Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106445 - 01/15/01 09:40 AM Wild Steelhead for sale
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Went passed the Farmers Market on Collage ST in Lacy yesterday. The sign was advertising wild steelhead for $2.98.per lb. Just another place to stay away from.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 01-15-2001).]

#106446 - 01/15/01 01:45 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
Staying away would be too kind. We should "picket" the market, or at the least, flood the manager with phone calls objecting to their selling wild game fish! This has worked at other places in the past.

#106447 - 01/15/01 02:12 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
Right with you, Scaly.
But I had no idea phone calls would work.
All any businessman really understands is profit & loss. If they cant sell the product they've purchased, it takes 4 or 5 dollars of profit to regain the cost of the product, on wasted or lost inventory; (spoiled fish).
Somehow convincing the public not to buy wild steelhead at the market would be a good thing, but so many merchants will actually welcome the notoriety of pickets, as it's free advertising.
How do you get around that?

#106448 - 01/15/01 02:37 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I noticed that they're selling steelhead at Matthew's Thriftway on Cougar Mountain in Issaquah, too.

They didn't specify "wild" or not, but there's only one place to buy steelhead, and those nets are catching a lot of nates right now.

Perhaps the WSC should consider, when the organization is up and running, having a letter that gets sent to retailers, along with a list of those who don't respond favorably.

The nastiest letter in the world won't get one percent of the response that a loss of sales would.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#106449 - 01/15/01 02:46 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
Nearly every store I go into, I check the fish counter.(The smell reminds me of my ex wife).
All the steelhead & salmon I've seen have adipose fins intact, and that leads me to think they're selling ranched fish. Maybe I'm incorrect, and they're all natives. If there were a few clipped fish, you could be certain they are netted.
If I was sure of the status, Id raise a little hell with the meat dep't manager.

#106450 - 01/15/01 03:09 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
has any one ever seen a adipose fin cliped in the stores, mainly its eather nates or farm raisen, don't know that they bother with the hatchery fish do they ?

#106451 - 01/15/01 04:04 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Todd,
I've seen "steelhead" for sale at the local QFC that were obviously pen-raised rainbows (short and fat) but they were described as such, i.e. "pen-raised steelhead". Gawd, I can't imagine what they'd taste like. I haven't seen many fish in the markets with clipped adipose fins, but then I don't think that very many of the fish sold locally are locally caught. Are Alaskan hatchery fish fin-clipped or do hatchery fish form a significant portion of the Alaskan catch?

#106452 - 01/15/01 04:23 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pacific Beach, WA, USA
Just some info, the Quinault Enterprise (fish house) sells steelhead. Although they are marketed as "wild steelhead" they are a mixture of mostly hatchery and some wild. They use the term "wild" because they are not "farmed" fish. There is about a 10 to 15 percent adipose clip rate on the hatchery fish.

[This message has been edited by potter (edited 01-15-2001).]

#106453 - 01/15/01 09:12 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
I have not been by the College St Mkt, but will do so in the next couple days.
I agree with Scaly, picketing would be a better way to prove a point and get the message out. I would be willing to picket if we could get a few people organized.

Here is something I noticed the other day. I saw a white truck (?Ford?) with a (?gill?) net in the back. On the doors it had a sign that read, "C & H Classic Smoked Fish, Specializing in Wild Salmon".

Anyone know anything about this outfit? Are they purely a smokehouse? If so, why the net?. Are they netting and smoking wild fish?

------------------
"Just Say No To Sovereign Nations!"

#106455 - 01/16/01 12:10 AM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
Dee is absolutely right. We wouldn't want to start off with our foot-in-mouth! The Port Hadlock QFC advertised "steelhead" last year. Fortunately we asked the staff and they assured us they were farmed fish, I think from Idaho. Good idea from Todd, too, above.

#106456 - 01/16/01 01:44 AM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
fava Offline
Fry

Hello! Time to wake up guys. Any one who has seen an ocean raised steelhead, either a native or hatchery origin, can easily tell it from a net pen raised fish. Go to Pike Place Market for gods sake and you will see piles, literally, of fish netted from your favorite Penisula rivers. Look closely and you will see some with adipose fins clipped, but you will also see many with all fins intact. The nets can't tell the difference. Write them a letter, picket, whatever, it is time to make something happen. Pacific Seafood in Muliteo has a special on Hoh river steelhead as we speak, so yes this is really happening. You should also know that in order to sell 'wild' gill net caught steelhead, you must have a special permit from the fish and game dept.
Save our wild fish!

#106457 - 01/16/01 08:59 AM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
that guy Offline
Fry

Loc: lacey
i went in the colege farmers market and had a chat with the guy. the fish came from the queets, quinault, and the chehalis. these are wild and hatchery fish. he tried to sell me some and i told him that i do not support the netting of our rivers, and that i wish they were pen rasied fish instead. and i said i was not thrilled about the price being so cheap and that they must be getting plenty of steely for it to be so low and that sucks. if there is a demand ther will be someone to supply it.

#106458 - 01/16/01 10:07 AM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
Was down on the lower river yesterday and saw a picup truck with three guys complete with tar heel accents buying fresh native steelhead from a gillnetter that caught the fish right there at the richwine bar. Lets see what is wrong with this picture Drift netting out of jet sleds all day long drift after drift catching only one or two fish per drift dozens of plunkers on the bars with no fish except the ones that they "Gladly" purchae for cash from their local gillnetter good buddy. Did I mention the set nets out in the surf at the mouth of the river. Looks like pretty intense competition Not at all unlike there non native counterparts who are also constantly trying to come up with a bigger better new age piece of gear or equipment to hurry out and get that last one.

#106459 - 01/16/01 01:03 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
fava Offline
Fry

Bottom line is, the nets can not choose which fish they kill. Sure the sport fisherman are having impact, but at least there is a large and growing component that supports the release of all wild fish. At this point, until the natives come up with a harvest method that can support the safe release of endangered fish, I fear this battle will simply become more heated. When in reality we should be working together to save these fish.
Save our wild fish!

#106460 - 01/16/01 01:41 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
If the Game Dept. issues permits for the resale of wild fish, then they probably keep a list of whom they issue permits to. Its a guess, but I bet that list falls under the public information law and can be legally aquired rather easily. This would be a great starting point for the WSC.

Start an information campaign that is of positive nature to the people selling the fish and cut the demand for it as fast and as much as possible. Those that choose to continue to sell after this campaign will have to be dealt with in a more unfavorable public forum, ie newspapers, pickets, etc.

We need to come up with a friend at the Times/PI that has some b@lls and will publish why it is not acceptable to harvest wild steelhead, and then list those sleezeballs that sell it.

Steve

#106461 - 01/16/01 03:22 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
G-spot Offline
Fry

I saw farm raised steelhead at QFC and, boy, were they ugly. Nevertheless, my curiosity won out and I bought some.

I took it home and cooked it up. My impression was that it tasted like **** - I could only imagine that short, fat fish with it beaten up fins as I choked down a few bites. It was bad, but it did not remind me of anybody's ex-wife (see post above).

I don't know how much of my reaction was psychological. Perhaps somebody less well versed in our sport would have found it tasty. Irrespective, I am not about to conduct that experiment on any of MY friends.

As for retail outlets selling supposed wild steelhead, this is a matter that the authorities should address. I hope the penalties for selling wild steelhead are stiff enough to prevent the retailers from risking a second offense.

If anybody knows the relevant laws on this subject, please could you post them.

Happy New Year to all and many thanks to Bob who does such a great job running this site and catching fish for his clients.

G-spot
Seattle

#106462 - 01/17/01 12:30 AM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Preston,

This is what information I have on steelhead caught in AK. I fished commercially up in SE for 5 seasons. We did not catch many steelhead, probably less than 50 each year. All were wild. Most were kept by the crew since the price was too low to sell them. I believe that they do release hatchery steelhead in some of the road accessible systems. I do recall seeing signs suggesting the release of all wild fish. The law allowed two trophy steelhead (greater than 36 inches)per year with no limit on hatchery steelhead. Most of the fish we caught were smallish (likely PWI fish). In the mid 80's, my brother's boat caught and weighed at Phillips cannery a 47 lb. steelhead and a 97 lb chinook on the same day. Both fish were dressed before weighing. Pictures were taken but I have never seen them.

DaveD

#106463 - 01/17/01 02:31 AM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I recently read and article on hatchery salmon in Alaska and their effect on wild runs. Apparently 1.6 billion smolts are released into Alaskan waters. These contribute 56% of the Cook Inlet,Kodiak and Prince Williams Sound salmon fisheries. In Prince Williams sound 78% of the pink harvest is hatchery produced. In Southeast Alaska 70% of the chum are hatchery fish. The ADFG web site has some pretty extensive stats on hatchery salmon in the salmon fisheries/salmon enhancement section.

#106464 - 01/17/01 12:43 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I'm all for a picket line at the Market in Lacey.

Dead Wild Fish makes me ILL!!!

I don't understand why the Quinalts need to net the Chehalis

Targeting Wild fish is wrong I don't give a **** about inadvertant catch BS....theres plenty of fish in you're river....all they're doing is taking from one system and not returning $hit to it...at a 1.25 a lb I think I'm gonna be sick.ARRGGG....Os

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{

#106465 - 01/17/01 03:17 PM Re: Wild Steelhead for sale
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I'm up for a picket line, at Pike Place as well. The fish markets hate to see, I tend to get loud and make a scene when I see wild fish in piles packed on ice. I know I've lured their customers into walking away in the past. In larger #ers it could only hurt business more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |