Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1059666 - 04/26/22 08:52 AM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Thanks to both of you for the fry plant info.
SF

#1059667 - 04/26/22 06:42 PM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Baker lake was producing fry for Lake Washington in the 80’s? Or were those native fish?

#1059668 - 04/26/22 07:43 PM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Baker eggs were planted, by the Feds, in the 30s (I believe) all over the state, including Lake WA. By the 60s that stocking had grown into a rather large run primarily spawning in the Cedar River with some also spawning in the lake itself. To my knowledge, Baker fish haven't been moved around since the Fed hatchery up there closed a long time ago.

The hatchery on the Cedar is using fish that return to the Cedar River. They aren't native to the system, but they are the wild fish that have evolved in the system for about 80-90 years. Which is long enough, as has been shown through research, to have diverged quite a bit genetically from Baker.

#1059669 - 04/28/22 08:18 AM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
04/28/2022

When I take a look at the historical counts at the Ballard Locks, it is really depressing to see the numbers, in general, decrease like they have.....

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports/counts/lake-washington#sockeye-annual

If you scroll down, the counts go back to 1972, many of the early numbers were 6 figure.

Has there been a active NT or tribal fishery since 2007 to 2020 ??????? NT net fishery in the salt water and Tribal above the locks.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1059670 - 04/28/22 08:28 AM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

The sockeye numbers are depressing because it has occurred in our memories and we have "data". All species of Pacific salmon and steelhead have shown a similar drop; we are functioning at 5-10% but because that happened "a long time ago" we pretty much discount those losses when we look at recovery.

In the 1970s WDF set escapement goals for PS Chinook. In the document they admitted that the goals would not utilize the available habitat. And, it wasn't reasonable to try to fill it. In another document the were describing the problems they had with achieving goals in some streams. The solution was to lower the goals, after which congratulations were spread around for hitting the goal.

But, we kept fishing.

#1059673 - 04/29/22 01:37 PM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: DrifterWA]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

There are no NT net fisheries that harvest Lake WA sockeye. There has not been a directed fishery on the run since 2006. The tribes do take a representative sample of fish from the ladder at the locks, use them for ceremonial food and WDFW samples them for thermal marks - otolith marks from incubation at the hatchery - for run reconstruction.

I should say no NT net fisheries that target Lake WA sockeye, I'm sure a handful get picked up when the U.S. Fraser fishery is going.

Edited by JustBecause (04/29/22 01:52 PM)

#1059674 - 04/29/22 01:53 PM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
04/29/2022

JustBecause:

Thanks for answering..... I don't follow all the NT fishing schedules, up that way, have more than enough to worry about in Grays Harbor and Willapa.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1059675 - 04/30/22 07:42 AM Re: Lake Washington Sockeye origin [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

Some LW sockeye are caught in the Fraser sockeye test fisheries. They arrive earlier than the bulk of Fraser stocks, generally with the Early Stuart component that is (was) generally unfished due to conservation concerns. In the 80s, the NI fishery for Fraser stocks was moved to Areas 7 and 7A (sport 7, the San Juans and north) so even when they fished the NI nets took very few LW sockeye. Tribal fisheries in the Straits would get some but in recent years Fraser sockeye has been in such a hole that few fisheries are occurring on them.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |