THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061199 - 12/09/22 12:09 PM Get paid to fish!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington?keywords=17244

Paste that into your browser. I can't get the full description to pop up. I'll try to figure that out.

Looks like steelhead fishing has gotten so bad in Washington that WDFW is going to hire people to go steelhead fishing. I was thinking about applying, but the hours might be longer some days than what I'm comfortable "working." Equipment and gear is provided, like a state truck, pontoon boat, waders, etc. Wonder if they will buy me flies or I have to provide my own?

Recreational Steelhead Test Fishing & Sampling - Scientific Technician 2 - 2 Non-Permanent-*17244-22
Salary
$2,957.00 - $3,821.00 Monthly
Multiple Locations - Western Washington, WA
Job Type
Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department
Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
Job Number
2022-17244
Closing
12/19/2022 11:59 PM Pacific

Description
Benefits
Questions

Description

Recreational Steelhead Test Fishing & Sampling - Scientific Technician 2 - 2 Non-Permanent-*17244-22 description image

TWO (2) OPENINGS 
FULL-TIME/NON-PERMANENT
RECREATIONAL STEELHEAD TEST FISHING & SAMPLING TECHNICIANS 
SCIENTIFIC TECHNICIAN 2 (ST2) 

Fish Program 
Forks, Washington - Clallam County - District 16 Streams 
Montesano, Washington - Grays Harbor County - District 17 Streams 

Anticipated Appointment Length: Three (3) Months 
January 2, 2023 - March 31, 2023

Perform advanced technical scientific duties, independently execute established and new sampling protocols and procedures in the sampling of coastal recreational steelhead fisheries! 

Provide the information necessary to estimate catch and effort statistics for recreational fisheries management, the assessment of biological information by stock, and the subsequent achievement of spawning escapements.
Two steelhead salmon swimming under water next to each other. Salmon are greenish gray in color with pin on their sides and dark small spots. One steelhead is bigger than the other.

Steelhead – Photo Credit: NOAA Fisheries 

With that in mind, 

Picture yourself hiking and floating streams to conduct recreational test fishing while using a variety of fishing methods (e.g., bobber, lure, jig, fly) to match the recreational salmon fishing fleet.  

This is an opportunity to collect biological data on steelhead catch to obtain stock composition (DNA), age structure (scales), length information (legal and sublegal proportions) and hatchery/natural-origin (mark-status) proportions.

You thrive on building collaboration and teamwork coordinate guided fishing trips, maintain a positive working relationship during fishing trips, and sample fish encountered.

We are seeking candidates with demonstrated values matching those of WDFW: Accountability, Service, Professionalism, Integrity, Respect, and Empathy (ASPIRE).

Duties

A fisher holding onto a large Winter Steelhead on the shore of a river bank. Fisher is holding the steelhead up to the camera - trees line the other side of the river.

Winter Steelhead 19 Pounds – Photo Credit: Brook Alongi

Our Recreational Steelhead Test Fishing & Sampling Technician,

Conducts test fishing and surveys in District 16 or District 17 streams for steelhead fisheries. 

Operate single-person pontoon boats and multi-person drift boats and rafts, including trailering, launching, docking, and navigating up to Class III whitewater in all types of weather conditions.
Hiking up to six (6) miles a day in streams and off trail to emulate shore anglers over rough and slippery terrain. 
Perform minor routine maintenance on the boats, trailer, and test fishing equipment. 
Operate GPS and electronic data collection devices.
Ensure data is accurately recorded, summarized, and if necessary uploaded to data base.
Work collaboratively with private guide boats to help ensure accurate emulation of guided fishery.

Conduct creel for recreational fisheries for steelhead to determine the catch per unit of effort and species composition to obtain valid sport catch estimates for steelhead and other freshwater species.

Sample for coded-wire tags (CWTs) for steelhead and biological data from steelhead and other species. 
Performs surveys to assess angling effort, counting angler vehicles and trailers at multiple, pre-determined river locations accessed by motor vehicles. 

WORKING CONDITIONS:

Work Setting, including hazards:
Work is primarily conducted in the field, in adverse weather and environmental conditions including noise, odors, repetitive movements of hands, finger manipulations, long periods of squatting and walking through vegetation and in uneven terrain in and near streams and rivers to obtain angler interviews. 
Climbing in and out of boats, sampling salmon and steelhead in boats, carrying, kneeling, frequently lifting heavy items (up to 40 lbs. unassisted) containers of fish and pontoon boats, working and standing in confined space, fish blood and slime, slippery surfaces, biting, and stinging insects, use of knives, transporting agency staff and equipment in agency vehicles. 
Driving and hiking to fishing areas or driving to creel locations via state, federal, and county roads, as well as local travel along streams on private (logging) roads throughout the district using a state vehicle. 
Hiking up to five (5) miles or boating up to ten (10) miles of stream over slippery and uneven terrain to reach anglers - boating may include navigating up to class III whitewater.
Schedule:
Typically, 8 to 10 hours per day, between 5:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. 
Work is performed all days during the week, including weekends and holidays with overtime required, as assigned.
Variable days with shifts up to 12 hours including early morning and late-night hours - highly unpredictable and irregular schedules at times to prosecute monitoring fisheries - for example, be available by phone to staff from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. to handle emerging situations and act as check-in at the end of the day.
Travel Requirements:
Traveling includes driving to the work site if the situation warrants it and driving during winter weather conditions - considerable driving is required via state, federal, and county roads, as well as local travel on private (logging) roads. 
Shuttle State vehicles between Forks, Montesano, and Olympia – may be required to use personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement.
Tools and Equipment:
Fishing rods and associated tackle, iPad, electronic sampling equipment (Coded Wire Tag (CWT) detector), knives, forceps, head lamp, measuring board, tally counter, totes/bins, paper forms, labels, scale cards, pencils, pens, clipboard, and scissors.
Copies of current recreational and commercial sampling manuals.
The following clothing is supplied: WDFW apparel, gloves, rain gear and rubber boots / waders / hip boots, and Personal Floatation Device (PFD) as needed - required to wear attire that identifies they represent WDFW with minimum being an agency hat.
Customer Interactions:
Interactions with co-workers from WDFW and co-managing Tribes, recreational anglers; interacts with the public during data collection, and provide basic information regarding fisheries resources, as well as agency programs and activities.
Provides sport fishing regulatory information to the public.
Includes possible contact with individuals who may be frustrated.
Provides a high level of customer service to anglers and the public.
Liaison to regional supervisor and enforcement on fishery violations observed in the field. 

Qualifications

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

Six (6) months or more experience safely operating non-motorized single-person pontoons, drift boats, and rafts in up to Class III whitewater.

AND

Six (6) months or more of recreational steelhead or salmon fishing experience in freshwater streams.

Certifications/Licenses: 

Valid Driver’s License.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

Graduation from high school or GED, including one (1) year of high school science AND four (4) years of experience as a Scientific Technician. 

OR 

Graduation from high school or GED including one (1) year of high school science AND four (4) years of laboratory or field experience as an assistant to a health or safety professional, biologist, chemist, or zoologist.

Please note: College course work involving major study in biology, zoology, fisheries, chemistry, natural sciences, or closely allied field will substitute, year for year, for experience, provided the course work includes at least six semester or nine quarter hours of natural science classes.

Experience: 

Twelve (12) months or more of recreational steelhead or salmon fishing experience in freshwater streams.
Twelve (12) months or more of experience safely operating non-motorized single-person pontoons boats, drift boats, or rafts in up to Class III whitewater.

Conducting creel surveys.
Working with members of the public.

Skills and abilities:

Excellent attention to detail and good communication skills.
Ability to identify saltwater and river stage adult salmonids to species.
Must be familiar with salmon life history and sport fishing regulations in freshwater streams on the Washington coast.

CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:

WDFW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. You will be required to provide proof of vaccination as part of the hiring process. Please do not upload your vaccination documentation with your application materials - your vaccination status will be verified by your supervisor before you will be allowed to work. Exemptions may be granted for religious or medical purposes.

Supplemental Information

Please note: Failure to follow the instructions below may lead to disqualification.

In order to successfully apply for this position, you MUST complete your profile at www.careers.wa.gov and attach the following to your profile before completing the online application:

A current resume. 
Three professional references. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: 

All new employees must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form) on their first day of work. If hired for this or any position at WDFW, you will be required to provide documentation proving you are eligible to work in the United States. For a list of acceptable documents, please use the following link: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents

JOIN THE WDFW TEAM:

Learn about our agency and the perks of working for WDFW!

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has some of the most talented people in the natural resource field. We celebrate and value diversity, appreciating that a workforce composed of those from different backgrounds and experiences creates an inclusive environment, strengthens positive relationships with the local community, and brings new perspectives and approaches to fulfilling the agency’s mission. We value demonstrated skill in living WDFW values of Accountability, Service, Professionalism, Integrity, Respect, and Empathy (ASPIRE).

WDFW employees may be eligible for the following:

Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth.

UNION - WAFWP:

This position is in the bargaining unit represented by the Washington Association of Fish & Wildlife Professionals and is subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington, Department of Fish & Wildlife, and the Washington Association of Fish & Wildlife Professionals.

Edited by Salmo g. (12/09/22 12:21 PM)

#1061201 - 12/09/22 02:02 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
GoPro Hero Offline
Smolt

Hell yeah bro thanks for letting us know about the opportunity. I wonder if it would be a conflict of interest if I could keep my go pro running for my YouTube channel. Bet I could get some good footage for some upcoming episodes and get some more followers for my channel.

#1061202 - 12/09/22 02:11 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
That's funny. When I started at WDG fishing was an expected part of the job. Use of an "individual sampler". High lakes, beaver ponds, streams.....Part of the job and expected.

#1061205 - 12/09/22 05:59 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I've participated in some fish studies at work. This was in support of our permitting process in the water program. Did fish identification and took pictures. Filled in as a supervisor on swing which bumped my pay.

I'm considering retirement in the next year or two.

#1061206 - 12/09/22 06:52 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/09/2022

WDFW has the people with all the answers.......I volunteer Losee and Cummingham, lets see if "they can walk the walk, after all the talk the talk", that they do ".

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1061207 - 12/09/22 07:07 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hell, I'm recently retired and physically able to participate for free! Have 40+ yrs of Steelhead drift boating & catching experience, on most, if not all the rivers in this state, which means squat. But, pontoon and drift boat available for free! Even have a BA and BS degree to boot for the education requirements. Sign me up for some local catch and release for science! I'm in. That's what it' s all coming to anyway. Either for science or pay to play period.

#1061208 - 12/09/22 08:38 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
FISH'N BRASS Offline
Parr

Loc: U. PLACE, WA
RG do it! Report back-why not-you would do us all a favor!

#1061209 - 12/10/22 08:08 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
If they’d let me use eggs and shrimp I’m in! If restricted to fly fishing only the results of the survey would most likely conclude that steelhead are now extinct. beathead

Edited by Get Bent (12/10/22 08:09 AM)

#1061212 - 12/10/22 10:26 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Get Bent]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Get Bent
If they’d let me use eggs and shrimp I’m in! If restricted to fly fishing only the results of the survey would most likely conclude that steelhead are now extinct. beathead

Lures, jigs, and flies; not restricted to fly fishing only. Just no bait. Probably single barbless hook too, but that shouldn't matter if you've caught a steelhead before. Go for it!

#1061213 - 12/11/22 10:00 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Goodness, if you can get on the Green, Puyallup, or maybe the Nisqually from Jan 15, thru the end of March, the fishing is to die for !

Apply, apply, and apply again...

Give me 6 siwashed barbless fat max spoons in hammered brass, and 6 more in the hammered chrome, and the Steelhead will beat a redd to get to your gear.

Monsters abound I tell ya...

#1061214 - 12/11/22 10:09 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Other than obtaining hatchery vs wild proportions over time, I wonder what valuable data are obtained by the fishing part of the job.

#1061215 - 12/11/22 10:31 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
another Huge waste of taxpayer dollars. pair up a department biologist with some volunteers with boats - Done !
Heck I would bet there are a few guides that would join in if the cause was to help gather information.
And you just saved a bunch of money. Genius. But of course that would mean the department would actually be working With the citizens who pay for their salary instead of fighting against them.
Not in this Tyrannical overlord state government we have now.

#1061216 - 12/11/22 11:52 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: darth baiter]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: darth baiter
Other than obtaining hatchery vs wild proportions over time, I wonder what valuable data are obtained by the fishing part of the job.

I don't know for sure, but I would think useful data might include CPUE for different gear and method types by river. Possibly some CNR survival rate info, as there has been some co-manager concern and disagreement conveyed previously. Might also include expanded spawning escapement surveys. WDFW doesn't have a whole lot of good quality data to go on for recreational fishing when negotiating with tribal co-managers.

#1061217 - 12/11/22 11:58 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: skyrise]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: skyrise
another Huge waste of taxpayer dollars. pair up a department biologist with some volunteers with boats - Done !
Heck I would bet there are a few guides that would join in if the cause was to help gather information.
And you just saved a bunch of money. Genius. But of course that would mean the department would actually be working With the citizens who pay for their salary instead of fighting against them.
Not in this Tyrannical overlord state government we have now.

I'd rather they "waste" tax dollars on this kind of effort than raising hatchery salmon for Canada or AK. You might bet on the utility of using guides and volunteers to collect data, but previous experience has demonstrated time and again that volunteers simply don't collect the kind of stratified random sampling that is necessary to obtain statistically useful results. And working with antagonists who think the Department is responsible for things outside the Department's control is never easy or satisfying.

#1061218 - 12/11/22 01:33 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
River Nutrients

You could also get age and genetic information. When I looked at age data for steelhead it varied over time. This was known as far back as Waddell Cr in CA. So, if all you look at is fish collected in the "early" fisheries you have no idea of the age co position of the run. Also, since it has been shown that repeat spawners appear to return at the same time as they did on the first trip you miss the later fish and you may underestimate the actual amount of repeats as the only segment sampled is the one that gets killed.

#1061219 - 12/11/22 05:10 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

that’s all nice/good but with a department that really doesn’t give a rats sss (right now anyway) and keeps it all behind closed doors anyway.
yea put that money in hatchery fish.

#1061220 - 12/11/22 05:37 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
River Nutrients

Put more money into producing more hatchery fish that you aren't allowed to fish for?

#1061221 - 12/12/22 11:37 AM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Carcassman]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Put more money into producing more hatchery fish that you aren't allowed to fish for?

Hmm, possibly a little gaslighting here ?

#1061236 - 12/13/22 04:35 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

nope just another frustrated angler in a long line of frustrated anglers.

#1061269 - 12/18/22 11:37 PM Re: Get paid to fish! [Re: Salmo g.]
32mm Offline
Fry

Loc: Raymond
This test fishery looks to be a total waste of money. I heard from some folks that are close to the Region 6 staff that work under James Losee is that he hasn't even put together a study design or developed an analysis of what kind of questions they are trying to answer or how they will use the data. Instead he thought this would be a good idea, went out to hire these anglers and now will figure out what they want to do with the data. I don't know if that is true, but if so, it seems like ass backwards way to approach things. I'm no scientist, so if someone else has thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

I wonder if the money used for this program could have been spent instead to creel and monitor the Skook or Nooch or Satsop. I sure thought at those town halls they were talking about opening those rivers up and bringing in some extra creel staff so we could catch the damn fish we pay for.

But instead they want to go pay guides to float WDFW staff down the river.

Another notch in the belt of incompetent management we get in Region 6 under the Losee regime.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |