Went down to central Oregon to chase some sheep and pigs on a ranch. Long, but scenic, drive. My hope was to get a near full-curl ram and an eater pig. First one we found was the ram.
When first seen he was bedded and facing us but the sun was not only at his back but right in the scope. We circled around until we got a nice look broadside. I was using my .243 and the shot was impressive. I think the bullet hit some shoulder bone going in and exited the other side, after blowing up that shoulder, in two pieces. There is not a whole heck of a lot of meat on one of those guys before blowing holes in them. But nice horns that will make a good skull mount.
Then went looking for a pig. I was looking for a smaller (200 lbs on the hoof) but all we found were bigger (250, 350). I chose the smaller. Guide said to do a head shot, behind the ear (they do have big heads) so I tried. The bullet went through the neck, at the back of the skull but high. Gave her a huge headache but not much else. We followed her until she separated from the other sow and showed broadside. A shot to the lungs anchored her.
It did seem, and it may have been because of where I hit, that the .243 kind of overkilled the sheep. It did not go through the pig but did drop it so I am thinking it was on the small side for her.
But, the butcher now has some work to do; early next week we should start chowing down on them.