Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107697 - 02/06/01 06:37 AM Awesome Fishing Places
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't mind sharing a trip idea or dream (for the improbable but possible), post a description &/or picture of yours. See below this pic for a description.

[img]http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/aol?imgid=1443552[/img]

This is the Kitlope River in NW B.C. (pic and article from Beautiful British Columbia magazine). It is a total roadless river area. This awesome river flows into Douglas Channel (saltwater inlet); the same one the Kitimat River flows into. While the Kitmat is a great river, road access has taken a toll on it's runs in recent years (I fished it in '89 when 40,000+ huge Kings swam up it - best fishing I've ever enjoyed). The wilderness Kitlope R. still runs thick with trophy steelhead and Kings, as well as the other salmon species. The run timing is similar to other NW B.C. rivers. Only a very few people ever fish this river. A couple helicopter services out of Terrace, B.C. drop off fishers with a raft and all gear; on gravel bars like you see in the pic above. They come back to pick you up near the river mouth a few days later - if the brown bears haven't gotten you (take bear spray; the capsasin pepper type, and the AK47 type wouldn't be a bad idea - actually, bears in these type areas aren't used to people and most often will run if you make noise coming around corners). Fishing in the mainstem and up tributaries, like the one coming in from the right, should be as good as it gets anywhere on Earth (if the river is in good shape of course - which it usually is in the summer - the roadless Kilbella R. in from Rivers Inlet B.C. likely would be comparable). These 2 are at the top of my dream wish list. There are lots of others right up there though. Share one of yuours? Thanks. - Steve (RT)

[This message has been edited by Reel Truth (edited 02-08-2001).]

#107698 - 02/06/01 07:30 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Don't have any pictures to post, nor the knowledge to do it, but I have done a lot of reading on the Kamchatka run steelheads over in Russia. Just the thought of flying in on one of those old militray planes, or helicopters and fishing those rivers makes me dizzy. Don't know if i would ever have enough coing to pull it off, but I can dream. Copters, Commies, and Chromers. It just doesn't get any better than that. Who knows, you may even have all your gear ripped off, and be held hostage by a Russian Mafia.

#107699 - 02/06/01 11:59 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
I have a fishing video with Gary Loomis flyfishing on th Panoi River in Russia.. dozens of Atlantic salmon landed every morning.. fly in on the old Military helicopter, stay in framed tents. Pretty cool.

I also have a video about the Chasing of the Czar trout. Huge brown trout 10-15+ pounds... in Russia.

So I guess my dream fishing adventure would have to be to Russia.

My wife and I have always wanted to ride the Trans-Syberian train from coast to coast, maybe we can fit in a fishing trip too.

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#107700 - 02/06/01 03:55 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Siberia, so I could fish for those Taimen, which is a troutlike species that gets up to over 50 lbs. and something like 5 ft long. I read an article about them where the native people from the region would hunt prarie dogs and then use them for bait...whole!!!!

#107701 - 02/06/01 04:17 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm with on this one, Justin. I carry around all the brochures to go to Mongolia to fish for those taimen.

They look like giant brown trout to me, and have been observed eating ducks, muskrats, and rats.

A client there had an estimated 12 lb. taimen eaten off his line by an estimated 200 lb. taimen.

The river they are fishing in is fairly shallow, and air clear. They sight fish with deer hear mice, and the fish are absolutely explosive on the take.

That would be tough to beat.

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#107702 - 02/06/01 05:38 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Yeah, the Taimen is the worlds largest salmonid. Check out this link for additonal info: http://combat-fishing.com/taimen.html

Now that's what I call a big fish!

This photo is from the Acute Angling Taimen Home Page http://www.acuteangling.com/Taimen/taihome.htm

[This message has been edited by SAUKit2em (edited 02-06-2001).]

#107703 - 02/06/01 08:55 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
greg Offline
Smolt

Loc: fort lewis, wa 98433
Wow. Un*******believable!
Greg

#107704 - 02/06/01 09:05 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
molano Offline
Smolt

Loc: Naches, Wa. 98937
Wow is all I have to say. WOW!

#107705 - 02/10/01 12:07 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
sturgeon Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
WOW.. is right!!!!! That fish is almost as big as the fisherman.<*(()>{

#107706 - 02/10/01 04:27 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
Dino Offline
Smolt

Loc: Walla Walla,WA
Here are some very cool pictures of Taimen and some other cool eastern fish

http://www.taimen.ru/english/index_eng.htm

Click on the "Photogallery" link. Some big ugly fish there.

50 pound (or 100 pound if your lucky) fish on skated squirrel patterns...that would be unbelievable. I can dream anyway.

#107707 - 02/10/01 11:40 PM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim, WA
The first picture with the guy and the dead taimen and the AK-47 just about does it for me. A lot of dead taimen in the other photo's too. Looks like they will go the way of our wild steelhead.

#107708 - 02/12/01 10:17 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
Dino Offline
Smolt

Loc: Walla Walla,WA
Your probably right.In the Taimen's homelands (Mongolia and Russia) most everything is for sale. The pictures were referenced so that one might see what the beasties look like. It's a russian club (which oddly enough had a how to release Taimen safely page and claims to endorse catch and release...not suprising that everyone there doesn't agree). There are some neat underwater shots too.

#107709 - 02/13/01 04:45 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Nile Perch! Africa!
Watched a show with Larry Dalberg hooking some monsters!

#107710 - 02/15/01 02:39 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I'd like to catch some golden trout in my home state (WA.) I've got all the fly gear & ultra-lite spinning a soul could ask for. Done lot's of cross-country back packing in skagit Co. whale lk. snowking,cyclone got lot's of cutts & rainbow's. Any one in the know that want's to share please E-mail. I'm 100% C&R and Not amiss to hiking 5-10 miles to see my dream!

#107711 - 02/15/01 02:47 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Kamchatka

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special

#107712 - 02/15/01 11:07 AM Re: Awesome Fishing Places
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Chrome, I too have been looking for the elusive golden trout. I once saw some about ten years back in a tiny lake, but I am sure they are not in there now. Good luck

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 1439 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |