Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061222 - 12/12/22 12:35 PM chehalis river
steely slammer Online   content
Three Time Spawner

https://pnwbestlife.com/chehalis-river-winter-steelhead.../
#steelhead #fishing #pnwbestlife

found this on face book.. hope it opens.

mainly region 6

#1061223 - 12/12/22 04:26 PM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

If anyone thinks 70 wild steelhead were caught in an entire year of fishing on the chehalis they're not holding all the cards. The last year we could fish but not from boats we floated the satsop and landed a dozen or so wild fish in the float. No doubt they get under reported because no one is tagging wild steelhead on the catch card. the only way it makes it on there is by a fish checker that is NEVER there.

Edited by eswan (12/12/22 04:27 PM)

#1061224 - 12/12/22 06:24 PM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
Yeah I was curious where the author of this got his impact numbers.

#1061225 - 12/13/22 07:50 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
This thread represents one of the major problems faced by a manager. Data. All of our catch data quality rests on the honesty of the catcher. Where it was caught, when it was caught, H or W, and so om. If fish, or any other resource, are mis/non reported there is little that the manager can do about it.

Sure, if you don't report accurately you take more (in the short term), you can get your "share", and so on. Short-term gains. It also means that all those models that are so regularly bashed here are populated with poor information.

And, as a disclaimer, in my years of managing I was aware of issues within all user groups; they all did/do it.

#1061226 - 12/13/22 10:06 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

CM, I think a lot of rec fishermen are "between a rock and a hard place" when it comes to reporting catching wild steelhead. If they are catching and releasing wild fish and reporting them then WDFW will assume a certain amount of mortality of these fish. if the recs do not report catching wild fish (if they catch them) then WDFW will say that the wild run is low. Whether they report catching wild fish or not they think they are cutting their own throats and their fishing opportunities are cut or reduced. Just a thought.

#1061227 - 12/13/22 10:10 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: Carcassman]
20 Gage Online   content
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
This thread represents one of the major problems faced by a manager.

Sure, if you don't report accurately you take more (in the short term), you can get your "share", and so on. Short-term gains. It also means that all those models that are so regularly bashed here are populated with poor information.

And, as a disclaimer, in my years of managing I was aware of issues within all user groups; they all did/do it.

And the reel reason for these reported inaccuracies ? - The folks that were required to report / punch catches , did not in fact trust what the management required catch data would be used for. And in actuality, they may have been right in their miss trust.....

#1061228 - 12/13/22 10:23 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/13/2022

QIN catch on the Chehalis, wish the total steelhead would include number of hatchery and wild.......that should be a requirement!!!!!!

I'm tired of hearing "a fish is a fish" on tribal side and on sports side its "release all wild steelhead" grrrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1061229 - 12/13/22 10:44 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
River Nutrients

Did nit trust what, specifically? The manager was required to meet the spawning objectives and catch division. How does having poorer numbers advance this?

I know that the level of trust was low. I knew fish checkers who were asked how many fish they had checked that day. When told, the questioner said "no, you haven't".

#1061230 - 12/13/22 11:20 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Suspicion and or uncertainty about hatchery vs wild encounters obtained from creel interviews is likely a key reason behind hiring of "fish catchers" by the State. Of course, there are those that won't believe the fish catchers data either; the State just makes all the numbers up to screw the sportsmen.

#1061231 - 12/13/22 11:53 AM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
PNWBestLife Offline
Fry

Loc: Puget Sound Area
Just to add some clarity since I'm the author of the linked page:

1. The numbers all come from the WDFW report titled "Stock Status and Harvest Management Plan For Steelhead Returning to the Chehalis River In the Winter of 2021-22"

2. It's not clear to me whether wild caught from sport fisherman is caught / kept vs encountered...I assumed in the article that these "wild caught steelhead" were illegally bonked fish not "encounters" as that would seem an impossible number as some have pointed out here.

3. The hypothetical December lower only scenario in the article uses estimated run sizes between hatchery and wild fish, and hatchery catch data to estimate "encounters". Because these are in-basin hatchery stocks and return timing is assumed to be the same, over time the ratio of encounters should match the ratio of run size...and we know the amount of hatchery steelhead caught, so it's a simple cross-multiply operation to get the number of wild encounters...

Hope this adds clarity. Thanks for the feedback on the article!

#1061232 - 12/13/22 01:22 PM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
River Nutrients

We (WDFW) actually know that even for in-basin stocks that hatchery fish released as age-1 smolts return before the wild fish that smolts as age-2. Well, in truth, what they have is the actual data; whether it has been examined and analyzed or not is the question.

#1061233 - 12/13/22 01:48 PM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
PNWBestLife Offline
Fry

Direct quote from the WDFW report I'm citing is "The combined hatchery stock run timing is currently similar to wild stock."

If hatchery steelhead return earlier it makes the adopted regulations even more indefensible.

I'm trying to be as fair and accurate to the WDFW as I can, and I'm assuming they would want that report to speak for their position on run timing...

#1061234 - 12/13/22 03:52 PM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
River Nutrients

"similar" Needs better definition. The earliness depended on stock and I would need to look. But, since the don't have (to my knowledge) a site in the watershed where they trap 100% of the steelhead that return, where they age 100% of the steelhead that return I don't believe they can say diddle e squat about timing. This difference in age vs return timing has been known since Waddell Creek in CA.

#1061235 - 12/13/22 04:00 PM Re: chehalis river [Re: steely slammer]
PNWBestLife Offline
Fry

Which is fine...I'm not a biologist (though a bio has reviewed my assumptions). I'm happy to use WDFW's assumptions. It doesn't change the narrative or the open questions that remain...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |