Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1059228 - 03/02/22 04:35 PM Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
03/02/2022

One-day smelt dip net fishery announced for Cowlitz River on March 5th

OLYMPIA – Anglers will have an opportunity to dip for smelt in 2022 during a limited-opening recreational fishery on Saturday, March 5.

A portion of the Cowlitz River will be open to recreational dip netting along the shore from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. for one day only.

“The fishery proved extremely popular in 2021, with thousands of dip-netters lining the Cowlitz River banks. Dip-netters caught an estimated 90,750 pounds of smelt in a single five-hour fishery opening last year,” said Laura Heironimus, WDFW’s Columbia River smelt lead.

The 2022 smelt run was predicted to be larger than the 2021 run and in-season monitoring data so far supports that increased forecast, allowing for a limited recreational dip-net fishery for the third year in a row. Commercial fishers first started catching smelt Feb. 18 and since then biologists have observed significant seal and sea lion and avian predator activity on the mainstem Columbia River. Smelt were first detected in the Cowlitz River on March 2.

The portion of the river open to dip netting extends from the Highway 432 Bridge upstream to the Al Helenberg Memorial Boat Ramp, located approximately 1,300 feet upstream from the Highway 411/A Street Bridge in Castle Rock.

Each dip-netter may retain up to 10 pounds of smelt per day, with no more than one day's limit in possession. Ten pounds is about a quarter of a 5-gallon bucket, but anglers are encouraged to bring their own scale for tracking. No fishing license is required to dip net for smelt in this limited fishery. All smelt caught must be retained up to the daily limit. Smelt may only be taken with a handheld dip net that may not exceed 36 inches across the bag frame with a maximum 5/8-inch stretch mesh size and must have a rigid handle.

All individual harvesters must use a separate container to hold their catch, and the container must be in the harvester's presence or identified with the harvester's name. It is unlawful to harvest smelt from a vessel.

Dip netters should be aware that river levels and flows on the Cowlitz River may still be very strong by this weekend, and dip netters are urged to exercise caution. Life jackets are also recommended, especially for children.

WDFW Enforcement officers will be out to help ensure public safety, as well as enforce the 10-pound limit, using a separate container and other regulations while the fishery is open.

Fishery managers will continue to monitor the run, as well as catch effort from Saturday’s fishery, to determine if the run could potentially support additional fishing days. Those openings will be announced via news release and on WDFW’s webpage.

Columbia River smelt – also known as Eulachon – were listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in 2010. Managers monitor the run to ensure there are enough fish to support harvest while staying within allowable ESA limits, including the use of commercial test fisheries to help gauge the strength of the run. The recreational fishery also serves as an important opportunity to collect biological data to further assess the run.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife works to preserve, protect, and perpetuate fish, wildlife and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1059248 - 03/05/22 07:50 PM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

3/05/2022

I didn't go, having balance problem, didn't feel that was a place for 81 year old, with balance condition.

If you went fill me in......was it a mad house zoo????? were the smelt there???

Edited by DrifterWA (03/05/22 07:59 PM)

#1059249 - 03/05/22 09:04 PM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Friend and his family went. Four limits. Started in one spot. Limit and a half. Moved to a second spot and got the rest of their fish.

#1059251 - 03/06/22 08:33 AM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

03/06/2022

At least they were able to move, and then complete limit

Thanks for answering....

Another resource that is showing, in general, a decrease.

#1059252 - 03/06/22 08:52 AM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Lots of fish. Some folks were getting 10-15 lbs or more in one dip

#1059253 - 03/06/22 09:56 AM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: cheapskate]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

03/06/2022

Originally Posted By: cheapskate
Lots of fish. Some folks were getting 10-15 lbs or more in one dip

Wow, like the old days........

Thanks for sharing that information

#1059256 - 03/06/22 06:32 PM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Wow! Imagine letting fisheries be instead of people ‘smarter’ than you you dictate your every move. My brothers in laws had the same success, they weren’t even carrying their cca cards.

#1059257 - 03/07/22 02:54 PM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
And once again, I post my annual rant about this fishery…..

(I also posted this on the IFish website)

I find it appalling that anyone can participate in this fishery without a Washington State fishing license. None is required.

This is unacceptable. If you’re going to participate in a State-sanctioned fishery, in any form, the State ought to require a fishing license. Even a one-day "smelt only" license ought to be required. But nooooooo. Not in this case.

And, given that Federal dollars are distributed to the States based on the number of licenses sold (fishing, hunting, shellfishing), the State of Washington is missing an opportunity to increase their take of Federal funds through the sale of additional fishing licenses.

As an added note, a directed fishery on an ESA listed fish ought not be allowed. I realize there are plenty of ESA listed salmon on the Columbia River, but there isn’t a direct fishery on ESA listed stocks. Salmon fisheries are limited by the level of incidental take. This is direct take. That ought not be allowed. But that’s another issue for another day.

Still, a fishery that is directed at an ESA-listed fish in which no license is required, and there is no enumeration (or limits) on the number of people participating in this fishing is an unacceptable way to manage this fishery. Or any other.

Rant over.

Edited by cohoangler (03/07/22 02:55 PM)

#1059259 - 03/07/22 07:57 PM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

03/07/2022

Cohoangler, I agree. I feel the same way about the "cheap clam license" for out of Washington persons. I've heard and read about all the $$$$$$$ it brings in for camping, restaurant meals, etc..... I don't see Oregon doing the same for us....What does WA State have the kind of money that we can "give to others"?????

WDFW wants, another $2.6 million for "whatever", its sure not because they are doing such a great job at what they pretend to do......

#1059260 - 03/07/22 08:01 PM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: DrifterWA]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I am in agreement, too. Cohoangler brings up a valid concern.

#1059261 - 03/08/22 07:01 AM Re: Smelt dip net fishery 3/05/2022 [Re: bushbear]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Hard to believe in this tax and spend state that a government agency would miss an opportunity generate revenue especially WDFW.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |