Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107638 - 02/04/01 09:31 PM Need some pointers on drift boating
Raptorwill Offline
Fry

Loc: poulsbo, wash ...
Well im geared up and got the cataraft and have my first float under my belt------now ---im in need of some river etiquit on what and how

1---when moveing downstream and a boat is anchored in a hole
a ---what is the best way to go around and if is small what to say

2. im running a small cataraft---- it will go over 3 inches of water----the willies drift boat behind has fallowed for the last few rapids with no prob(dont know the peaple)--i come upon a fork and the left looks nasty and right is shallow --the cat will make it but the drift boat wont-how do i convey to strangers that the right side is best suited

3 come up on a guy that has a fish on --
if i can anchor i will but if not ill try and beach but if all else fails whats the best way to aproach and is it better to try to back stoke or shoot through

thanks for any info and just lookin at what would be acceptible

i know all circumstances arnt the same

have my 200 hrs in -------its time to catch a ironhead

any other pointers apriciated

thanks
Will

#107639 - 02/04/01 11:36 PM Re: Need some pointers on drift boating
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
Raptorwill, I'm no expert but can offer you what I was taught in these situations. On your first question, I would try to go to the side of the anchored boat that they are NOT fishing on. If this is not possible, I would try to come as close as possible to their boat on the side they are fishing. This keeps you from rowing over the water the are fishing.

Never was taught about your second question, but I think most people would ask if they are unfamiliar with a section of river. If they don't they won't be following you through the next rapid.

If someone has a fish on, I would anchor if possible or back row and beach. If you try to shoot through and they lose the fish, you will probably hear about it, even if you are not at fault.

Like I say, I am no expert, but I have not been yelled at yet. Others may have different advice. Generally, common sense seems to play a big role. I am sure no matter what you do, some people will have a problem with it. It is good that you are asking these questions, before being put in these situations.

[This message has been edited by spooled (edited 02-04-2001).]

#107640 - 02/05/01 10:42 AM Re: Need some pointers on drift boating
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Rap,

The first question I'd say the side that they arn't fishin on or if your unsure you can alway ask what side that they want you to pass on same with bankies. I'd say on the second I wouldn't worry to much about the guy behind you unless your goin through a really nasty part but even then what do ya say? Hope this helps alittle

Tight lines

Kevin

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 946 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |