Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061034 - 11/23/22 11:47 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
For one year of adult returns on the Hoh there were age-2 and age-3 hatchery smolts that returned as adults. It looks like they were released as age-1 and hung around for a year or two before smolting. I know that a long time ago WDG was concerned about steelhead smolts residualizing but I think they only looked at if they stayed post-release and not if they finally smolted.

#1061042 - 11/24/22 06:17 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Double post but just making sure word is out.

This is the next netting schedule on the QIN site posted November 22 2022.

WK 48 Sunday Nov 20 pull Wednesday Nov. 23
WK 49 Sunday Nov 27 pull Wednesday Nov. 30
WK 50 Sunday Dec. 4 pull Wednesday Dec 7
WK 51 Sunday Dec. 11 pull Wednesday Dec 14

http://www.quinaultindiannation.com/Fishing%20Regs/chehalis%20commercial.pdf

#1061043 - 11/24/22 08:41 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Shall we assume that's primarily targeting late coho? Either way, if the QIN is fishing, we generally get to fish, too, so it looks like we will have at least a couple weeks in December... right?

#1061044 - 11/24/22 09:32 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Does any one believe that the state does not have the data yet to know whether or not they are going to shut it down? The only reason to wait to announce would be to keep the public outcry to after the fact. They can not answer any questions, refuse to explain why they made the decision, and then, even if they have no reason or it is done unfairly, the act has already take place. Oh, yeah, well sure the tribes kept fishing. Sure there were fish there. Maybe we should have left it open. Sorry. Nothing we can do now,

#1061051 - 11/26/22 10:59 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: Krijack]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Krijack
Does any one believe that the state does not have the data yet to know whether or not they are going to shut it down? The only reason to wait to announce would be to keep the public outcry to after the fact. They can not answer any questions, refuse to explain why they made the decision, and then, even if they have no reason or it is done unfairly, the act has already take place. Oh, yeah, well sure the tribes kept fishing. Sure there were fish there. Maybe we should have left it open. Sorry. Nothing we can do now,
this is so correct its not even funny.

#1061053 - 11/26/22 06:19 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I would not be surprised if there were not agreements in place pre-season to cover this. As it is now going down.

#1061054 - 11/26/22 07:02 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
11/26/2022

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I would not be surprised if there were not agreements in place pre-season to cover this. As it is now going down.

The person in Region 6, is not smart enough to have a agreement in place before "pre-season". He really needs to "leave decisions" on salmon and steelhead, go back to "cutthroat" which he claims to have some expertise????? Cutthroat, are also in a decline since the late 70's, in Region 6.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1061057 - 11/26/22 08:50 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

On CT I would tend to disagree. I was involved in CT research and management beginning in the 70s and at least through the 00s the anadromous component was increasing. Primarily, though, I was involved in PS so GH may have been different.

The agreements would have been made in NOF and R6 would simply be told what they were doing, Maybe.

#1061062 - 11/29/22 06:29 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
I’m sure many of you were tuned in to the virtual town hall last night. Feels like most of us were correct in our expectations regarding opportunity this winter.

I do like that we’re getting a partial December opportunity on the Satsop.

Was interesting to see there won’t be an opportunity on the Skookumchuck for the pile of hatchery fish that end up there, and it was refreshing to hear several callers professionally but sternly express their disappointment in that, especially given the data that an open season would provide.

Was also interesting to see the state and tribes differ on Queets/Clearwater and Quinault. If the margin of error on those rivers is as small as they’re expecting, I’m glad we aren’t allowing a season, especially given the number of days the nets will be in those rivers. Would be nice to see the nets pulled as well though.

#1061063 - 11/29/22 07:39 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

One of the interesting aspects of steelhead management is that it is 50:50 sharing in each river. In salmon, the NI side takes loads of fish (the desoreable Chinook and coho) in the ocean so getting less in the river makes legal sense. But for steelhead that fioesn't hold. So, if there are fish for one side, there must be fish for both. Unless WDFW agrees to not catch them so the Tribes can (non-selectively).

#1061064 - 11/29/22 08:58 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
Right, that’s what seems to be happening unless I’m misunderstanding things. Is this a case of the department and tribes both taking differing approaches to conservation based on their own biologists and modelers? (Basically the state modelers not feeling good about any impacts and the tribal modelers feeling okay about a certain number of impacts.)

Or is this the state “giving up” their incidental mortality impacts so that the tribe can continue to operate a fishery?

#1061065 - 11/29/22 09:59 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

(Or is this the state “giving up” their incidental mortality impacts so that the tribe can continue to operate a fishery?)

pretty much id say!! in region 6 the Quins run the show.. they speak and WDFW does what they are told to do!!

I'm sure we are getting the 16 days cause the Quins want to fish on the late coho. and wanted to make sure we are fishing same time so they didn't look bad.. otherwise we would not be fishing!!

mainly region 6

#1061066 - 11/29/22 10:42 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

If the tribes have season why wouldn't the recs have one if the system is able? Does'nt sound very scientific but does sound discriminatory to me? Lawsiuts? How do you use conservation as an argument? I didn't make the town hall, but correct me if I'm wrong. Queets tribal netting but no season? Even on the Salmon? Even if Dec and Jan only to target hatchery fish? There, the tribe has and will be guiding on all the spaces recs used to fish, including the park. That does'nt make much sense, unless it's a goal to get non tribal recs out to reduce space competition. I think the pecident was set last year when the Salmon was closed but tribal guides still fished. I think we recs are done there for good. Skookumchuck closed? Are you kidding me? That's almost 100% hatchery. I'm affraid other systems where tribal rights exist, are next on an agenda to get the recs off, and our WDFW is doing little to say no.

#1061067 - 11/29/22 11:05 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

I didn't make the town hall either. 16 days in December on the Satsop? Really? Your chances of catching a steelhead during that time is none. They won't be in there in numbers until late January thru March. Will coho still be open during those 16 days. Thanks WDFW for the "opportunity". Skook closed ? Any season on the Wynooche? What a joke.

#1061068 - 11/29/22 11:15 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Plenty of injustices for this upcoming season on the coast. I’m surprised there will be no season for hatchery fish on the Skookumchuck. As far as I’m concerned, the hatchery is providing only minimal/no opportunities for anglers, so maybe it should be shut down? It appears to only exist for the purpose of supplementing tribal harvest.

If the forecasted run size on the Queets suggest there should be no season for anglers, then there must not be enough of a margin to justify any fisheries of any sort. Why are there treaty fisheries for 36 days? This is irresponsible fishery resource management.

Streamer

#1061069 - 11/29/22 11:44 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The program on the Skook is mitigation; paid for the by dam operator. So, the state doesn't have "their" money involved. I suspect that the state does not oppose tribal non-selective fishing to strongly to stay out of court.

Too my mind, if the State were to "win" in that the Treaty Right is to only 50% then the Tribes would seriously challenge all selective fisheries and the State has used some questionable analyses in the past.

#1061071 - 11/29/22 06:47 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

There will be a lot of surplus hatchery steelies on the Nooch and Skook again winter. WDFW planted a lot of the excess steelies in the local lakes the last couple of years. That turned out to be a failure. The Satsop gets a lot smaller plant of winters than those two streams. The Hump winter plant are earlier returning fish than the the Nooch Skook and Satsop.

#1061074 - 11/30/22 10:15 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If the steelhead runs are on their last legs ecologically, then go ahead with regular fishing seasons subject to single barbless hook, artificial lures, wild steelhead release. By the concept of diminishing returns, anglers will decide when it's no longer worth the bother to spend a day fishing. Since the tribes are planning to fish, clearly there is no actual conservation concern.

#1061075 - 11/30/22 11:38 AM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

tomorrow is the 1st i haven't seen anything from WDFW on rules for the big 16 days

anybody seen them?

mainly region 6

#1061076 - 11/30/22 12:03 PM Re: Coastal Steelhead Town Hall [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Back when I was interviewing for jobs with WDF in salmon management one of the questions I was asked was what would I do if I (WDF) knew there was a conservation concern with a run/stock/species but the primary manager (in the case of the question it was Canada in relation to coho and chum) chose to overfish what would you recommend? The answer, at that time, was that if a run needs conservation you don't fish just because somebody else does.

Having said that, I don't think WDFW really believes there is a conservation concern. That is used as a cover argument to let the tribes fish as they wish.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |