THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107173 - 01/29/01 11:54 AM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
Mountin' Man Offline
Parr

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Monty,
Quote:
"The funny thing about attacking catch and release is that those who practice it would give up fishing altogether for a significant period of time to improve runs. The question is if the meat sporties would give up fishing altogether for a period of time to improve the runs? I don't think so."

The above quote seemed pretty clear to me. But as you've informed me it doesn't say what it appears to say. I guess you are right and I am wrong.

Quote:
"It's clear you have a chip on your shoulder towards anyone with one ounce of conservation in his blood. You have labeled me..."

Sounds like you're doing some labeling yourself. BTW, I'll put my lifetime conservation donations of time, effort, and money against yours any day. I don't know you or your efforts but I guarantee the odds are in my favor.

#107174 - 01/29/01 12:12 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
Mountin' Man Offline
Parr

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Rich G,
Regarding your last post. If you are including me as one of those saying that c&r is as "bad" as c&k please don't. That's not my position at all. Just wanted to clarify that.
My question was if you believe, as you said you did, that the runs couldn't support the killing of a single fish would you be willing to quit fishing (even C&R). You stated that you would and I admire that. I just wanted to see if your post was one of true conviction or simply another ranting about people who choose to bonk a nate occasionally (which is perfectly legal at this time). Your answer made it clear where you stand and I can appreciate your position.

Doug

#107175 - 01/29/01 12:32 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Mountin' Man,
In your last post, I would appreciate you not leaving out words if you are going to quote me.(your first quote of mine leaves out any words I guess that don't pertain to your point)

I do release all wild steelhead. I would encourage all anglers to release wild steelhead. I would like to see the laws make releasing wild steelhead mandatory. Yes, in my eyes, in this time of critical mass I do consider bonking wild steelhead to be ethically questionable, to say the least.

I do appreciate in all sincerity your time, effort and money that has gone directly to help steelhead fishing. Thanks. I will however, choose to do my part in a different way.

#107176 - 01/29/01 12:42 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Mountin' Man,
In your last post, I would appreciate you not leaving out words if you are going to quote me.(your first quote of mine leaves out any words I guess that don't pertain to your point)

I do release all wild steelhead. I would encourage all anglers to release wild steelhead. I would like to see the laws make releasing wild steelhead mandatory. Yes, in my eyes, in this time of critical mass I do consider bonking wild steelhead to be ethically questionable, to say the least.

I do appreciate in all sincerity your time, effort and money that has gone directly to help steelhead fishing. Thanks. I will however, choose to do my part in a different way.

#107177 - 01/29/01 12:56 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
Well all, I just don't get it. wild fish stocks are decreasing every where, and people still want to kill'em. Just because our state has their heads up their a$$ and haven't shut things down doesn't mean we can't do our part, come on HOW BAD DO YOU REALLY NEED A FISH. It can't be a food for the table issue, because $$$ we spend fishing would buy a hell of a lot of food. I think its the look at what I caught syndrome, well folks pictures will do that to, Let it go and you'll be a bigger man for it, and no one can say you're at fault when the fish are gone. If the state cared about the resource they would shut things down for catch and kill state wide and only allow c&r on healthy rivers, the couple that are left. And then make it illegal to buy wild Steelhead, If something is done soon then maybe just maybe the wild fish stocks will increase enough to have a managed harvest every now and then to keep those that have the need to bonk'em in the head happy. And if current practices stay as is, you'll see the bonkers will be the first ones crying when the fish are gone,watch

And RICH G if mountain man and others think i'm on my high horse for the way I feel, I DON'T REALLY GIVE A S#!+ I have much respect for you and passion you have for fish and the sport of fishing.

[This message has been edited by FISHNBRAD (edited 01-29-2001).]

#107178 - 01/29/01 03:28 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
i personally havent bought a fishing liscense this year and dont plan to unless someone invites me along on a springer trip on the columbia (hint hint) pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze..sorry for begging, but anyways im tired of how the fish are managed here in this state...and so the state wont get my money it may only be 20 bucks but they will be jus that much shorter.. **SCHITZO**

#107179 - 01/29/01 04:17 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
Well Rich;
I guess if you spin 'em, you own 'em.!!

#107180 - 01/29/01 06:39 PM Re: Kept wild Steelhead on the Quileute system.
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Count me in with the crowd that just doesn't get it when folks bonk wild fish in this day and age. I was out on the Sol Duc over the weekend and was pleased as punch to see a couple older guys with a really nice hen tethered to their boat that was bound for Snider Creek. When we first came up on them we thought for sure if they had got a fish it would be in the box. We told them it looked like they had a little friend for the rest of the day. One of the guys said she would be making friends for US down the road. Amen.

We had some good luck on our own and sent a very, very healthy buck on his way after a couple pictures.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (FishCatcher, wolverine, 1 invisible), 1446 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |