR NO FISH! Offline
Fry

Loc: Richland, WA.
Thanks Strikezone. Yep, it is the name of my boat. It is the landing craft by Harbercraft. I got the new lady on a trade in. She chews moccasins real well. We can't wait until Springer season. I have heard a rumor of possibly a 4 fish daily limit. That would be unbelievable. What boat are you in?

------------------

FEAR NO FISH!

#105704 - 01/05/01 02:35 PM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses I've gotten via email and also here on the board. I'll be in touch soon. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to fish this weekend since Forks is a wash.

Hey Fear No Fish, we may have talked to you last year out on the water. I was in my friend's 21' Tiderunner freighter.

Badmisterevil, I'd like to talk with you sometime about dealing with that nuthouse from a drifboat. Did you have a trolling motor or were you on the sticks? Drop me a line with your number at bgray@adobe.com if you care to and I'll get ahold of you next week.

Thanks again for your help,
Bruce

#105705 - 01/05/01 03:27 PM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Fear no fish,
I use to own the 16ft camo hews with the suzuki and honda kicker,I've run into ya several times out there.Last year I was in
my 18ft older style north river flat bottom sled with the suzuki and honda kicker.My sled says STRIKE ZONE on the transom.
I ask ya if ya got a new one and ya said the ex ended up with it.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#105706 - 01/06/01 01:29 AM Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/women
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Fear no Fish, what are the guys doing out there july-september??? Is that fall chinook??

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |