Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061843 - 05/05/23 12:31 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: Streamer]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Streamer
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

I was supportive of McKenna until he put on the tea-party hat.

This here is the problem. Why does it matter what political hat one is wearing? McKenna was one of the more reasonable candidates for governor this state has seen in a while. But people in these parts are so fixated on party that they will pick a worse candidate they probably like less as long is the person aligns with their “team”. Does anyone here truly think Inslee has done a better job in office than McKenna would have? From my perspective, the quality of life in Washington has declined in a variety of metrics during his tenure.

As far as who would be better in the long run for salmon, fishing and hunting it is hard to say, but I’m inclined to believe McKenna would be better for sportsmen and opportunity.

Ferguson is terrible and even worse than Inslee. My fear is he will be our next governor because he is a (D) and some people can’t fathom the idea of voting for an (R) even if they are a considerably better candidate.

Streamer

For many voters, yes, political party does matter. But I think a lot more care about positions on issues. And I think that is where McKenna lost. Anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage is never gonna' fly in mostly liberal WA state even if fiscal conservatism were the next priority. Those were deal breakers for me, and I don't even have a dog in the abortion or gay fights.

Regarding hunting and fishing, I don't think either Party much cares. The hook and bullet fraternity is just too small of a niche interest to matter in the larger scope of state politics. Both will give high quality lip service to the subject and then deliver nothing after being elected. Unless hunting and fishing dole out a hella' lotta' cash to the campiagn, that is.

I don't think any reasonable argument exists that McKenna isn't more highly skilled than either Inslee or Ferguson, but no R can win if they are in the anti-abortion and anti-gay rights camp. It's been that way in WA for at least the last 70 years.

#1061844 - 05/05/23 12:34 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: fish4brains]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Whoever has a plan to clean up the homeless drug vagrant camps and to allow the poiice to do their jobs properly gets my vote.

That would more likely than not be a R candidate. And McKenna was probably the best in WA in decades, and we - and he - saw what happened. So then the Rs ran a true nut job like Culp last time. It's hard if not next to impossible to get a qualified R candidate to run in WA.

#1061847 - 05/05/23 08:35 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Déjà vu the Darkside has returned.

#1061848 - 05/06/23 09:01 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: Salmo g.]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Originally Posted By: Streamer

I was supportive of McKenna until he put on the tea-party hat.

This here is the problem. Why does it matter what political hat one is wearing? McKenna was one of the more reasonable candidates for governor this state has seen in a while. But people in these parts are so fixated on party that they will pick a worse candidate they probably like less as long is the person aligns with their “team”. Does anyone here truly think Inslee has done a better job in office than McKenna would have? From my perspective, the quality of life in Washington has declined in a variety of metrics during his tenure.

As far as who would be better in the long run for salmon, fishing and hunting it is hard to say, but I’m inclined to believe McKenna would be better for sportsmen and opportunity.

Ferguson is terrible and even worse than Inslee. My fear is he will be our next governor because he is a (D) and some people can’t fathom the idea of voting for an (R) even if they are a considerably better candidate.

Streamer

For many voters, yes, political party does matter. But I think a lot more care about positions on issues. And I think that is where McKenna lost. Anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage is never gonna' fly in mostly liberal WA state even if fiscal conservatism were the next priority. Those were deal breakers for me, and I don't even have a dog in the abortion or gay fights.

Regarding hunting and fishing, I don't think either Party much cares. The hook and bullet fraternity is just too small of a niche interest to matter in the larger scope of state politics. Both will give high quality lip service to the subject and then deliver nothing after being elected. Unless hunting and fishing dole out a hella' lotta' cash to the campiagn, that is.

I don't think any reasonable argument exists that McKenna isn't more highly skilled than either Inslee or Ferguson, but no R can win if they are in the anti-abortion and anti-gay rights camp. It's been that way in WA for at least the last 70 years.

I would agree with this for the most part. What is interesting to me is how much value people put on social issues that mostly do not impact them personally. The majority of Washingtonians are neither gay nor seeking abortions. One would think the other issues are more important and would be the deciding factors. As for CM, I doubt he is either gay or seeking an abortion. I’d be interested in hearing his justification for his decision.

Streamer

#1061849 - 05/06/23 09:35 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Which decision? I wanted to support McKenna because he seemed, before going far-right, to support social choice and fiscal constraint. As do I.

WA, in my mind, is in a fiscal mess. How much do we spend on hatcheries, habitat, education, homelessness, infrastructure, mental health, and so on? To what end? What has that money accomplished? I don't mind growing money at something, if it works. And if continued expenditures are tied to success.

The left generally appears to no support accountability but for me, meeting the big social issues trumps that. I am searching for that "middle-person" but don't see forcing people into closets or backstreet abortions as a viable alternative.

#1061850 - 05/06/23 11:13 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
20 Gage Online   content
Returning Adult

So then the Rs ran a true nut job like Culp last time.

Say the folks that actually put forth & voted for the dumbest nut job of a governor that has spent and wasted more money and time making the most serious issues of this state worse than they were before he came to power...

The dems in this state own all of this fiasco.

#1061851 - 05/06/23 07:18 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: Carcassman]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Which decision? I wanted to support McKenna because he seemed, before going far-right, to support social choice and fiscal constraint. As do I.

The decision to not vote for/support McKenna. Also, how is it “far right” to believe in traditionalism when it comes to marriage, family values, and personal responsibility? That seems more level headed, reasonable and rationale than supporting post modernism and “freedom” to mutilate one’s own body to kill a child that isn’t wanted or undergone transition surgeries, especially for minors.

It raises serious ethical questions that the political left and the medical field both refuse to address. There is improper informed consent both with abortions and with sex transition surgeries. The UK is realizing this and there are many lawsuits around this.

Again, it strikes me as bizarre that given the current state of affairs in Washington, like you said, with its severely poor fiscal, educational, mental health, homeless, infrastructure policies that “the big social issues” that aren’t really “big social issues” are more important to you when you are neither gay, nor seeking abortions to begin with. The former issues affect you to a considerably higher degree.

Does this make sense to you?

Streamer

#1061852 - 05/06/23 08:40 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I didn't vote for him. I wanted to until he went too far in my mind. In the US I grew up in and was educated in (including 8 years in parochial schools) I was taught that my rights did not allow me to tell others how to live.

My religion, and my beliefs within it, are mine. Not yours. I can't tell you how to live so long as you allow me, or others, to live our lives.

You are correct that WA's lac of success is a big problem. It will only be solved when society, from the bottom up, makes its representatives accountable for results. Always voting "no" or "yes" is not accountability.

#1061853 - 05/06/23 10:14 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

Since this is actually a fishing site I am going to make a comment about choices for the next governor of WA. As far as fishing is concerned in this state does it really matter who the next governor is or what party he/she is? The tribe(s) in this state will buy him/her off with money for their campaigns. They have done it before and will continue to do it.

#1061854 - 05/07/23 07:58 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

hI think you hit that nail on the head, Lifter. I also think BC is wandering down that same path.

#1061855 - 05/07/23 08:49 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: Lifter99]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Lifter99
Since this is actually a fishing site I am going to make a comment about choices for the next governor of WA. As far as fishing is concerned in this state does it really matter who the next governor is or what party he/she is? The tribe(s) in this state will buy him/her off with money for their campaigns. They have done it before and will continue to do it.

With regard to fishing, I agree that it doesn't matter who or which party the next governor is from. Fishing is too small of an issue to matter to any candidate. Unless, like I posted above, fishing interests drown a candidate with campaign donations. Money can make it matter, but that's about the only way.

#1061856 - 05/07/23 09:31 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

yes Lifter u hit right on the head..$$$$ is what talks

mainly region 6

#1061872 - 05/11/23 07:04 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: SpoonFed]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: SpoonFed
5/04/2023

passing a high capacity magazine ban last year should have been enough. So now my pistol and an ar or ak hold the same amount of ammo, so they do the same amount of damage. logical right?

[/quote]

So...exactly what kind of damage are you looking to do?

Edited by _WW_ (05/11/23 07:05 AM)

#1061874 - 05/11/23 07:39 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: _WW_]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: _WW_
Originally Posted By: SpoonFed
5/04/2023

passing a high capacity magazine ban last year should have been enough. So now my pistol and an ar or ak hold the same amount of ammo, so they do the same amount of damage. logical right?

So...exactly what kind of damage are you looking to do?[/quote]

none. Just simply stating that because of a ban on high capacity magazines, which pretty much made all firearms equal (as far as capacity and excluding Revolvers), there should have been no unconstitutional ban on certain types of rifles. Last I checked, most shootings in this state happen with stolen pistols. Confused still?

#1061875 - 05/11/23 11:22 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: SpoonFed]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

So...you want the guy that shoots you to have a high capacity magazine so he do more damage. Got it.

#1061876 - 05/11/23 12:15 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I believe what he is saying is that legally, an assault rifle can not have high capacity, so why out law them. They have no more destructive power, under the law, then any other gun. Those who ignore the high capacity magazines are not likely to obey the ban. The argument makes sense, except that just as easily it can be stated that one you have the gun you can easily exchange chambers. Someone could more easily hide the magazine and legally possess and transport the high capacity gun, switching out the magazine at the last moment. I am not arguing a side, just noting that if you want to restrict the ability to have a high capacity option, the ban on guns may make be a logically move. Personally I think that with millions of the so called assault rifles out in the public, moves making things illegal will have little effect. People just want to do something, even if it makes no difference. Much like the legislator who wants to up the penalty for people who commit mass shootings. Really, like the fact that most are suicidal and the penalty is almost always going to be life with no parole or the death penalty?

#1061877 - 05/11/23 12:27 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: _WW_]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: _WW_
So...you want the guy that shoots you to have a high capacity magazine so he do more damage. Got it.
you still aren't understanding. Let me make it more clear. As of last year a pistol or rifle bought in Washington cannot include a magazine with the capacity exceeding 10 rounds. Youare also not able to buy the high cap. magazines here. So, in theory, a pistol and rifle will do the same exact thing. And when most of the shootings happen in this state are done with pistols, there was absolutely no reason to infringe on our second amendment right by outlawing certain makes of rifles. I hope this helps ww. "he do more damage". Hes aren't the only ones that can use firearms. Then when you cant control crime in your major cities, you decide to step on our rights. Right on time. That's what this about.

#1061878 - 05/11/23 01:21 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

I am going to say on more thing. That our nation is so great because we do have constitutional freedom and liberties. Other countries either admire or hate us for it. Without those freedoms we become more like the ones that hate. spoon out

#1061902 - 05/20/23 06:27 AM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I don't understand the need for more than 10 rounds. But if you need more I suppose you could buy more clips. I have one extra clip for my '06, (which I have never had to use) and zero clips for my .50 caliber black powder.

#1061915 - 05/21/23 12:47 PM Re: Jay Inslee is out [Re: RUNnGUN]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
What I don't want is a people telling me what I should or shouldn't have or what makes sense, I can make up my own mind. Magazine and rifle bans aren't going to prevent mass shootings any more than the war on drugs has reduced crime and addiction.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645294 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |