LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106111 - 01/10/01 03:46 AM Lots of wild fish around for this time of year?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did anybody notice that there seemed to be a few more wild fish around early on this year? Or am I the only one.

It got tired of the slow fishing for the brats so I started fishing my wild fish spots the first week of December. Didnt expect to catch many fish but to my suprise they were in theese places in good numbers. Im not saying they were there like Feb and March but there were allot more than I expected.

Has anybody notticed the same thing. Im not gonna say it looks like a trend but rather a fluke. I havent seen this many wild fish around early on since the mid eightys.

#106112 - 01/10/01 12:27 PM Re: Lots of wild fish around for this time of year?
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I haven't been to the forks area for a month, but some friends of mine over there told me there has been a few of our wild buddies in the rivers already,but not in any great numbers yet. Heard of a 18# bad boy last weekend. here in my neck of the woods I've only got one small hen nate, still made a nice picture. Hopefully I'll be out in the next couple of weeks for some more photos. Good luck Rich, see you on the river.

[This message has been edited by FISHNBRAD (edited 01-10-2001).]

#106113 - 01/10/01 12:35 PM Re: Lots of wild fish around for this time of year?
The Real Spoonman Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
Hey Rich, you seem to be correct. I've had the opportunity to prowl around the OP alot more than normal (due to all the low water we've been experiencing)since October and yes, I've ran into a satisfying number of natives. No big fish, just beauties! Started finding them in late November/early Dec., primarily in the waters south of town.

#106114 - 01/10/01 12:52 PM Re: Lots of wild fish around for this time of year?
PGA Offline
Fry

Loc: Issaquah
I have seen lots of nates being caught on many rivers. I think these come from hatchery fish that have spawned in the rivers. That is why they have no "size" to them, and are returning at this time.

#106115 - 01/10/01 02:46 PM Re: Lots of wild fish around for this time of year?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Back in the good ole days, our rivers used to support strong returns of wild fish all winter. In general the March and April fish were the biggest of the year.

With the onslaught of hatcheries and the massive influx of fish, December and January became huge steelheading months. Along with the large amount of hatchery fish that were caught, were the majority of our early returning natives.

The native steelhead took it hard because they were much more aggresive than their hatchery counterparts.

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special

#106116 - 01/10/01 08:58 PM Re: Lots of wild fish around for this time of year?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Frankly ... it seems kind of like a repeat of the hatchery run so far (lots of brats ... relatively speaking for the date ... at the end of salmon season). There seemed to be decent numbers of nates around during the brat season, but save for a few banner days, I hardly see their numbers increasing right now in those places where they should be.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1405 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |