Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Thanks Rivrguy!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1062516 - 09/15/23 06:32 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eddie]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Looking at the weather forecast the present pattern does not break until Sept 23rd & 24th. https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi This is at the end of NOAA's 10 day forecast so we will have to see what the updates have for us. The absolute minimum that I can see is it will bump the river now how much that is anyones guess. Sept 25th & 26th at present show somewhere around a 100 cfs rise but we don not have the days past the next 10 forecasted. The updates for the next few days should be interesting going forward.

#1062522 - 09/16/23 04:25 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

This was posted on Next Door today does anyone know what happened?

This morning a man passed out in his boat on the Chehalis in front of our home. The gentleman that was with him did cpr. Not sure if the man survived. Does anyone know what happened?

#1062523 - 09/17/23 01:21 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Forecast update 7th,8th,9th, and 10th the NOAA river forecast has a good size jump in flows to avaerage cfs. This is being driven by the Olympics streams areas getting 3 inches with Haywire Ridge station which is near the West Fork Satsop at 3.5 iches in the same time period. The upper Chehalis side is different in the same time frame just gatting around 1.25. The odd thing is looking at the river forecast for flows the Satsop does not jump as much as one would think with it going from around 200 cfs to around 300 cfs. Then on the Chehalis side with far less rain forecast at Porter it goes from 208 cfs to 572 cfs.

So as far as NOAA is concerned we are getting rain for sure. The updates the next few days should be interesting as on the Olympic side of things and event like this brings a brown out that comes and goes very rapidly. Broostocking we called it nature flushing her toilet as all the dust banks just everything is dry and loose so everything just pours into the streams making it look ugly. Usually it goes away just as fast but it is the next few days of the forecast that will tell us what is coming.

So this starts around Sept 24th and looks to be several days long ( how many to be decided ) and extended forecast for October is mostly dry and above normal temperatures. Inland guys got to love this bay and tidewater not so much.

The QIN will just love this forecast!

#1062524 - 09/17/23 02:20 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Yes, I know of the situation.

His name is Dennis, and our buddy Zack was fishing with him. They had just launched, motored out and started to fire up the main when he crumpled at the wheel.
Zack tried to flag down surrounding boats but nobody responded(luckily, in hindsight).

Zack did CPR and got the boat to one of the small docks on the opposite shore where an angler there saw what was going on and called 911, he also helped moor the boat so Zack could stay focused of CPR. The medics were able to come down the dock, get him off the boat onto a backboard and attached the automatic CPR strap then got him up to the ambulance.
Meanwhile I met with Zack at the launch, we trailered the boat and the cops busted into his truck for us, the rest of the day was spent connecting with his wife and family to get them in town.
He suffered a massive blood clot the bottom chamber or whatever of his heart, they were able to put a stint in a regain good flow, solving that issue. Since CPR was done so quickly and since advanced medical care arrived so soon after we are hopeful to him waking up, he is currently in recovery and we will know more in the next 72 hours.

I stopped to see him this morning and he was looking good as could be in the situation, his body is strong, we need prayers for the rest. His wife Karla is hanging in there but could also use all of our thoughts and prayers.

#1062525 - 09/17/23 02:43 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: On The Swing]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for the information and lets hope the worse is behind him. It sounds like a bunch of folks all played a part in turning tragedy to hope!

#1062527 - 09/18/23 08:24 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Duncan Dharkeez Offline
Alevin

Loc: Homeless
These kind of events really are sobering. He was lucky to have a friend that was capable and trained to help. What a good reminder on why it is so important for everyone to keep CPR skills up.

Just out of curiosity what is this Next Door? When I search for it I keep coming to some german movie. I think there might be a filter or security setting on the computers here at the Timberland Library.

#1062529 - 09/18/23 09:48 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Duncan Dharkeez]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

A BB similiar to PP but is for communities to post things up like lost pets need something giving away something that sort of thing. Nextdoor one word.

#1062530 - 09/18/23 05:42 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Weather forecast update and NOAA is staying with the rain. It is a six day event with the Olympics getting the most rain with Haywire Ridge at 5.5 inches. In the upper Chehalis not nearly as much rain with Doty at 1.72 in the same time period. It appears the 26th is going to be the wettest and right now NOAA has the storm tailing down 28th but still at one inch in the upper Satsop.

Flows on both upper Chehalis and Olympic side are supposed to triple by the 28th and they will just be some above normal average but are going to drop like a rock once the rain stops. So this storm is starting to shape up in the forecast, good for inland gonna suck bay and tidewater.

We used to call a rise like this time of year Mother Nature flushing her toilet. Lots of dust, loose dirt on banks, just plain crap is going to come down for a short brown out on the Satsop is my bet. This will not drag the fish from the ocean or shouldn't but anything in the bay and tidewater is going to move up and likely above the cut off lines inriver before October 1st. Sure hope I am wrong!

#1062533 - 09/20/23 02:11 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

A little update on things around tidewater. Going with the old rule of unknown locations mostly it has been terrible in tidewater catching that is. Remember two years ago when the darn fish followed your gear right to the boat? Well they are at it again and I swear they grin at you before dashing off! Now on the other side of things with crystal clear water and polarized glasses I have never seen this many jacks but they have lock jaw too following gear in two, threes, and one time four of the darn things all at once! So fishing is very spotty to say the least. Tons of jacks, some adults, and lock jaw in tidewater but if you know where to fish inland they are just killing the jacks and getting adults also. I really hate the lock jaw thing.

#1062535 - 09/20/23 08:56 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Trolled tidewater Sunday. 5 takes. A 10 & 5 lb. Coho. Released a 15# king. Lots of jack chasers. Anything going on in the So. channel?

#1062536 - 09/20/23 01:17 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Duncan Dharkeez Offline
Alevin

We're certainly in for some colder new water. I hope it will be more like a 600-800 cfs bump on the Sat that ends quickly. All depends on the 10 day + forecast. Perhaps enough to color the water but I am hoping it is not enough to bring the full chocolate on. That of course could be wrong if the full brunt of this inbound atmospheric river doesn't deviate.

The two forecasts clearly coorelate to a good event but I am not convinced we will see a full 800+ cfs jump, or I guess I should say I hope not.

Either way I'll be back out there to once again work towards my Silver Harvester Badge. I'll never forget the year that Swanny made the Platinum Club ... boy those were the days!

#1062537 - 09/20/23 06:26 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Duncan Dharkeez]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Haywire is forecast at 9.54 inches for the storm period and NOAA river forecast for both sides of the basin are not showing the peak flows yet in the 10 day forecast. I could be wrong but I think both sides are going to blow out. The upper Chehalis water drag 4 days behind the Satsop so it looks like Satsop will brown out and it will clear but then the upper Chehalis water will arrive and I got to believe it will be a brown out. So hoping I am wrong but the Chehalis fishery is going to get 7 or so days of muddy water if we are lucky. The Satsop always clears fast with this type of event but this guy is a rather large event for September. It will be the upper Chehalis water that determines just how long and just how ugly it is for Chehalis fisheries. If you do the Northwest River Forecast Center hit the 240 rain tab on the right side of your screen it shows the rain in inches. It is about to get wet and ugly!
https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

#1062538 - 09/20/23 06:35 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
steely slammer Online   content
Three Time Spawner

let it blow.. get fish up before the nets go in

mainly region 6

#1062540 - 09/21/23 09:02 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
9/21/2023

Chehalis just needs water.......not the Bay, not the river from 101 Bridge to South Monty but above there to Fuller Bridge/Satsop area, at low water in quite a few areas......no running even jet boats, more than a few "have sucked gravel", not at high water but if you aren't careful, drop of water to low.....oh oh, where'd that gravel bar come from..........

If ya listen in the middle of next week..... those Satsop fish will be grabbing a left out of the Chehalis and heading North, and no legal fishing until 10/01/2023, wow there could be a "xhit pot full of fish", in the Satsop or Chehalis above Fuller Hill...

Could be a ZOO, 10/01/2023.....Satsop and Chehalis above Fuller, might be muddy?????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1062541 - 09/22/23 03:54 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Well still watching the forecast and the amount of rainfall forecast is staying around the same just small changes day to day. So right now everything looks to have flows peaking around midnight the 30th. It looks like the rainy 8-day event starts on September 24th and 26th and 27th are the wettest days. The rainfall tails down for the following 5 days.

With the West Fork Satsop getting 9.5 inches in 8 days and nearly 2 inches each day the 26th and 27th let us just say we are going to get mud big time in the Middle Fork and West Forks Satsop. Matlock is supposed to get nearly 7 inches so we can expect the East Fork Satsop to go out but nothing like the other forks. What this all means is when the October first opening comes the Satsop will be muddy or clearing and Coho are likely to be above the cutoff line and hatchery Coho likely all the way to Bingham. All those Coho in the bay and tide water are going to be after burners on somewhere around the 28th! The good news is the river will drop fast and the fish will slow way down as the river clears and fishing should be good just less of them than we all hoped.

My best guess for the upper Chehalis is this rain is the best thing for fishing in a long time. The rainfall is much less with the same pattern and is forecast to peak around midnight on the 30th at Doty and the next day at Porter. The Coho are primarily in the bay and tidewater with more jacks than I can remember and most have not even got scales set. So upper basin guys this rain is going to bring you a bunch of bright Coho and they are going slow down on the drop. I think you lose a few days at the starting line October 1st but this going be about as good as it gets for inland fishers! Bit of a dream come true.

Going to stink in tidewater and the bay.

One last thing about the rain. How much is one thing but how fast it comes down is another. Two inches one day and two inches another is one thing as this is 48 hours in the foreast. It is something all together different if you get two inches at 8 PM to midnight one day and midnight to 4 AM the next day. Two days in the forecast but for the river it is 4 inches in 8 hours. So forecast are about 24 hours in a day but for the rivers it is not necessarily the same if your talking flows.

For October presently the forecast is for temperatures above normal but dropping as always in the fall and little rainfall until the end of the month.

#1062566 - 09/27/23 06:54 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Well we got a bump in flows but Olympic side was well below what was projected but East of the Satsop drainage got the rainfall. Upper Chehalis looks like more than forecast but not that much. So we should end up with below average flows on the drop but will be a huge improvement and much lower water temperatures. Some more rain would have been nice but what we got is not that bad.

#1062567 - 09/28/23 08:53 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Duncan Dharkeez Offline
Alevin

Fished yesterday between fuller and the nooch. They are starting to show up but not in large numbers. The end result of the storm
event was just as I suspected a sub 800 bump on the satsop and a much less significant impact on the upper watershed than predicted. If I can get my RVs door repaired, I might get back out there today or tomorrow but I ran out of tape so it is unlikely.

#1062568 - 09/28/23 05:27 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I recall working on traps was watching the res[ponse to freshets. One freshet we got a couple hundred coho which is a lot in a stream that hated 5 or 600. While we were passing them up an angler stopped by. He had been fishing down at the mouth and noted how they just blew by. I am sure Rivrguy saw lots of the same thing; on the stream every day shows a lot. Big flush of water and things slow down passage-wise.

Page 184 of 203 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 202 203 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1315 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |