Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107249 - 01/29/01 07:46 PM First Steelhead
Cut of the Jib Offline
Egg

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Went Steelhead fishing for the first time in my life this past weekend on the Lower Hoh. My buddy and I put it at 7:30 in the morning, after wiping frost off the boat, and proceeded to the "Honey Hole." As we sat anchored in the hole, our plugs about 25 feet out and having no action, I asked my buddy whether fishing the plug right off the front of the boot would produce results. He replied, in a very non-comittal way, "stranger things have happened." Taking that as a vote of confidence in my proposed methods, I let my plug and diver out about 8 feet off the front of the boat. About a minute later, I hooked into what my buddy later would describe as the "Stupidest Steelhead in the entire river." My buddy (who I will refer to as King Marine), clearly jelous of my fishing skill, decided the best way to help me get the fish in the boat would be to wrap his line around mine as he reeled in. He further contributed by bringing a bird's nest up from the bottom of the hole to pile on top of the mess. Not yet satisfied with his efforts, when I finally got the fish close enough for netting, he repeatedly knocked it in the head with what could only be viewed by an unbiased on-looker as an all out attempt to knock the pink plug right out of the fish's mouth. Fortunately, the Dumbest Steelhead in the River apparently believed the net was some sort of safe haven, and swam into it despite my buddy's efforts to set him free. A hatchery fish, he went about 15 lbs. I can now say that I am as hooked on Steelheading as that fish must have been on my plug.

#107250 - 01/29/01 08:10 PM Re: First Steelhead
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Way to go Jib!
Great Story, too.
It sounds like the Hook is set for Life.

GutZ

#107251 - 01/29/01 08:26 PM Re: First Steelhead
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Congratulations! I'm not so sure that I'd fish with King Marine anymore. It sure feels nice when you can outfish an experienced fisherman. Then again maybe its luck.

#107252 - 01/29/01 10:23 PM Re: First Steelhead
sturgeon Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
Cut of the jib, Just wanted to say good job, and that the story made me laugh too. <*((>>{

#107253 - 01/29/01 10:52 PM Re: First Steelhead
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Funny Story.

Sometimes it takes someone new to the sport to find a different method. Congrats on your first. My advice is to stop now, while you still can. J/K

#107254 - 01/30/01 01:24 AM Re: First Steelhead
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
Cut of the Jib:
Very best congrats to you.
A man's first fish is a special thing, hope you remember it fondly for the rest of your life. Also... a fishing partner like the one you have deserves all the special gestures you may ever extend, and the verbal abuse as well.
I know mine gets what he deserves, anytime I can come up w/ something new.
Now just keep the pressure on, but dont horse him, and dont forget to release native fish.
Congrats,
'Head hunter

#107255 - 01/30/01 01:38 AM Re: First Steelhead
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
After re-reading your post, then mine, maybe we oughta swap fishin partners. That way they'd be equally intellectually challenged, an we could go catch fish and watch them, all the while laughing as hard as the fish.

#107256 - 01/30/01 03:42 PM Re: First Steelhead
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Congrats on the first steelhead,you won't be forgetting that day any time soon.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#107257 - 01/31/01 05:45 PM Re: First Steelhead
Fish-Bite Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rainier, WA 98576
Well, looky here... What a nice message from my old buddy "Cut of the Jib". I guess its back to fishing by myself, you ingreat. See how that beginners luck treats you from the bank of the river. NEVER will I bee your foolish fishing partner again.

Just kidding pal, I'll try to knock your fish loose anytime. I bet you cant wait for the pictures. (grinning like the Cheshire cat you were) Later buddy.

#107258 - 02/01/01 03:00 AM Re: First Steelhead
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
JIbber, right-on, well remember my 1 st.Steelhead. Hope to share that with my little boy (8 yrs. old) hope I don't have to go to Alaska or russia to do it! chromer

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |